NYT with more MLS salary info

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by BuffloSoldier, Jul 11, 2005.

1. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    OPPORTUNITY KNOCKING: DEVELOPMENTAL PLAYERS NOT GETTING RICH, BUT LIVING A DREAM (San Jose Mercury 7/13/05)
    The article makes no mention of Quakes-subsidized housing.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I don't mind some loyalty but this is the case where it may be hurting the league.

Look, the data suggests that MLS teams are frugal. But, when you voluntarily submit to a ~ $2M cap, you have to abide by an internal pay structure. Compare this with any business. You come to your boss and say, "The company down the street is offering me a 50% raise." Your boss's options are to show you the door or to make a counteroffer. If he does make a counteroffer, it'll be within his company's pay scale, not within the other firm's.

And this exists in soccer as well. MLS, at some point, be it with Mathis, Wolff, Donovan or Armas, has to say to the guy's agent, "Congrats on getting your client an excellent deal. At a date when your demands are within our framework, do not hesitate to give us a call."

The best way is to get something in return. The worst is to overpay.

3. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    I think in another thread a quakes fan stated that subsidized housing doesn't exist in San Jose.

He also said a these dev players get paid only druing the season at the end of which they are out of contract and play through camp without a contract. The ones the team wants to keep are re-signed at the end of camp.