Obama too good for MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DoctorD, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who cares what team he supports, the good thing is that he is a soccer fan and that's always a good thing Fire or West Ham supporter or not!

2. number 22

number 22 New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    South Side, Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes. yes we do. BARACK 'N' ROLL!!!

3. number 22

number 22 New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    South Side, Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    get out!

4. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He only likes West Ham because of Johnathan Specter, I'll bet.

;)

5. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's easier to convert a soccer fan to MLS rather than someone who doesn't watch soccer at all!!!

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That reminds me.

Si se puede*=yes we can.

*Or whatever that phrase is in Mexican.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Given the historical nature of Obama's campaign, it's actually appropriate he's a West Ham fan as the Hammers were one of the first teams in England to have black players.

Clyde Best, the late Clive Charles and Ade Coker, all of whom went on to play in the NASL (and in Coker's case, the US national team) were among the first blacks in high-level English football when they played for West Ham in the early 70's.

Doesn't have much to do with Obama or MLS, but I find it mildly interesting even if Obama likely doesn't even know about West Ham's history with black players.

8. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    You got it right.

Literally, it means "Yes, one can." The SE functions as an impersonal subject. It is often confused with the true reflexive.

One way or the other, that sort of pollyanish sloganeering drives me up a wall, although I do like Obama.

9. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See if he said something about Specter being from his hometown then you would know he was legit. If he was a true West Ham fan you would think that in his conversations or watching the game that he would figure that out. Or you would figure that someone he is paying to work his campaign could of figured that out. Those small little added touches help.

But, still is the man I'm voting for.

10. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA

jade's black?

11. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    Why does Jade get beat up so much on these boards?

She was simply saying:

You're right, There are black fans in America.

*New Thought*

I am a West Ham fan too, I used to live there...

12. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this doesn't mean we're going to repeatedly hear about him being the first Hawaiian to run for president...

13. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because she's an annoying, gloryhunting tramp that posts unsourced lies as rumors on her website, and changes her team loyalties with the same frequency that she drops to her knees to fellate anything DC United.

14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aimer was tame compared to jade. Aimer only had two teams.

15. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Voting for Edwards, ********ing hate West Ham.

16. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    :D

Best debate answer ever:

17. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think he would of been lying if he said he supported fullham

18. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're contradicting yourself here.

19. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    You know what's funny, it's like suddenly the thing to do is tell everybody about your club overseas. Billy Beane announced his love for Tottenham. Hank Yankee Steinbrenner mentioned he wants back in the EPL through a buyout of some club in EPL. Andrew Appleby just bought out Derby County (he was told they were in contention for Champions League next year, not the Championship, whoops, read fine print Andy!).

Everybody's talking soccer, but to look cool, you gotta have an EPL team. Talk MLS too people, it's getting better! But it's like these bigdogs (Beane excepted) have to talk EPL or La Liga, or else it's just silly American soccer. It's not worthy of our time, but EPL, that's English football, we can discuss that.

Tricky. But Barack might come out to a Fire/DC game, that would redeem him I think.

MLS make big moves this year, remind everyone that you are on the way to the top!!!

20. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The fact that this is coming from the Sun of all things means it's bull. Come on, the Sun publishes such stupid crap it's not even funny!

For her to gloryhunt in England she has to support a team in England such as Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, or Liverpool and not West Spam; a team that was nearly relegated last year.

EDIT: Listening to a BBC podcast and heard Jade's name. I threw up a little.

21. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA

i was just cracking a joke, and unless you think calling someone black is in and off itself an insult, not sure why you assumed anything else.

22. NebraskaAddick

Aug 26, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess then he won't be throwing out the first pitch at the Nats home opener, since, you know....there's the Blue Jays.

23. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    No, I wasn't accusing you of insulting her, I'm just saying alot of people either take Jade's comments and quote them out of context to "crack jokes," or simply make personal attacks, When I said "beat-up" I was reffering to a couple pages back. Didn't mean you personally, sorry. I was just wondering why people do this but "Monday Morning 10Shirt" summed up why it happens...

24. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago

I cannot believe a guy with Chelsea listed as his club would actually say that...:eek:

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if ESPN takes over election coverage.

As to not mentioning Spector...you'll notice the article has NO direct quotes from Obama. Perhaps it's all 100% tabloid trash...or perhaps he knows about Spector, but since the reporter never talked to him....