O'Brien's comments on ESPN

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Chowderhead, May 25, 2006.

1. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    During the ninety second-segment during which we saw Reyna arriving for his MRI and Arena "call out" Johnson, O'Brien had something to say while in line at the boarding gate.

If I remember correctly (and I do hope that someone has the text of this; at work my access to such things is limited), he said something like "We're all one. This is all one experience..."

I know that I have parodized him (ad nauseam, to some) but I really do get a kick out of his comments. Honestly, though, I don't know whether to be relieved or even more concerned. The comments suggest a detachment worthy of Manny Ramirez and a counter-cultural Buddhism-Unitarianism worthy of, say, Jon Anderson or some of the dudes from Hampshire that I met at the Brand X / Dixie Dregs gig at the old Rusty Nail.

Has the Eastern therapy and acupuncture pushed him that far out there? I ask this respectfully and seriously.

2. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I hear he and Shirley McClain are close, in more ways than one.

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was being a smartass because it appeared they were flying commercial.

4. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    huh?

look man, it's obvious that you have a distaste for "counter-cultural Buddhism-Unitarianism" (whatever that is) but that this guy is even playing is amazing. not that he's moving and playing soccer physically. but that the guy still has confidence in his game to show up on the field after all the trauma that his body has experienced. not to mention all the constant attention to his injuries in the media.

so whatever kind of "therapy and acupuncture" this guy is on, i say, zen on bro.

5. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does "parodized" mean?

6. NYKeeper

NYKeeper New Member

May 18, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    I just saw the segment. I think you are taking what he said way out of context. It was a shot of the team at an airport, waiting in line for a commerical flight with "regular" travellers. O'Brien was joking around saying that the team is just a bunch of regular guys hanging out with regular people at the airport. He was sort of making fun of the fact that they were the Nats but still travelling like everyone else on commerical flights. It was pretty amusing.

7. LetsGoYanks

LetsGoYanks Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Dirty South
    His comments combined with his appearance reminded me of a Pseudo-Intellectual Spicoli a la 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High.'

8. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    He looked like a rock star with those sunglasses and that hair. And he kinda looked and sounded like he was high, so that only added to it. I thought he looked pretty cool.

9. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Do a nickel jolt in the Pioneer Valley and come talk to me. But I was never averse to a bit of inexpensive German wine, some Joni Mitchell LPs and an earthwoman on Thursday night in Amherst or Northampton.

So, give me credit.

And, if O'Brien was taking the piss, I applaud him. What he said was certainly not a jock platitude.

10. hirtme

hirtme Member

Nashville SC
    May 2, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you and JOB should lay off the chowder. The first thing he said was

"We're part of the people."

I took his statement to mean that the USA fans and team are united as one. No primadonna on the squad.

Team chemistry is one problem we don't have. Scoring goals - that's another story.

11. maddog36

maddog36 Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Bergen Cty, NJ
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he DID play for Ajax in Amsterdam!

12. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Budhists make excellent holding midfielders. Unitarians don't belong on the field anywhere though! ;)

13. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    It was a probably a reach for me to have said that. Until it appears in MW, I should avoid it. But the past participle form of "parody" is clumsy.

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I laugh now everytime i see John. His long hair and 5 o'clock shadow are so different than the clean shaven, short haired fellow we knew a few years back. It's great, I hope he leaves the old injury-plagued John behind. From what I remember is John has that off the wall type sense of humor and I were ESPN foloow him around and get a few more laughs.

15. Carrot

Carrot New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Boston
    I can't believe this is an actual thread with 15 replies.

16. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    Rev. Lovejoy: We also have Unitarian ice cream.
    Lisa: There's nothing there.
    Rev. Lovejoy: Exactly.

17. Dirty_South_Futbol

Dirty_South_Futbol New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    On the road
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone else on here think that it sucks that our MNT has to fly commercial? After the video, I even paused and wondered if they have to fly coach.

I know its America and soccer and its athletes are on the backburner, but don't you think a team that represents our nation at the world's biggst event, deserves their own jet? Couldn't Mark Cuban or Bill Gates, or even Bono from U2 loan us their private planes? :D

There is nothing wrong with flying coach, which I do all the time. I guess the plane thing is just a metaphor for me as to how much respect our MNT gets. Do you think England's fellas are flying Delta?

18. ECRedSoxFan

ECRedSoxFan Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Hirt, I think you have it right.

It seems like people are over-analyzing even the smallest thing when it comes to this team. All he was saying is that this team represents you, the American public, and they too are a part of said public. Being in line for a coach seat with your everday person was his example to show that they are no better than that person. They are one with America.....get it????

It's frustrating that someone could take that soundclip and turn into a referendum on someone's spiritual beliefs.

19. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya think?

20. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Holding midfielders should be, ideally, Lutheran or Roman Catholic. Buddhists are perfect for the hole. Christian Scientists, never ones to dial 911, could work in the center of the defense. "Sorry for snapping your femur and shattering your cheek bone, but have faith...and play on."

21. ECRedSoxFan

ECRedSoxFan Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I know....that was bit redundant to even post on BS. Sorry, Martin...:)

22. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    OK, pal. I'll meet you at the corner of Eddy Street and Potters Avenue.

23. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mainly because they can't decide which team to play for.

24. four

four Member

Oct 13, 2004
    Atlanta
    Fixed. And I agree.

This stove looks hot, ...........must ....... touch

25. bartw1069

bartw1069 New Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Anchorage, AK
    When I first saw JOB with the long hair I thought, all this guy needs is a beard and he's starring in a revival of "Jesus Christ, Superstar." I think he should grow out his beard and embrace the look. With Jesus in the midfield we will be unstoppable in Germany. Look what the Red Sox were able to do once Johnny Damon went with the Jesus look ... also, consider the marketing possibilities -- the "WWJOBD" t-shirts, bracelets, etc.