Obligatory screw SportsCenter thread.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Delta Blues, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Once again, after likely the single greatest individual performance by a USA player on their OWN FRICKING NETWORK not a mention of Donovan or the USA beating Ecuador. ESPN can die in a grease fire, whether or not they show matches. Sixty seconds between the utter trash outside of the NCAA's and Bristol race was well deserved. Hey ESPN! KISS. MY. FAT. WHITE. ASS!

2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

They showed all three of Donovan's goals tonight.

3. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Not on any show other than the one right after the match. Not even a whisper on any other NBA/MLB/NCAA/NASCARCENTER version tonight. I want REAL coverage, not a token mention on one edition of Sportscenter.

4. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

The 10:30PM SportsCenter is not the show right after the match. It was there, a highlight reel with all three goals. It was the "sixty seconds between the utter trash outside of the NCAA's and Bristol race" you were looking for.

5. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Not here in Memphis and I watched every second. Every single second.

6. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

OK. Well, I saw it. And I only flipped to ESPN for a good ten minutes.

7. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    You missed it then. I saw it. Kenny Mayne with the call.

8. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Good deal, although I've watched two editions for every second and not a second of coverage. If you're seeing it great, but not one second here yet. I'm watching on DirecTV so I have no idea why I haven't seen what you have.

9. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to Espn.com. They have highlights there.

10. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc

Maybe they're not letting you see it just to spite you.

11. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like how Landon used some "fancy footwork" before striking the first goal, and I also liked how he went "top shelf" on the third. I have no idea what the guy was hooting about during the breakaway though.

12. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    12AM Sportscenter:

One MLS mention, Gomez' goal in top 10 of the day. Nothing else. It was the first show after all matches were complete.

Grade: Fail

13. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not seen it mentioned, but during Thursday night's LAG - FCD game one of the funny ESPN bits was during halftime when they went back to the studio. They ran clips of the weeks champions league games and the guy in the studio was obviously not a soccer fan. He had trouble pronouncing some names (which I would have expected), but he also had trouble pronouncing UEEEEEFA. I am sure things will improve as familiarity grows and I am happy that they are finally showing soccer highlights during soccer games, but the pronunciation was pretty amusing.

Two annoying things from that game were the Chad Johnson's "I am a soccer fan" promos and Dave O'Brien's comments on Saragosa's knee injury.

I don't need to have a mediocre NFL wide receiver tell me that it is ok to be a soccer fan. If you are going to do promos like that then get Steve Nash to do it. At least he is the NBA MVP.

Regarding the knee injury, DOB was relieved to see Saragosa walking afterwards. I guess Dave has never seen a soccer match where a player tears his ACL (I know Saragosa's injury was an MCL) and is able to walk just a few minutes later such as Chris Armas in 2002 in the pre world cup friendlies? He might have a smooth, soothing voice, but what else does he bring to the table?

14. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    wow @ this one... Chad Johnson is a top 2 receiver in the game... nothing at all is mediocre about him... I agree with your second part, but if you have read on Chad in the past, he has always expressed he loves the sport... and I read the interview, its more about his love for the game and where he has gone to watch it and such

this happens in all sports... i remember Jamal Anderson tearing his ACL on monday night football in 1999, and walking off the field...usually, walking off the field is a sign that a guy maybe ok... ur reaching with these two comments

ur just mad

15. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I looked up Chad Johnson's stats. Led the league in yardage last year. I stand corrected. But, is he a household name?

My point is that I do not need a star athlete from another sport to drive my interest in soccer when I am already watching the game. I did not read whatever article you are referring to. I was referring to the clips of Johnson played during the broadcast last Thursday. It seemed like they had left over Johnson footage from the US v. Ecuador game they wanted to use. Frankly, the first time I heard of Johnson was a few weeks ago when Jen Chang wondered what might have been if he stuck with soccer.

Also, regarding the knee injury, it seemed to me to be one of those non contact knee injuries that is often more serious than it looks. Based on his reaction I think Wynalda felt the same way.

I know that these are nitpicking complaints on an overall strong start for the MLS on ESPN Thursday nights.

I am not mad... my team won last night. Maybe Chad Johnson can play fullback :)

16. Mick7184

Mick7184 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Franklin, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also agree that Sportscenter should cease covering all sports other than soccer. The name should be changed to SoccerCenter, extended to 4 hour shows, that only show soccer highlights and interviews.

sarcasm

17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ok... so ur not an NFL fan... and do not watch a lot of ESPN... he's a household name... I will leave it at that...

and ur nitpicking, but its whatever