Obama, Iran and Richard Nixon

Discussion in 'International News' started by Iranian Monitor, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    An American in Tehran
    Rick Steves: 'Iran, the most fascinating land' he’s ever visited'
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/01/22/iran.politics.people/
    [ame="http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=TmaoyR2sxSA"]YouTube - Rick Steves' Iran: Yesterday and Today (Part 1 of 6)[/ame]

[ame="http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=0_1hC_FwYro"]YouTube - Rick Steves' Iran: Yesterday and Today (Part 2 of 6)[/ame]

[ame="http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=cTGJvj4Ok5s"]YouTube - Rick Steves' Iran: Yesterday and Today (Part 3 of 6)[/ame]

[ame="http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=05O-x2xfFzg"]YouTube - Rick Steves' Iran: Yesterday and Today (Part 4 of 6)[/ame]

[ame="http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4ev1ysrjOmI"]YouTube - Rick Steves' Iran: Yesterday and Today (Part 5 of 6)[/ame]

[ame="http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=1vz8owyXRww"]YouTube - Rick Steves' Iran: Yesterday and Today (Part 6 of 6)[/ame]

2. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @ Mani

What have these clips to do with this thread? Or do you have a special message to send? :)

But thanx for posting them. I knew that Iranian girls are pretty cute...;)

[​IMG]

I hope that smart girl talking in the second clip won't have to fear consequences from the Mullahs for what she said. I've not only talked to many Iranian football fans during the WC 2006 but also seen enough interesting documentary reports from Iran on diverse German tv channels which tells one how open-minded many Iranian people are and how unhappy they are with what happened in their country during the last 3 years.

3. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Btw: I've read on an interesting Iran site ( http://iran-now.net ) that the country not only has to import 40 % of its gas and that every private car owner had to cope with 3 litres per day in 2008 (that's incredible when knowing that Iran is the 2nd biggest oil exporter of the world), but also that none of its citizens has got a health & accident insurance coverage (I thought that at least a certain percentage of the population had one). :eek: But well, apparently there's enough money to develope nuclear weapons and sponsor terrorism...

Maybe the Iranian regime should better invest that money for the population's benefit.

4. Mexcellence

Mexcellence Member+

Oct 12, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Of course, but all this is supernatural, they will go to war with Israel. The regime could care less about their populations' well being sadly. They rather persecute non-Muslims and attempt to wipe countries off the map.

5. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    LOL @ Borussia and his pathetic attempts at flaming.

All Iranians have the right to free health insurance. Iran has a better health system than the United States. The World Health Organization in the last report on health systems ranks Iran's performance on health level 58th among the world's nations, while the United States is ranked 72nd.

As for gasoline (benzene), Iran used to fully subsidize benzene ( until 2006), selling unlimited gas at 2 cents a liter, which effectively made gas cheaper than water, and as a result, a lot people developed a taste for wasting gasoline (benzene), while Arab, Kurdish and Balochi smugglers were smuggling Iran's cheap subsidized gasoline to neighboring countries, selling it at market value. This forced Iran to import more and more gasoline (benzene). This also became a national security matter for Iran during the nuclear dispute in recent years, as the United States had threatened to block Iran's imports of gasoline (benzene). So in order to neutralize the US threat, Iran adopted a policy of rationing the benzene at the subsidized price. The rationing program, however, does not extend to non-subsidized free-market priced benzene. You can buy 3000 liters a day, if you're willing to pay free-market prices like consumers do everywhere else in the world.

6. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    The fact that they have to import a lot of their gas and energy suggests that their desire for nuclear energy is legitimate, as a way of taking care of their people's future energy needs in a way that doesn't involve invading an oil-rich nation.

I take it you will be congratulating the government there for their foresight in investing their money for the population's benefit? No?

7. Mexcellence

Mexcellence Member+

Oct 12, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Or maybe they want it to appear that way? I mean can a man as crazy as Iran's president be trusted to have nuclear capabilities?

Pakistan an India have them and no one makes such a big fuss (not that a nation should have them), because we know they are to deter each other from attack, not from a president who openly states he wants to destroy a nation.

8. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    And yet, Iran ranks 109th in lie expenctancy, 75 spots lower than the US, and we are a country of fat f##ks. Your doctors are doing a heck of a job.

Though you're below Nicaragua, the hemisphere's second poorest country, you are a couple of spots above Guatamala. Congrats!!!

9. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    :rolleyes:

First of all, it's life expectancy.

