Obama Re-Election Campaign

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Chris M., Apr 4, 2011.

1. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Well, it is official as Obama files the paper work to begin his run for a second term. I'm posting the site here, but feel free not to visit. If you do click the link you will get a page asking for info but you can simply by pass that by clicking, "home."

http://www.barackobama.com/

I figure this merits its own thread as the republicans will get lots of face time and press as they work their way through the primary process. Obama will try to get out there in town hall meetings and in other ways, but the process will favor the republicans in terms of press.

What you see from today's announcement is that Obama will do the hard work behind the scenes to mobilize an organization and to raise money. The projections are that he will raise a billion dollars for the election.

My personal preference would be that he would shoot a bit lower than that by walking away from some of the big money donors but I know that that is pie in the sky. It can't be on him to change the system unilaterally by being put at a disadvantage, but I'd still like to see the statement.

Anyway, what we saw in 2008 was that no one does the ground game better. Obama, starting with no traditional national organization, mobilized a ground game using the internet and some highly motivated staff to wax the traditional democratic machine and then carry many states that were not projected to be Democratic. He will lose some of the grass rooteness of the 2008 campaign, but he has a strong, loyal base and will benefit from changing demographics in some traditionally republican states. Should be interesting.

This thread will likely be about many of those boring "fundamentals" for several months, but let the discussion begin.

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And here is the ad that goes along with the announcement:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIA5aszzA18&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - President Barack Obama's First Ad of 2012[/ame]

3. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Not bad. That is exponentially funnier than most of the stuff out there.

By the way, I think the people trying to use humor to make a real point will fail with the whole "golf" "brackets" thing. It just seems to be an "I told you so" response from those offended by the brush clearing jokes. And, by the way, I never really jumped onto the Bush shouldn't be riding a bike, playing golf or clearing brush bandwagon.

I'm fairly certain that every president spends massive amounts of time, energy and considerable worry on the job, even when they are on "vacation."

4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He might as well get back to what he does best.

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Fore! More years. Fore! More years. ;)

(Sorry I couldn't help myself).

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Also not bad and chuckle worthy. :D

I'm just saying some jokes can and should have a very short shelf life because people see the obvious answers for themselves. For example, I chuckled at the teleprompter jokes for about a week after they started. But after people saw him successfully spar with the entire republican house caucus unscripted and actually get the best of them, the whole "empty suit reading a teleprompter" just isn't that funny because its so obviously untrue.

In addition, his foes will want to be careful what they focus on because it will come back to bite them. Here, I think you will find that Speaker Boehner plays WAYYYYY more golf than anyone in the government. It's kind of like how guys like Gingrich hammered Clinton for extramarital affairs. Doesn't seem like such a good idea anymore.

7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Perhaps Boehner and Obama should play golf together? Golf is a game that allows a lot personal interaction so the two could brain storm while on the course and come up bipartisan solutions to some of the nation’s toughest… like how to quit smoking. ;)

8. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Frankly, I think that is an excellent idea. I wouldn't expect any breakthroughs, but there is a real value to personal contact, and I agree that the golf course is a great place for that. With Nos. 1 and 3 on the depth chart together for four hours, would we have to hide Biden in the "bunker?" :D

9. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'd be like "Caddyshack" without Rodney Dangerfield....bite your tongue.

10. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    .....otherwise known as Caddyshack 2. :D

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Interestingly enough, the campaign re-election launch video doesn't actually contain Obama...or any politician.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-VZLvVF1FQ"]YouTube - Barack Obama 2012 Campaign Launch Video - "It Begins With Us"[/ame]

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ....a sin against nature, that was.

13. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh...I'm in Texas, I'm thinking I'll go with the Green Party candidate since it won't matter. I might do a Kucinich protest vote in the primaries. That said, Obama would be 1 million times better than any of the potential Republican nominees, which is why I think he'll win.

14. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clinton for VP!

15. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I've heard a few rumblings about this but only from other shmoes like me who really don't know anything, so I just assume it is pure speculation. Do you know if there is actually any desire on her part or if there have been overtures to this? I'm just curious. I don't think Biden would be thrilled, but then again, he always wanted to be Secretary of State as well. :D

16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    What, Huckabee, Romney, and Bachman aren't inspiring?

17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I have a friend who's Father was a Super Delegate, who got the early word about Joe Biden being VP...I'll ask about this. They were supporters of the Hillster so they may have heard.

18. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Frankly, I think she is doing an excellent job as secretary of state. I never expected her to stick around for eight years, but part of me wants her to stay put for now and maybe leave in '14 to run for president if that is what she wants to do.

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Perhaps he has adopted the 2010 Democratic incumbent survival strategy and decided it is best if he distances himself from Obama?

20. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    When I started this thread, my intent was for you to get all of your bad jokes out on page 1. ;)

21. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Sorry, how about I limit myself to one lame joke per page? BTW, are you still in KC?

22. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I support the constitutionally protected right to unlimited lame jokes and exercise that right on a regular basis.

No. Just got back and have to head downtown now for late-night work. I'll probably update the BBQ thread in the morning.

23. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I know you're being sarcastic, but this is one of the best ideas I've heard in a while.

24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I wasn't being sarcastic (other than the smoking comment).

Look it will never happen because in the end golf is a dick measuring contest, which means Obama tees off at the ladies tees.

(Sorry Chris, I did it again. I promise I'll be good in the future).

25. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I refuse to believe that that movie was ever made.