Obama Receives Brazil's jersey from Lula ... and he's not happy about it.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Zitor, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Zitor

Zitor New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Chicago
  2. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the thread title was also in jest and didn't need explanation, but that's just me. Obama should be happy, it could fetch some nice dough on ebay.

4. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    i wonder what would Bush do if this was him

5. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Not much different...Bush called the team during the 2002 WC and had bets going with the Mexican President on the US-Mexico 2nd rd game (don't remember what exactly for).

I don't remember hearing anything for the 2006 WC, but it wouldn't surprise me if he had at least talked/joked about it with his Italian and Czech counterparts.

6. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Bush called the team before the Mexico game in 2002, and before the Czech Republic game in 2006. I guess that second call didn't go as well as the first.

7. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didnt bush turn down an offer from the mexican president to meet at a neutral site along the boarder somewhere to watch the game? if i remember correctly bush turned him down.

8. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    I don't know about that specifically, but I know for a fact that they had some sort of wager with each other over the game...Bush specifically mentioned it in his call to the team (IIRC) and I'm pretty sure there was an article or two about it (it was definitely one or the other, maybe both).

9. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I guess Obama didn't inform Lula of the secret agreement struck between Gulati and the White House. Under this agreement, the national team has been converted into a tool of American diplomacy. The White House is allowed to request that the team lose a match up to three times a year if it judges that such a loss will foster better international relations and improve national security. I'm a bit surprised that this agreement was not invoked for the Egypt match.

10. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Yep. I wouldn't be surprised to see the First Lady in those very same sandals.
    The Prez is obviously admiring the footwear. You think?

11. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes...admiring the "footwear"
    very off topic, but i cant resist
    caption that pic:

[​IMG]

DAAAYYYAAMMMMNNN, girl got boootay

12. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    [​IMG]Brazil's President Luiz Inacio Lula Da Silva, center, presents soccer shirts signed by the Brazilian national team to fellow G5 members from left, India's Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Mexico's President Felipe Calderon, South Africa's President Jacob Zuma, and China's State Councilor Dai Bingguo during a press conference of G5 countries on the sidelines of a G8 summit in L'Aquila, Italy on Wednesday, July 8, 2009. The leaders of the Group of Eight nations, united in their desire to work together to fight the worst economic crisis since the Depression, are discussing Wednesday how to coordinate their exit strategies once their economies are stable.

13. Churchdown Yank

Jan 14, 2006
    Gloucester UK
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best part about that picture is French President Sarkozy apparently approving of his taste...

14. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Anyone remember during the 2002 WC when Colin Powell gave a ribbing to a Mexican ambassador at the UN after we knocked them out of the tournament?

15. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes,he treated him like a rat and an idiot IIRC.

16. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ New Member

Jun 16, 2007
  17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Moving this to USA Men...you can have a little fun with this thread as long as you keep it apolitical.

18. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see our Prez getting into the soccer chats that most world leaders talk about when having to make time...

The ultimate Ice breaker is ¨so French eh... How about that Platini´¨ . ect ect... ejejejejje

19. KZ Man

KZ Man Member

Jun 12, 2006
    NoVa
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys missed the most important part, distracted as you were by the foowear.

"White House spokesman Robert Gibbs later said Obama ended his 30-minute session with Silva by patting the Brazilian's back and vowing, "we will not lose a two-point lead again."

20. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obama's not as obvious as these guys.

[​IMG]

21. IncredibleStan1

Feb 17, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Why is the First Lady rocking Brazil's colors?!?!?111!:eek::rolleyes:

23. louis09

louis09 Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Long Island
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have had a Mens Volleyball Jersey ready to give back as the Men and women won Gold at the 2008 Olympics vs Brazil. And the US men indoor team also beat the #1 team at the time Brazil in the 2008 Olympics.

[​IMG]

24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]