NYCFC

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by bkn0528, May 21, 2013.

1. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    Discuss...

2. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    when I google NYCFC, I get a bunch of links about free health care clinics.

Polemarch repped this.
  3. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Hooray, now we'll have two teams with mediocre attendance for the rest of the league to constantly comment on. I think it will be a healthy relationship between the two teams in the long run but maintain that Garber is deluded into thinking Seattle-esque support will show up for this new team, MLS as a whole simply isn't popular enough here.

Haven't read much yet but having the Yankees involved should certainly help with the stadium situation.

4. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    Two teams with deep pockets in NY.

5. Slim_Tim501

Slim_Tim501 Member

May 19, 2010
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I think the bid should've gone down south to open up that market a bit more, but the logic of putting a team in the actual city seems like a good enough idea. The "Red Bulls can't fill their stadium" is a terrible argument against this.

edit: A possible concern.. Is building a Yankees affiliated business/franchise/team in QUEENS a good idea? Other than that, about a half-billion dollars will be brought in through this expansion. The $100 million expansion fee plus a $340 million stadium. That has to be good for the league.

Also how will this affect RB? Will future DPs choose to go there now since it will be in the city and not the industrial wasteland that is Harrison? Will we become RBNJ since the majority of our fans are from Jersey anyway? (doubtful)

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  6. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm personally looking forward to welcoming NYC's Mets and Man United fans to our stadium in 2015 :D

Look at the website, its decked in Man City colors and has a link to their official webpage! Isn't that sort of affiliation exactly what everyone blames as the number one reason Chivas is failing?

raymondleone and Matt in the Hat repped this.
  7. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's going to be great. Over time it's going to be the best rivalry in the MLS and it's going to have that Inter Milan/Ac Milan or Manchester United/ Man City rivalry that the league is looking for and what Chivas USA/LA galaxy failed to deliver.

But it doesn't make sense that they don't have a stadium set in place. It would be HILARIOUS if they build the stadium in NJ..

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  8. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible from RBNY's perspective. No way to sugarcoat it.

9. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    Overall I think it's a good thing, but I don't see the full potential of a NYC team without the stadium being in Manhattan or at minimum, the closer sections of Brooklyn. Nothing sexy about Queens (assuming they get the approvals for their current plan).

10. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    website? Link? i cant find it

from a 3rd party perspective i think it's great and it should help invigorate the fan base of RB and NY as a whole.

11. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay !! FC Designated Player III.

12. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. It's going to put pressure on the organization as a whole to achieve their objectives(on and off the field). We still have a way to 2015 and maybe alot of the projects that the organization has promised around the stadium will come to fruition.

If we somehow win the league that will immediately stamp our position in the area.

Don Nino El Dios repped this.
  13. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    i could only find the website by first going to Man City's site, and following a link there.

14. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.nycfc.com/

it's pretty much copy and pasted from the man city website. i'm pretty sure that's what they did based on the logos being used to so i think its more preliminary work but the colors i imagine will be the same...

15. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wearing my NYRB fan hat, this make's me insecure. Despite being first, I feel like this ownership group may care more, have deeper pockets and savier execs and so I think it could be possible that NYRB might be eclipsed in terms of attention and grandeur and location.

Wearing my soccer fan hat this move is great. It is a shit pile of money and people who seem to know what they are doing. No one really does NY media and sports as well as the Yanks. There are hundreds of thousands of soccer fans in Queens, BK and LI who aren't easily and conveniently served by NYRB so from a market stand point, this is great. I do like the potential for derby type games and I would eagerly trek to Queens on the weekend to support Metros which is something (going to the city from NJ on weekend) that is anathema to me.

Wearing NYRB fan hat again I think the front office needs to step up their game in order to build more excitement in the already considerable NJ soccer community. I think they still could make better inroads into Ironbound, Kearny, Union, Elizabeth etc from a branding standpoint. Look, the Devils and Rangers both seem to do alright and their attendance figures are almost identical. I think soccer is a much bigger game than hockey so done right, this can work and redound to the benefit of the league.

Also, two teams, yankees involvement=more medial attention...radio, rags...etc.

Don Nino El Dios and iced1776 repped this.
  16. Slim_Tim501

Slim_Tim501 Member

May 19, 2010
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto. Now would be the time to start winning trophies, not to say there's ever a time where winning silverware isn't necessary.

Hey, maybe we can pass the "That's so Metro" torch onto these guys?

17. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let the player and fan arms race begin.

18. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honest question, not trying to stir anyone up. Do you guys feel that the Red Bulls name/logo turns fans off the team? It all can come off as a bit Mickey Mouse to some people

lefutur repped this.
  19. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not having a go... probably the same percentage of fans that are turned off by Puke Green shirts that blend perfectly with the color of field turf.

or any other cosmetic thing you could name about any team in MLS

20. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Its definitely an issue for some people, but not nearly as many as some diehard "Metro" fans would have you believe. Of the dozens of NYC soccer fans I've talked to, the name has only come up as an issue once, everything else boils down to the fact that the level of play is not high enough to warrant their time and money.

phoenixhazard repped this.
  21. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    Absolutely.

22. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to throw up in the face of every person who says that to me about MLS.

Don Nino El Dios repped this.
  23. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have a go all you want, I hate the sounders! ugliest kits in mls by miles and the most obnoxious self entitled fans.

24. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean you can't argue with them either. Coming fresh off a Premiership match to watching MLS does take a level of patience. I still stick with MLS bc the only way it will improve is with fans and it's our league

25. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, they way I see the Red Bulls marketing all over your kits and your name just always screamed to me that it's more about red bull than its about soccer...

perhaps nycfc is the kick in the butt RB needed ?