Observations from the field.. US/Honduras

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Monkey Boy, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was great to be able to go to a game. The crowd as probably only 1/3 US fans, but the atmosphere was still electric and I was lucky enough to have tickets at the center line just a few rows up.

From my few, it appeared that Dempsey feels out of place on the field with the other guys. Spector was the exception, as both of them seemed to have an understanding of where to go and how to feed off of each other to work the right side. It's likely because they both play in England, but at least Spector seemed to be able to work with everyone else on the field also. The only other player Demspey seemed to work well with was Benny.

Everytime Dempsey touched the ball, he was almost immediately double-teamed -- definitely a coaching strategy. He needs to work more moving the ball faster instead of putting his head down and dribbling. On the first goal, both Clark and Mastro moved up to give him passing options -- he ignored them both and lost the ball while Clark and Mastro were consequently upfield and out of defensive position. That left our defense open to scramble and cover while players were open.

Clark seemed out of place many times, uncertain of how to contribute. He dropped back further as the game went on to support defensively, but didn't position himself all that well.

Bornstein worked well with Donovan. He was also really effective moving and working up top with Jozy at the end of the game. He added a spark whereever he was on the field -- gotta love the energy even after cramping.

Donovan is one of the few players who actually has a decent first touch -- many of the other players on the field left a lot to be desired here. We give away too many balls because players can't accept passes, something Jozy really needs to work on.

We gave up way too much space in the midfield to allow the other team to do what they want. I realize that players are trying to contain the opposition, but it makes things easy for the other team to move through our midfield.

Final one-offs: Spector and Bornstein were solid and deserve more time. Donovan is still our best player and needs to stay on the wing midfield with real defenders in support behind him. Gooch and Boca have a great understanding and it was missing when DeMerit came in. Gooch deserves more credit. Jozy works hard and needs to improve his positioning and first touch - he can't be left alone. Getting the ball to Casey was just a way to give it back to Honduras up the field - he couldn't link with anyone and isn't comfortable with the ball at his feet. Demspey needs to read the field better and move the ball. Clark is best used as a defensive midfield sub. Howard is great! Feilhaber needs more time with a better midfield partner. Would have liked to see how well Adu could have worked in place of Dempsey. We need our players to work more on their first touch!!!!!!!!!!!! Far too many cheap/easy give-aways. Far too much space allowed in the midfield.

2. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Nice job.

I will say that "ceding space" in midfield is not necessarily a bad idea, especially against a team with a dynamic and great player like Wilson Palacios. Honduras scored NOT because we ceded space with a good shape on defense, but because Dempsey foolishly lost the ball behind his central mids. He dribbled into the wrong position with his head down, right into the aforementioned Palacios.

3. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree and actually mentioned that as the reason -- both Clark and Mastro moving up and Dempsey ignoring them, lost the ball and none of the three were able to help as they quickly moved it toward goal.

I'm not saying so much that we shouldn't respect the opponent and leave ourselves open to get beat, just that we need to be tighter defensively. There were many cases where the guy marking the ball was a good 3-4 yards away, allowing the players full opening to move and pass as they wish.

I think we should get closer and try to block off at least the obvious passing lanes. Make it more difficult to move. When guys stepped up the pressure as such, we usually won the ball back. When we didn't, they moved the ball through midfield with relaxed ease.

4. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My observations from 117:

*Pablo looks a step too slow. For me, this game bumped up Ricardo Clark up the depth chart.

*Dempsey had one of his worst games in awhile. I can't believe he missed that wide open chance.

*I was surprised at how well Benny played considering his club situation.

*Spector needs to keep getting looks at RB.

*I'm going to catch hell for this, but we missed a Brian Ching out there, and not just this game either. Seeing Connor Casey play really makes you appreciate what Ching brings to the table.

*Jozy is definitely going to need to be playing for his club this year. Even if he doesn't start, at least some sub minutes. His touch looked rusty. There are better days ahead for this kid though.

5. spurgin

spurgin Member

Jun 28, 2000
    Lawrence, KS
    From section 141...

* Demsey crime wasn't his give away or his missed shot - it was his lack of heart the whole 1st half. Only after Feilhaber and Spector started running did he join in w/ them. We need Dempsey to lead the attack, not wait until others start it.

* Beasley gets slipped to left back at end of game? Nooooo! He should NEVER be allowed to get near left back. He defends like an offensive player, stabbing at the opponent and consequently taking self out of play. Not good if your last man back. Also, he often takes lines that put him on the sideline side of the ball vs. on the goal side of the ball. Just criminal choices if your the last man back.

* Spector... he's fast enough. What he doesn't have in speed he has does have in knowing where to position himselvel defensively. He makes Gooch & Boca way more effective because those 2 know their right side is stable. Also made a number of nice runs up the wing in second half!

* Timmy Howard! Nice save at the end there baby!!!

* Bornstein... I was pleased by his defensive play. Maybe it's simply that he played steady defense (nothing stellar). On the back line just give me a defender 1st and any attacking is icing.

* Not the biggest Clark fan but he did actually posess the ball well enough in middle while being pressured - didn't lose the ball much like in the past.

* Feilhaber REALLY changed the nature of the game. Actually, wasn't sure if it was Honduras just deciding to settle for tie or if it was Feilhaber --- but we owned that 2nd half.

* Thought DeMerrit was solid.

WE ARE RED, WE ARE WHITE, WE ARE YANKEE DYNAMITE!!!!!!!!

6. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Much appreciated. Your observation about Dempsey was obviously zeroed in by both CR & Honduras. Clint must do a better job of not only picking the right spots to dribble, but also anticipating and seeing the double-teams and finding a release option more quickly. I also agree about Clark. For all his good work, energy, etc. his tactical understanding is still not where you want it to be- that accounts for his lack of decisiveness in his movements.

In fairness to Casey, he was thrown right in there with very little prior work with the guys. He needs this trip to SA to see what he can contribute. Bad first touch? Duh. I'm not sure that can be improved all that much with most of these guys. I look to the youth coaches to correct the problem in the next generation. Feilhaber is so frustrating- his skill set is beyond most of the other players, but will he finally stay healthy, humble, and play with more bite and without costly mistakes? Stay tuned...

7. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I think that players can work on and improve skills as they get older also.

Zidane had great first touch - it was something that he always worked to keep sharp and improve. It was a major part of his training to have someone pass odd balls to him with a defender at his back and he'd practice different thinks he could do with the ball all based on just his first touch and movement.

There's so much training time put into monitoring players' physical condition and running, and there should be as these are important. But I believe that more of them should be also focusing on improving this skill which can make such a huge difference in the game.

8. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I thought Casey played OK, but both forwards had a hard time receiving and holding the ball. Yes, you do appreciate Brian Ching when you see that.

Beasley went to left back because Bornstein had a cramp and we were out of subs. Better to have a fresh legged Beasley back there than a cramped up Bornstein, especially as Honduras was pressing hard for the equalizer.

Sometimes, circumstances dictate the choice you have to make, even if you don't particularly like it and wouldn't make it otherwise.

9. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    I completely agree. The other skill that clearly needs more practice is the ability to place shots on frame. How many goals would Dempsey have (for USA and Fulham) if he could stop blasting so many shots over the bar?