News: Obama / Chicago Olympic Bid Rejected

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Topper, Oct 2, 2009.

1. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    I wanted Chicago to win the bid. Didn't care one way or another if Obama had anything to do with it. However, I find it humorous that he goes over there, probably with the mentality of, "my shit doesn't stink, I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread, I'll win them over no problem," and, well, he loses.

2. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two words, many visions:

Brasilian Women!

3. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I see you've installed the iReadmindsofpeopleihavenevermet app on your iPhone. Is it worth the $3?

4. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm tempted not to be drawn into the profoundly idiotic things you say, but what the hell:

Conservatives want the economy to improve. That's why they want liberals to get the hell out of the economy's way and let it heal without the "benefit" of central planners like Obama and the "stimulus" package that is eerily similar to the lard-laden packages that kept the Japanese economy in its recent "lost-decade" slump.

Conservatives want to win in Afghanistan. Liberals, by and large, want to cut and run.

And finally, you're an idiot. No further support needed.

5. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    That's odd. I remember conservatives making up lies about 9/11, putting their trust in an Iranian spy and cheerleading the shifting of resources and focus away to Iraq. That doesn't exactly scream "Let's go win in Afghanistan!".

6. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    I like where your heads at.

The word "probably," look it up.

Which would explain why he asked the Pentagon to delay its troop request for the "war of necessity."

7. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    WWII, which theater was won first? Which was more pressing?

Its called priorities

8. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    And you also installed the iQualifierincaseIsaysomethingstupid app too! Awesome!
    Not the greatest parallel, unless you're suggesting Roosevelt lied about the Japanese bombing Pearl Harbor.

9. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Iran agreed to ship their uranium elsewhere for processing and to open up the "secret" plant for international inspection.

I can understand how you missed the story, though, being that it was only a major news item published in just about every piece of media in the country.

10. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

11. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will all the backlash against the Chicago Olympic bid be repeated in a few months when the subject of our WC 2018/2022 bids comes up? Will we see a repeat of Jack Kemp and the whole "communist sport" thing?

I would imagine that hosting the World Cup will be a bit less risky financially, given that all the stadiums that would be involved have probably already been built. Plus the financial burden would be spread out across the country rather than focused on only one city. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very costly thing, but I can see how it might be less risky than the Olympics (with no new facilities to build, etc). Plus the economic upside is potentially much larger, as it will bring money to cities all over the country.

Still, it seems like the same naysayers will be out in force...

12. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Strategic standpoint, which countries do we have allies in that border Afghanistan? What about Iraq?

Which nation is an emerging threat that is straddled by both?

A little common sense goes a long way.

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If Conservatives wanted the economy to improve they wouldn't have ran it into the ground in, well, quite a few ways.

Lies about WMD = Not giving a rat's ass about Afghanistan

And appropriately, none provided.

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Nothing made Iran a threat quite as much as the Iraq invasion did. Kinda destabilzed the region a bit.

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As long as you don't make the same mistake that Ronaldo made...

16. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007

17. Topper

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Steamer

Steamer New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    The Olympic Committe is RACIST!

Not a good day for Obama.....
    1) No olympics
    2) Higher unemployment numbers

Not happy about his failures, just stating.

19. Topper

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the neg rep, Diaperman. Sorry you had to take time away from sniffing superdave's jock to run to his defense.

You're an idiot.

Conservatives don't celebrate his failures unless it happens to be good for the country.

I would have liked for the Olympics to be in Chicago. America could use the money.

But hoping his idiotic schemes for the economy, Obamacare, cap-and-tax, tax hikes, etc., is not anti-American, it's merely common sense.

Topper

:D :D :D

20. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Having been to the Maracana and the Bombonera, I'm not really surprised. SA just doesn't have the facilities at the moment to host something like that, and I don't think they would have had the money previously to pay for it.

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Actually, the thing most similar to the packages that kept Japan in that slump was TARP - which was Bush's creation.
    Its "getting out of the way" of the economy that caused much of this in the first place.

22. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Except that recent most Olympic games lose money.

23. Topper

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, but if there's a net loss of tax dollars, then just call it "stimulus". ;)

What is really, really, really a shame is that because of this failure, the rest of the country won't get to see Chicago's main selling point, its "diversity":

Quoting Rahm Emmanuel: "Nothing against them, but Chicago is what none of the other cities have and this is again what I think the president's remarks will be, not saying anything negative against them, but you're bringing all the world together... The world will feel comfortable given the diversity of Chicago all the different ethnic communities are there...''

Seriously, what an idiot. Because, really, if I go to the other side of the world, I want to be there to experience other Americans, so I can "feel comfortable" in their country.

Topper

:D :D

24. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    Had me fooled, you seem to be enjoying it.

25. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I'm sure some nutcases will notice that North Korea qualified for '10 and make this argument regarding the US hosting.