Iran is the world's most mountainous country, with dangerous mountainous roads, and naturally the highest number of road accidents in the world. Road accidents account for majority of deaths in Iran. That's why the life expectancy is relatively low in Iran, it has nothing to do with the health system. Otherwise, the average age of natural death in Iran is on par with Western countries.

10. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Borussia, I think you should do some research on mind control. It would help if you told all your internet pals as well.

11. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    And Iran's infant mortality rate being higher than kyrgyzstan and peru, I suppose that's not the fault of the Iranian health care system either.

But hey, at least some of you have the opportunity to come here and learn how to spell.

12. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Nicaragua, where life expectacy is 71, rates lightly above Iran which also has a life expectacy of 71 years of age. And Iran and Nicaragua rank well above Russia, whose life expectacy is 66. Yet, that doesn't mean Nicaragua has a better health care system than either Russia or Iran!

As for infant mortality rates for Iran, those rates are high. Almost as high as the rates in Turkey, which Iran beats in the rankings with both countries having 37 deaths per 1,000. Both still doing worse for some reason in this index than some poorer countries such as Egypt.

With regard to Iran's healthcare system, I really believe it is very good. I prefer it to the one in the United States. And nothing about the stats you have thrown around changes my mind that regard, even if those stats make me curious to learn why Iran rates below a poor country like Nicaragua -- a country that receives financial and technical assistance from Iran -- in life expectancy and infant mortality?

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I did a quick search and found out that the leading causes of death in Iran are 1) road accidents 2) heart disease 3) suicide 4) drug abuse and addiction.

I am not sure if these stats say anything good about Iran, but they do indicate that most deaths in Iran have little to do with the state of its health care system.

14. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And I think you should know why I don't talk with such ridiculous persons like you...

15. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I didn't say that it's not good (since I can't rate it). I said that there's obviously no health- and accident insurance coverage for the population (according to an article I've read on that German Iran site - which seems to be pretty objective and is very informative). Maybe you can confirm if it's true or not.

Unfortunately, the US system isn't really a model for Western standards ... so Obama has a lot to do. :)

I don't check that list. I.e. Germany has one of the best health- care and insurance systems after the Scandinavian countries ... and is ranked below states which I don't think to be better.

Are you really serious? Damn, that must be a shame for the Mullahs' watchdogs. :)

16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran does not offer free, universal, health care coverage, but it offers health care coverage at hugely subsidized prices for most of its population. There is no free accident insurance coverage, but I am not sure if that is common elsewhere?

As for the main point you were trying to make, you are quite wrong. Iran is criticised by economists around the world, including those with the IMF and the World Bank, for the huge and wasteful subsidies and other welfare programs it offers. Programs that in total cost Iran typically more than what Iran earns from its oil exports. Most economists, even those affiliated with the US, believe that Iran needs to reduce and cut these programs to impove its economy, not to increase them.

However, below all the statistics on Iran, including life expectancy and infant mortality, in all of which Iran has experienced dramatic improvements since the revolution, there is a clear gap that points to income inequality and regional discrepancies in Iran. A gap that dates back to the revolution and which Iran has tried hard to reduce. The plight of rural Iranians, which constitute 30% of the population, is quickly improving. Certain ethnic minorities who were among the most impoverished in Iran, such as Baluchis and Arabs, are doing better. But socio-economic and demographic differences still persist; as it relates to healthcare issues, not so much between rich and poor in urban areas such as Tehran, but still between someone living in Tehran (or some other major urban center) as opposed to someone living in some remote rural village, especially in the south of Iran.

The US system is a disgrace. I honestly believe Iran has lessons to offer to the US and indeed many have suggested Iran promoting "medical tourism" to attract visitors to the country from the United States. Tourists who would save enough money from even routine operations, such as a root canal, to pay for part of the cost of their trip!

17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yes. Unfortunately, a big part of the problem is that Iran neighbors Afghanistan, which earns most of its income through exporting drugs to other countries. Some of it makes its way to Europe and N.America, but much of it is consumed in Iran. Indeed, this is a problem that some have indicated gives Iran and the US a common issue to tackle with regard to Afghanistan as part of the overall strategy to jump start talks between the two countries.

For instance, not that I agree with Joe Klein, but his idea on how to start talks with Iran includes:

http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2009/01/28/how-to-begin-with-iran/

18. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Can you explain that a little bit closer?

Iran should better cut the useless & expensive armor programs! A health- and accident insurance for every Iranian citizen would be definitely the better choice in my eyes...

