O'Brien & Celo...

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by The Perfesser, Apr 15, 2006.

1. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    And what do you think of O'Brien?

2. j66j66

j66j66 Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or, maybe more likely, those who grew up playing the game. i think a lot of joe sixpack complaints about soccer, and announcers' tone deafness to the game, are because they haven't played, and can't distinguish the signal from the noise.

like someone said upthread, DO'B would start stories as an attack got into high gear. the only explanation i can think of is that to dave, it's all just dribbly dribbly until the occasional shot. those who have played and watched a lot of the game are able to see the subtlety in the build-up or the defending, to know when a ball is a poor cross instead of a shot, etc.

3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am still willing to give Dave O'Brien some more time. I mean, you have to assume he applied for this job - that he actually wants it. So let's give him a chance. That said, it does sound like he's announcing a baseball game at times. But he is a competent announcer.

WHY I HATE BALBOA

At the end of the Crew v Fire game, O'Brien asked his thoughts on the result. Balboa said that the tie - one point each - was a good result for the Crew and the Fire? maybe it was for the Fire - but one point was a good result for the Crew.

Hell no it wasn't. This was their home opener. They'd lost 2 in a rown and got pounded in each game. They are now winless in 3 games. A tie a good result? Its better than a loss but it still ain't good.

That's why Wynalda is so muc better. At least he adds some color as a color commentator. Better than this middle of the road crap. Balboa may be fine for Regional broadcasts - like doing Rapids games that no one watches anyway - but not national broadcasts.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Four or five games into his soccer pbp career? I think he's doing fine.

Do I think he should "currently" be the #1 "voice of soccer" on TV in the U.S.? No.

However, he does have plenty of potential, and he has improved. And I'd say he does a better job than many of the team pbp announcers that have doing their jobs for years.

For my money, JP and Derek Rae are currently the two best U.S. based soccer PBP announcers.

5. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Nope, I don't think he should be number one. But I do accpet the minimum. I am suprised that that you think he is doing fine, but you ofcourse are entitled to your opinion.

I see almost no potential here. And better play by play? How so? I don;t hear that. But then again, I have a hard time getting past all his other assinine comments and babble to really give his PBP just do.

Improvement? I have heard each of his broadcasts and honeslty see zero improvement. The snow game against Poland was the clincher for me. This was one of the worst broadscasts I have EVER heard. And my tolerance is very high for these kind of things.

He doesn't know the game, thats clear. I can live with that if he would just do the play by play. But he doesn't. He's babbles about other stuff. He says things that are just untrue. He's doesn't seem to understand, just like a socccer guy might not understand the nuances of baseball. He's awful, and being paired with that other Bozo just makes the broadcast almost unlistenable.

He brings alomost nothing to the table and is a pathetic spokesperson for our sport. Why you like this guy I will never understand. You seem like a big soccer guy. Derek Rae yes, he's good. If you want to stiff American that reads the skinny's on the players and regurgitates em to us, then JP is your guy. But O'Brien? I don't follow you at all. Has he made a single good observation or clever point? Anything? He might have a nice voice or whatever, but his paltry banter is pitiful IMHO.

If you are not adding to the broadcast, you are taking away from it.

When you hear people saying Americans don't know soccer, it is things like these that cements that perception. Not that I care really, but I do see where that comes from.

6. Fossolari

Fossolari New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    GRR
    Let's shave the heads of everyone who says "the MLS" and solve 'Celo's hair issue. Then, give DO'B lots of experience doing soccer PBP (maybe at a different level, with some competent assistance) and tapes of JP to listen to, and see if he gets better. His voice is the perfect announcer voice- tuned in or out with one zap of a synapse.

7. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
  8. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    not the main point I know, but the World Series that year was on NBC and it was Vin Scully doing the PBP.

Jackson got ripped for what you describe during the 1982 playoffs with the Phillies and Astros. He MAY have been doing the NL playoffs in 86, Mets vs. Astros, but I'm not sure.

Maybe I'll ask Eddie Gaven if he remembers, next time I see him.....

9. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
  10. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    ok, I just spoke with Eddie . . .

actually I wasn't sure which series it was, and I shot off my keyboard before checking -- just did a quick search and found this DVD review of the '86 Mets success:
    we fans are never happy

11. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    What was DOB's fascination with Wayne Rooney? After mentioning his name like 5 times, he then started to say something like..."Rooney, who has had trouble with gambling and pressure....." and then the thought just tailed off. He tried to do this twice, and it was like he forgot what even his point was trying to be.

I am not in the camp that thinks he has improved. He may in time, but it will be a miracle for him to improve for the World Cup.

I am with Andy Mead - JP and Derek are the best, and I would throw in Adrian Healy who used to do Revs games and now does it for ESPN International. Those are the top 3.

Celo......well, I have yet to hear anyone stand up and say they like Balboa's commentary. Is there apologists out there?

12. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  13. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    gimme ray hudson and something naked

or ray hudson, and women's beach soccer championships

'the gals have had some lucky bounces today'

14. Blackmail

Blackmail New Member

Oct 10, 2005

AndyMead called Ray Hudson horrible. Since Mr. mead already runs around here like he owns the place, I think we better listen to him even though every other soccer fan I know love him doing commentary.

15. PSVFIREBEAZ11

PSVFIREBEAZ11 New Member

Mar 15, 2006
    NW INDIANA
    Does anyone know who does the Galaxy and/or NYRB games on the MLSNET site? I think both of those guys could do a better job than O'brien

16. PSVFIREBEAZ11

PSVFIREBEAZ11 New Member

Mar 15, 2006
    NW INDIANA
    also JP does a really good job. I remember watching the US-MEXICO game at 1 in the morning and thinking it was just a perfect scene. He's a good one too

17. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    RBNY's usual crew is JP Dellacamera and Shep Messing (who is rumored to be moving into RBNY mgmt)

I believe LAG's crew are from Fox Soccer Channel

18. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech

the best commentators are fans of the game, which is why i love ray hudson, and its prolly why wynalda is getting some good reviews (and bad ones), ray is just a great personality,

and he knows the game