Obscure Euro 1980 qualifiers schedule

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Gibraldo, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    As i record dates and kick off times, I had noticed, that the match Scotland v Portugal was played on 26th of march 1980, long after the final draw.

wikipedia stated also that the original match schedules were ending in february 1980.

does anyone know, why the match scotland v portugal was scheduled so much later and if it was rescheduled, what has been the reason and when was the original date they should have played?

unclesox repped this.
  2. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Apparently Alex McLeish made his debut for Scotland in that game.

HTH

3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I love trying to research things like this. :cool:

Scotland v Portugal was supposed to be played on February 6, 1980.
    But heavy snow hit Glasgow the prior week. With the pitch in a disastrous state and no set timetable on when it could be worked on, the Scottish FA informed UEFA and the FPF on February 2 that the match should be postponed. This was done to avoid players and officials from making a worthless trip.

It should be noted that this was the second Euro qualifying fixture in Glasgow that was postponed.
    Scotland v Belgium was originally supposed to be played on February 7, 1979. But due to the severe cold weather that hit during the 'Winter of Discontent' the match was postponed sine die. It was eventually played ten months later on December 19. This explains the unusual scheduling of the game taking place just one month after their first meeting, Belgium v Scotland on November 17.

It's interesting to note the the draw for the 1980 Euro Finals took place on *January 16, 1980.
    Yet there were three qualifiers played after the draw had been conducted:
    6 February 1980 : England v Ireland
    6 February 1980 : Scotland v Portugal, postponed to March 26.
    27 February 1980 : West Germany v Malta
    As far as I could find, those were the original scheduled dates for all three fixtures. (Part of me is not fully convinced of this. I'll try to do more digging.)
    Both England-Ireland and W.Germany-Malta were played on those dates listed.

* A few publications list the draw as having taken place on February 16 but I found a Spanish newspaper clipping dated January 16 saying the draw was to take place "today", The January 17 edition listed the results of the draw. Interestingly, the draws for the quarterfinals of the three UEFA club competitions took place the same day

4. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    #4 Gibraldo, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    @unclesox thank you very much. how much of a help you have been!

complex sequence of event. precious info.

they could have simple moved the second match to another location, but these were the days... :)

to help you with the draw date of the finals. it was in january. you can check "La Stampa" newspaper archive. It is available online for free.