Iran could be a wealthy country if the clerics around Khamenei weren't that stubborn & escapist.

19. valanjak

valanjak BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    Some people just like to read headline and not the details and that’s the case with you . Did you ever stop to think why Iran decided to limit how much Petrol its citizens get? You need to stop drawing conclusions without thinking things through because it’s really hurting your credibility on this forum. Let me explain to you the reason since you don’t seem to understand it. Tehran has becomes a giant parking lot . The traffic is horrendous to say the least. And the reason behind that is because cars are easily affordable and gas is cheaper than a bottle of water. The traffic has also caused unhealthy levels of pollution. Every day a cloud of smog covers Tehran. And other major cities have the same problem but at a smaller magnitude. The government has tried to improve the transportation system by building numerous highways , tunnels , and one of the worlds best subway systems. Every time I go back to Tehran or other cities there are many new highway/roads built that you cant recognize the city from 2 years before. But the traffic hasn’t improved and it has become obvious that the root cause of the problem is the habit of Iranians. Some families have 2 or more cars and prefer to drive everywhere and refuse to use alternative transportation options . The government had to make an unpopular move and limit the amount petrol each driver got in order to curb down the traffic/pollution. But this was really unpopular since Iranians believe its natural right to get cheap petrol as much as they want and when they want . And the government had a hard time defending their decisions since one of Imam Khomaninis promises of revolution was to provide free oil to all Iranians .
    Now about the healthcare system in Iran. Its affordable and on par with most Western nations . I know many Iranians in the US who don’t have health insurance and fly back to Iran just to get the kind of operations they need since its 70-90% cheaper in Iran than it is in the US . It’s still more affordable for them to buy a round trip ticket and use Iran’s healthcare system. You need to understand that a lot of things in Iran are subsidized by the government. For example , bread which is extremely important part of Iranian diet is almost free. Domestic flights are less than 20 bucks. Health care is also subsidized by the government and so is petrol.

20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran subsidizes health care costs through various public hospitals and clinics, at rates which are incredibly low. And Iran does offer a system of public health insurance at hugely subsidized rates as well. Iran also has mandated employer health coverage for employees.

The problem with Iran's health care system is the discrepancy that exist between different regions and locations, not the lack of government subsidies. Where I live, within walking distance, there must be more than a thousand doctors of various specialities in private practice, dozens of clinics, and several major hospitals. Yet, with even a glut and oversupply of doctors in many fields, there are areas in Iran which do not have the required number of physicians willing to live and work there. Most people who have gone to medical school in Iran want to live and work in a big city; few want to work in rural areas, and none that I know of would like to work in places like Baluchistan etc.

Iran has worked hard to tackle these problems, but some of them are not easy to solve.
    You have a vested interest in what you propose.

In my opinion, cutting Iran's subsidies and welfare programs, and reforming them to better serve the needy instead, is required. Absolutely. Otherwise, because Iran mostly relies on its own industries and not foreign imports for its defense needs, its military budget as a ratio to GDP is actually quite low in comparison to other countries in the region.

21. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, it's your government's decision. If it works, it's fine.

Thanx for the info concerning the health care insurance.

@ valanjak

Sorry that I forgot about the chaotic traffic sitution in the large cities of Iran. Your argument sounds plausible ... but what about those people who live outside the cities and rely on a car? How far can they travel with just 3 litres per day (i.e. to the city and back home)? Is there at least a good train or bus connection between the urban & rural areas?

22. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Before I leave, I'm posting a remarkable statement from an Iranian writer (who was a supporter of the Islamic Revolution, but left Iran later on and lives in Germany now):

http://www.fr-online.de/in_und_ausland/politik/aktuell/?em_cnt=1668127&em_cnt_page=1

"Those who came to power with slogans against the godless decadence, are now responsible that religion loses more and more supporters. I dare to claim that Islam has never been as frowned upon in Iran as it is nowadays."

This point of view matches exactly my opinion that the Islamic Revolution led to the same dictatorship as that of the Shah (if not even worse).

The fact that even the grand daughter of Ayatollah Khomeini turned into a critic, should give the Mullahs to think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zahra_Eshraghi

If Ayatollah Khamenei is smart, he'll nominate Mr. Khatami again and led him finish the careful reforms this time.

Have a nice day.

23. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why, like Hamas' non-negotiable position of destroying Israel, there is no point in trying to broker rapproachment with Iran.

24. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

http://blogs.iht.com/tribtalk/opinion/passages/?p=155