Oct. 15th Open Cup Final at Giants Stadium

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by firefan2001, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Re: Re: Oct. 15th Open Cup Final at Giants Stadium

Huh, was it only two days ago when rampaging stupidity prompted this warning, on the Bob Bradley "regret" thread:

Take it to heart.

2. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: Re: This is absurd

Do they? thats a joke too.

3. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    quit being so reasonable.

4. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Away supporters section!

A midweek final is a great tradition, and it also means that I can go! I'll try to get a group of people to come with me, but I just wanted to know if we should try to coordinate where we get our tickets. Is there a designated away end at Giants Stad? I bet only real fans will make this one, anyway, so it won't be too bad sitting anywhere, as long as there are Fire fans nearby.

(I would have come if it was in Chicago, too, of course, it's just closer now.)

5. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Indeed.

We couldn't give them the timeslot they wanted, and that's pretty much the only reason we're playing in NJ.

we'd have ended up playing in DC too.

6. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Re: This is absurd

Because they don't play the Champions' League or UEFA Cup finals on weekdays.

7. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Re: Away supporters section!

There's a few fans out there, but I doubt there will be many if any travelling. It's very difficult on a wednesday to go so far.

8. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Great the federation is chock full of amateur morons. Wait lets not have the final infront of 50,000 fans in CHicago lets have it in front of 12,000 fans who don't give a *#*#*#*# in NewYork. Nice move retards!! Nice move!! UGH!

9. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    I agree. This has got to be the dumbest decison by the federation by far. Absolutely the dumbest!! In fact I am going to call the federation and complain!!

10. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Depending on the details. I feel the overwhelming need to go to NY for the first time in my life.

11. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    This, hands down, one of the dumbest posts I've ever read. Everyone knows there will only be 4000 people TOPS at Giants Stadium. :)

12. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Whether or not you actually wind somebodys fans up, you're the one who signs your name to a total heap of bullsiht. But it's your credibility, not mine, right?

Yep. And as usual you have none. Crawl back to your hole, troll.

13. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Apparently we should not have scheduled the game. I am so furious that the USSF is this amateur and dumb to think that they will get enough people in NewYork to cover the 100k rent for the game. Absolutely stupid. UGH when is that federation going to be run by someone else than college interns and people that can't manage their own check book!!!

14. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    This was a poor decision. Period. I understand Metro fans are uninterested in the logic of it (by the by, when did this become the metro thread anyways?), I would probably be uninterested if I were a Metro fan as well.
    But the fact remains that for a double/triple header involving Mex/URA, the USOC final, and possibly the Peter Nowak testimonial would have drawn a great number of fans to SF, far more then the Metros will draw to the swamp, and as previously stated the Fire already had a nice jump on selling tickets. The USOC group can be FSW's bitch, thats fine, something tells me they probably aren't getting paid enough to do it, but feel obligated to anyways. Its a poor decision and thats all there is to it, but life goes on. By the by, is Mathis suspended for this one after the Franchino brawl?

15. LESTER

LESTER New Member

Nov 4, 2002
    NYC

This just made me laugh. Wait you probably meant to say was that in Chicago you'd have 50,000 Mexicans who don't even recognize any of the Fire players, most of whom would leave before the match started or come after it ended...while in NJ there might only be 12k, but they'd actually want to see the match. If you think the fans out here don't care, well then you drastically underestimate the frustration of eight years worth of futility.

16. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    If this is the case, I disagree even more.

Worst case, playing it in Chicago would have meant a 2 hour tape delayed broadcast on FSW. Best case, FSW moves the time up and shows it live. It would have been a nice event in Chicago with a sizable crowd, and a chance to add/reacquire some Fire fans (from the Mexico-Uruguay ticket buyers).

I think both sound better than playing in an empty stadium in NY/DC.

17. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Further confirmed by Peter Wilt @ the Abbey watch party last night.

I'm sure having MLS "flagship" franchise host the game was alway the plan but apparently FSW cemented the deal.

No Mex/URG for me!!

18. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Apparently what seems to be happenign is that with the Nowak tribute game and the Mexico game the same night the open cup final would be a 5. So they threw it to NJ. OK so here is the executive decion that apparently MLS and USSF can't seem to work out because of ego. You push the Nowak game to the 18th. You have the Open Cup game at 7:30 and the Mexcio game at 9:30 TA DAAAAAA! You have 15k Fire fans and 30k Mexico fans. Wow hope that was not too hard USSF!!

19. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Or a Nowak tribute match either. I mean, you gonna miss a championship game with your team playing or some inconsequential games?

I'll be in front of my television that night. And what kind of tribute will that be to Peter if all his fans are doing the same?

20. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    It's just possible that the USSF considers the Open Cup important enough to stand on its own, and not have to share the night with an international friendly and a home-town tribute.

It is also possible that over 20k will be drawn to the match at Giants Stadium. It's happened before, many timest. The fact that you would be delighted to see only a handful show up, does not mean that will happen. An attendance projection is not a self-fulfilling prophecy. I could just as easily predict that 80% of the Mex-Ur attendance would evaporate after the friendly, those fans having no desire to see a US Final of any kind.

However, if the match were to be played at NSF, I would hope for a record-breaking attendance that focusses more attention on the Open Cup, something that would contribute to the continued growth of soccer here in the States. That would be the more cosmopolitan view. A narrower perspective still prevails in the City That Works. If that's what it takes to work, you can have it.

21. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Insane

What a loss of a marketing opportunity. Idiotic. All I know is that as I'm walking down 18th St. to Soldier Field next Friday night, I'm going to take an extra moment to flip off the Soccer House as I walk by.

22. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    That didn't have anything to do with the decision. it was TV, plain and simple.

23. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I really hope we can move this to next year as a preseason game or something. It'd be a real disservice to have it that night or really anythime this season. he deserves a chance to play with his team once more, and he won't get it with the close of the seaosn and playoffs coming up.

Hey, is there anyway i can bum a ride on the team flight so I can go? ;)

24. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Do you need a ladder to get on and off your high horse? If you truly believed your non-partisan bullcrap then you wouldn't contridict yourself in your own post.

There is a chance of a decent crowd in NY. And that's where the game is going to be so anyone would hope that there will be a good crowd. I plan to be there myself if I can pull it off. On the other hand it was almost gauranteed that the crowd would be huge at New Soldier Field. In Chicago you will draw just as many if not more people who are interested in the US Open Cup Final as you would in NY. That's a fact. You would also have thousands more that are there to see the international match. Many would not stick around for the Open Cup match. True. But many would. You sell soccer fans very short if you think that as a whole they would just leave when there is a chance to watch another quality match and stretch their entertainment dollars farther.
    If you are truly interested in promoting the sport and expanding the audience as you say then you too would be upset that the game isn't at Soldier Field on October 15th. In fact you are just a self serving Metro's fan. Just like I am a self serving Fire fan. There's no shame in that game. People just need to get over themselves and see the truth of the situation.

25. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Actually, I don't think it is possible. USSF thinks with their wallet for this event, as they should since it most certainly losses money.

FSW must pay them enough that they are willing to go with the high rent at Giants Stadium.

As far as actual crowd size goes, Chicago has a proven track record with the two largest attendance figures for the final. NY has the argument that this is their first shot at silverware EVER, so they should draw well.

Of course, Columbus had that argument last year, and their attendance sucked.

Oh well, we can win it there.