NYRB Academy/College/HomeGrown Thread [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Napoli 10, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Borges, with the U20s, and Gloster, with the U17s, are both left backs.

I haven't really seen much of either.
    Tough to get a read on Borges - he was away with the U20s so his Soph college year is kind of incomplete.
    Based on youth forum BS chatter, there aren't many good LBs there.

Gloster is more one where people see potential. Good with the ball and going forward, just OK defensively.

We don't get/have many guys (starters!) on the U20 team. I'd be cool with either of them signed to the 2 team next month.

2. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woodrow repped this.
  3. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think #36 on the upperclassman list, Cameron Harr, is also a NYRB guy. He scored 8 goals in 2015 as a freshman and 17 last year as a sophomore. He's transferring to UVA next year.

Zamphyr repped this.
  7. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Zamphyr repped this.
  8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYRB acquired the Philadelphia Union's natural Second Round pick in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft. New York acquired the pick in return for the Right of First Refusal for Red Bulls Academy product Adam Najem.
    Najem signed with the Union on Wednesday.

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zamphyr repped this.
  13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woodrow repped this.
  14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...-york-city-fc-advance-premier-division-finals

RED BULLS FALL IN PK SHOOTOUT
    The New York Red Bulls came into their semifinal match against Flamengo in the Champions Division as underdogs. Their inclusion in the semifinals was miraculous and Flamengo had proven to be one of the strongest teams in the tournament.

The Brazilians came out strong and scored 14 minutes in off a corner kick that was finished off by center back Marquinhos. Flamengo continued to dominate proceedings but the Red Bulls find their own goal off of a clearance in the 27th minute. New York Red Bulls II player Ben Mines ran onto it in his own half with no defenders in front him, outran the Flamengo defense, rounded the goalkeeper and finished.

The second half was much better for the Red Bulls, as they had the better chances even without possessing much of the ball. Both Nick Schimbeno and substitute striker Scotty Taylor had clear chances that they were unable to finish. After the 35-minute half and 10 minutes of extratime, the game went to a penalty-kick shootout.

Unfortunately for the Red Bulls they were unable to pull off the upset, losing in PKs 3-2. Flamengo 'keeper made three saves, stopping John Murphy, Taylor and Mines. The win ensured Flamengo's place in the Champions Division final against River Plate on Saturday.

Woodrow repped this.
  15. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    That's a shame. I had to wonder based on the other semifinalists.

16. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    kokoplus10 repped this.
  17. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Mines is legit too. I've heard whispers for a few years now. Never want to get too excited about kids that young, but it looks like he could be the next Miazga/Adams.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. U-17 boys national team
    GOALKEEPERS (2): Carlos Joaquim Dos Santos (Benfica; Philadelphia, Pa.), Justin Garces (Kendall SC; Miami, Fla.).
    DEFENDERS (5): Christopher Gloster (New York Red Bulls; Montclair, N.J.), Jaylin Lindsey (Sporting Kansas City; Charlotte, N.C.), James Sands (New York City FC; Rye, N.Y.), Arturo Vasquez (FC Golden State; Mira Loma, Calif.), Akil Watts (IMG Academy; Fort Wayne, Ind.).
    MIDFIELDERS (7): George Acosta (Weston FC; Hollywood, Fla.), Taylor Booth (Real Salt Lake AZ; Eden, Utah), Christopher Durkin (D.C. United; Glen Allen, Va.), Blaine Ferri (Solar Chelsea SC; Southlake, Texas), Christopher Goslin (Atlanta United FC; Locust Grove, Ga.), Indiana Vassilev (IMG Academy; Savannah, Ga.), Adrian Villegas (Portland Timbers; Hood River, Ore.).
    FORWARDS (6): Ayomide Akinola (Toronto FC; Brampton, Ont.), Andrew Carleton (Atlanta United FC; Powder Springs, Ga.), Zyen Jones (Atlanta United FC; Clarkston, Ga.), Bryan Reynolds, Jr. (FC Dallas; Little Elm, Texas), Joshua Sargent (Scott Gallagher Missouri; O'Fallen, Mo.) Timothy Weah (Paris Saint-Germain; Rosedale, N.Y.

https://www.socceramerica.com/artic...-u-17-world-cup-qualifying.html?edition=17094

19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/04/18/baer-breaking-down-top-five-players-ga-cup

Ben Mines, New York Red Bulls
    Mines has already played for the New York Red Bulls II in USL, making four appearances for the club during the 2016 season. It shouldn’t be long before he signs a professional contract. The speedy forward won the Golden Boot in the Champions Division, leading the Red Bulls to a third-place finish in the tournament’s top division. He was one of the fastest players at the tournament, if not the fastest, and that speed caused constant problems for opposing backlines.

