Obama & Goldman Sachs

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Steamer, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Steamer

Steamer New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...ldman-Obamas-Enron-No-its-worse-91613449.html

J.P. Freire reports. Steamer relays. You decide.

"But the mere $151,722.42 (inflation adjusted) in contributions from Enron-affiliated executives, employees, and PACs to Bush hardly add up to Obama's $1,007,370.85 (inflation adjusted) from Goldman-affiliated executives and employees. That's also not taking into account how much Goldman contributed to Obama cabinet member Hillary Clinton ($415,595.63 inflation adjusted), which was itself almost three times as much as Bush received as well."

2. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    And yet, Obama's SEC is investigating.

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So... they spent money to try to defeat Obama?

And you of all people have a problem with that?

And by the way... was President Bush punished IN ANY WAY for his connections to ENRON?

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Obama's SEC?

Oh my. :eek:

5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    With friends like you :rolleyes:

6. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I'm sorry, who appointed the Chair? Eeeeeek.

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    The SEC was created by congress to be independent. It has to be. Sure, presidents get to make appointments, but it would be frightening to suggest that a president controls the SEC. Hell, we were all rightly bent out of shape because Alberto treated the justice department as the president's own personal little law firm.

8. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Well, its been reported and relayed but it is impossible to decide anything. When are you people on the right going to stop comparing everything to Bush. ;):D

Seriously though, this is a legitimate point to raise if one were to look at the numbers dispassionately. That is not what the author did. There are far more questions than answers here. I think it is bogus to attribute contributions to a company because individual employees donate to a candidate UNLESS you provide some evidence that these "voluntary" contributions are actually pretty mandatory.

Second, my impression of rich people in the financial services industry is that they hedge their bets when it comes to donations. How much did McCain-Palin get from Goldman-Sachs executives and employees?

I actually think it is valid and appropriate to take a look at this stuff. But if you are going to do it, then you have to go all in and get information that you can actually use. This author got enough information to make a point and nothing more.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Thank you. I'd send you some rep but Huss says I can't. I hate that facist bastard.

10. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Yes - Christopher Cox was a measured independent voice, just like Congress wrote it up. "Obama's SEC" might be a bit over-the-top, but let's be real, this investigation doesn't happen under "W".

11. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GS gives quite a bit more to Democrats in general. Only $230,000 to McCain in 08. Of course I'm not taking Steamer's side, because only desperate brainless morans like him try to make logical leaps like this thread.

12. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Upon further reflection, I have overstated it. You were right to point it out, but I still agree with monopoly.

13. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    The tenor of the Commission depends on its chairman, yes. But the notion that it is "Obama's SEC" is grossly overstated.

14. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, even worse, Arnold Schwarzenegger?

15. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. Apparently the two Republicans on the SEC board (or whatever governing body it has that rules on whether to pursue an investigation) voted against it.

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Damn! If Goldman Sachs hears this, they will want their money back. :D

17. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Goldman placing 2 political bets, one long and one short, at the same time?

Whoever would have thought up a crazy idea like that?

18. Steamer

Steamer New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Does it make you feel superior to call people brainless morans (whatever that is)?

I just passed on a report & copied an interesting point. I don't think I posted an opinion.

19. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Here's an interesting point" Bristol palin is a christian teenage single mom. Does that mean that Christianity leads to teenage pregnancy, Sarah Palin raised a whore, or something else? You decide!

20. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forget...what State did Hillary represent before the SOS job?

someplace with large financial institutions?

21. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

All politics is local?

Wall Street knows NYC/NYS lean heavily democratic. It would be stupid of them not to donate more to local democrats than republicans, unless there was a republican viable enough to take the city (not applicable in 2008) or state (ditto) So if you total contributions to D/R, I suspect New York skews the #s bigtime

And Goldman are savvy and typically wind up betting on a winner - and so its no surprise they read the tea leaves and bet on Obama, not McCain/Palin

22. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Are you claiming that Obama is doing Goldman favors?

23. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    more likely that Steamer was on one of his low information blogs and saw this and thought he was gonna finally catch the roadrunner

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    He forgot about the anvil trap.

25. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    You might also be surprised the members of the firm do get involved in politics for ideological reasons and lean towards moderate Democrats.