OC Blues 2014 Post Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange County SC' started by County_Coalition, Nov 20, 2014.

1. County_Coalition

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To bring this thread back around. Looking at the season the name change and move was decent for the Blues. Not overwhelming results but some positive movement in exposure and attendance. We all know the short comings of the FO over the years but this season there were definitely improvements and some real foundations to build on.

I don't feel that UCI is the best and I would rather play at Santa Ana Stadium even with the Turf and Football lines (just better for watching a game live and right next to Downtown). But USL is implementing a "No Football lines rule" for the 2015 season which limits us to Stadiums with a track. Fullerton is the only real option and we would get kicked out on a whim for School events and have to scramble for a place to play.

2. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the rebrand definitely helped, but I feel as though they still have a ways to go. It wasn't ALL about the name. They need more local marketing, which they are currently working, and most importantly, they need a competitive team and their own location. I wouldn't mind seeing them make a move to somewhere in Anaheim, or like County Coalition said, somewhere in downtown Santa Ana, which is known as the downtown of Orange County. They just need to create more of a buzz and create some rivalries. Hopefully Galaxy II and Sacramento can emerge as some. But, most of all, they rarely make the playoffs and don't realy have an exciting team. I hope these are things they work on in the future because I'm glad to finally see Orange County have their own team, even though it is third division.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Interesting.

Wonder what Dayton is going to do, then (unless the answer is "Move to Cincinnati.").

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would venture a guess the name had virtually nothing to do with it.

They have money. They are clueless about how to run a club. They had a youth administrator as their general manager. They have never had anyone with any professional experience heading up an actual front office that made an actual attempt to sell, market and connect to its community.

It's not because they don't have the resources to (if they really spent $800k the first year). It's because they have chosen not to deploy those resources. And now that other teams have cropped up around them, they can subsist a while longer if they choose to, I guess.

But the landscape is changing. These guys are going to get left behind.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I read today that TFC had acquired a USL Pro franchise, I actually thought they were going to announce TFC bought the Blues to become TFC2.

But I don't think thats the case.

6. County_Coalition

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There really isn't anywhere to play in Anaheim. Glover Stadium? overrun with homeless though. I've heard rumblings of wanting to build in Great Park in Irvine where the team already trains. Not sure how serious it is though or if it is more my wishful thinking. Something like what Tuscon built would work well there and be cost effective.

7. County_Coalition

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flex Buffchest,
    Our Supporters group will probably be having meetings in January for the 2015 season. Would love to have you come out. If you are on FB shoot us a message and I'll also add you to the private group page for the Coalition. Really striving to help this club grow despite the FO's short comings.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/County-Line-Coalition/183695264994409

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need ANY local marketing. They currently have no marketing at all. Which is no small part of their overall problem. If you don't let people know you exist... no one is going to care you exist.

9. County_Coalition

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also they've started making some good moves by bringing in Tom Payne ex Galaxy Pres. as a consultant. He has started taking on a pretty big role with the club this offseason.

Got o 1hr 15m 51s

10. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there has been some lately. I've seen OC Blues flyers and posters at some of the bars in downtown Fullerton and downtown Santa Ana. That's a hell of a lot better than when they were the LA Blues. I saw absolutely nothing, and I live 10 min at most from Cal State Fullerton. Being born and raised in Orange County, I really hope this club sticks it out and finds a way to succeed, but they need to incorporate more of the diehard soccer fans in somehow. Right now, there just isn't a strong enough supporters section. The games I've gone to just seem like a playground with kids running around all over the place. Don't get me wrong, the diehards that are there do a great job, there just isn't enough of them yet. Hopefully that changes. Because you look at teams like Sacramento and Orlando and then you look at the Blues and you realize there is still a lot of work to do. I truly believe OC can support a soccer team, it's just going to be tough when you have a world class organization like LA Galaxy I and II so close to compete with.

11. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to. I've been an LA Galaxy fan since the late 90s, but I lived my whole life in Orange County, so I'd still love to support my local team. I'll watch or your message!

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Random. I used to go to Splash and Salsa games back in the day. Not sure what to expect, tbh. Looks like he's been working with youth groups and high school kids since then.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had a youth administrator as their GM last season, so maybe they're really into that side of it.

15. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "other" Jon Spencer? Isn't he still there?

16. County_Coalition

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same GM currently. We should be able to put together a rocking U-17 squad. :)

OC Blue Star and Anaheim Splash? Now we just need to find some staff from OC Zodiac and California Surf. Really round out Orange County Soccer history.

17. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Orange County FC from back in the day before the NASL.

18. County_Coalition

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't find any info on them. Do you have any links on them? Would love to learn a bit about them.

19. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There isn't much about them on the internet, but they did play against Bayern Munich in the 60s.

OrangeCounty-ByernMunich-10_06_66-InUSA-L.jpg

Also, here's their Wiki link......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_County_F.C.

20. County_Coalition

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. I remember hearing a lot about them. I wish the Blues would somehow incorporate the Orange County FC history by maybe a third kit or something. I know it's not much, but OC is low on soccer history and they really were an interesting piece in OC soccer. Californa Surf had some good players and games, but they came and went so fast.

22. County_Coalition

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States