Oakland & San Francisco-Bay Area (non-Earthquakes) pro soccer.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJTillIDie, Nov 15, 2013.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That has got to be the worst field I’ve ever seen. WTF happened? I don’t recall it being that bad last season in NISA.

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The regular field there is Laney College's football field, with stripes and end zones, and it's far too narrow inside a track. So they obtained this artificial pitch to lay over it and extend over the track to provide a suitable size. It's a patchwork, and I don't know if there's a way to more carefully install it to make it less of a problem. They have had the same thing since they started in 2019, though last year they only had one or two games before the shutdown.

The pitch originated with Rayo OKC, which lasted one year in the NASL in 2016. There was a bizarre saga that year where one of the part-owners was upset about a financial dispute and absconded with it and hid it from the club for a couple weeks. After Rayo folded, it was sold to the NY Cosmos who used it in a minor league baseball stadium, and then the Roots bought it for 2019.

bobby_guzman and markmcf8 repped this.
  3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that thing is a piece of shit and will never be acceptable. Frankly the idea of putting a temp pitch on top of Laney’s track doesn’t sound particularly viable even if hey didn’t buy a patchwork mess of a field third hand from two failed clubs. They’re going to need to rent a proper venue, because Laney ain’t it.

4. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I suspect rental prices in Oakland will suddenly skyrocket.

I feel bad for Oakland - their home opener really couldn't have gone any worse. I really hope they have a viable solution lined up.

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt they do. And repairing the damage of telling a sell out crowd they ********ed up by buying the worst pitch on God’s green Earth is going to be a tall order.

6. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I couldn't find any information on Roots ownership. Are they secretly backed by Bay Area billionaires or is this truly a small time org? If it's billionaires they can and should just throw money at this problem. Rent out Pay Pal Park or Levi's while at the same time announce their intentions to build their own sss. Problem solved (the very expensive way).

Certainly, Fisher, for the love of the sport and local community, will give a steep discount to the Roots to use PPP (or maybe they can set up a pitch in the coliseum?).

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You clearly are new to teams that are owned by John Fisher.

8. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Nah, i was just taking a jab at him.

9. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I am reading in this thread, are you guys saying that the Roots bought a used artificial field from a defunct club and laid it on top of what I assume is another artificial field + track? :eek: I’m a little confused about what is going on with that field and why no player pointed it out sooner.

I had read a couple of months ago that one Roots founder was suing the other owners… Don’t know what happened with that…

bobby_guzman repped this.
  10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably because nio player on an opposing team until Sacramento was in a place to really complain about it. This was the roots first game at home in D2. And only the 3rd or 4th time as I understand it that they used this particular field.

The team is claiming they'd already ordered a replacement but I'd take that with a grain of salt since they didn't mention it until AFTER they'd been thoroughly embarrassed by their checkboard field.

bobby_guzman and mjlee22 repped this.
  11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    markmcf8 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  12. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    xbhaskarx repped this.
  13. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    His word is as reliable as weather prediction in the Midwest...

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Jesse was Co-Chairman on the committee that put this thing together. He drove it’s formation. Almeyda complained constantly about Reno being too far away, not playing his guys (he attended one game in Reno and was upset that Galindo-Cruz was not starting at centerback that night).

markmcf8 repped this.
  15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mjlee22, bsman and athletics68 repped this.
  20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh for once I'll defend the Quakes, the Roots seem far more incompetent. Maybe that's their purpose, to make the Quakes look good by comparison? Between them and the Sac Republic, the Quakes actually seem to have at least some of their shit together, however tenuously.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    markmcf8 repped this.
  22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes aren't the only team going through a rough patch lately. The temporarily homeless Oakland Roots of the USL haven't scored in 3 games. Most recently they fell to the San Diego Loyal 1-0 last night in San Diego. This means the Roots finish June on a 3 game losing streak and with no wins in the month (they drew with Sacramento on June 2 and their last win was May 23).

The Roots now sit in dead last in the Western Conference Pacific. Only bright spot is that they have between 2 and 5 games in hand over all the teams above them. Bad news, they currently have the second least points in the USL Championship.

https://blog.sfgate.com/soccer/2021/06/30/3-things-we-learned-oakland-roots-loss-to-san-diego-loyal/

mjlee22 repped this.
  23. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pandemic must have been extremely tough on all lower division teams. Add on top of that the ownership dispute and lawsuit, it's a recipe for disaster.

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention the checkerboard turf debacle, having to play at their training center, and just no offense for the most part of their last few games.

25. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Monterey Bay FC going for the LOBINA vibe.

IMG_0970.JPG

Boysinblue, bsman, xbhaskarx and 2 others repped this.