He was also able to show his skill, scoring a free kick against Club Tijuana. He scored the equalizer against Flamengo in the semifinals after running down a clearance and rounding the 'keeper. He also did the same against Independiente del Valle in the third-place match off of a set piece.

20. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    He's a gamer, no fear.

21. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I must add that the glut of talented young players is really beginning to push the older ones. Adams is starting right now ahead of several players including Metzger, who earned a first team contract, but ends up back playing with the 2nd team, because Adams has the spot locked down. I'm really hoping this is going to lead to fewer foreign vets, but more choice ones. Gulbradsen is a nice player, but is he that much better than Etienne? The short answer is yes, he does have some ability above that of other forwards. OTOH, he's just not being effective, yet. And I'm sure Etienne is a way cheaper option. Doing that kind of math, it may not make sense to retain his services beyond the term of his loan. Likewise, with Veron, there just doesn't seem to be a place for him in this squad, with the likes of Muyl, Etienne, and other younger players down in the 2nd team.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  22. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been major youth advances in the past few years which are going to have an INCREDIBLE impact on the Red Bulls. The invention and expansion of the homegrown rules, the affiliation with the USL, and Red Bull's own investment (which is CONSIDERABLE compared to other MLS sides) are going to usher us into exciting territory. If we can somehow begin to RETAIN top level academy talent (Miazga/Adams) that will be the final piece.

Arena is right about 2026. MLS is on the cusp of a MAJOR talent uptick.

Woodrow and USSoccerNova repped this.
  23. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If Ben Mines is signed, and I guess he is still 16-17, that would give the Red Bulls yet another teenager in their ranks, adding to Adams and Etienne. He also is at that age where you want to get attackers in and quickly integrate them into professional play. Despite his still technically amateur status, Mines is now in his second year as a pro, having several appearances for the Young Bulls last year. When you start to talk about how certain clubs have formed around a core group for extended runs at the top, ala Manchester United with Giggs, But and the Neville's; or Barcelona with Xavi, Iniesta and Messi; it takes a special group and a great club infrastructure.

Along those lines, the rumor is that the owners are getting ready to triple down on TAM, with yet another increase. These are the mechanisms that can allow clubs to keep offering financial incentives to players in an effort to retain their services. Even getting an extra year or two out the young players being developed would be a huge help in building a winning squad drawn on homegrown talent.

msilverstein47 and kokoplus10 repped this.
  24. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Money talks" as the saying goes. I think if we had offered Miazga a bigger payday than Chelsea he would have stayed. I don't really buy this rhetoric of "all MLS players want to play in Europe." If we can pay them I bet they stay. Now are we going to be able to afford Chelsea money in the near future to all of our prospects? No. However, a little more TAM wouldn't hurt...

msilverstein47 repped this.
  25. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #1075 Woodrow, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Agree 100%. Hindsight being what it is, I'm sure another season and a half or two in MLS would have benefitted all parties. He was a lock starter here in NY, and by now would have been getting regular National team opportunities, too.

P.S. I just want to add one more thing. In general our 19-20 year olds struggle to make the transition from MLS to Europe, especially at the big clubs. That said, even Brazilians take some time to really establish themselves at clubs like Barcelona, but they do make it. OTOH, they have the numbers, there are so many middling Brazilians in clubs littered across European leagues and in multiple divisions. They produce so many quality players that when one really stands out, there's a pretty good chance he'll turn into a star performer. The US is well of that pace in credibility. Even our very best players still don't match that level, but it is slowly changing. While I do sympathize with a guy like Miazga, he made his choice, and hopefully he's just one of the early pioneers in a long line of Academy signings. That he should have been 22 instead of 20 before leaving is a moot point now.

msilverstein47 repped this.