NYCFC, Wilpon and 2012 hope

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by napolisoccer, Dec 22, 2008.

1. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Nick, you live in NYC and surely you know that the major symbols of your fantastic city ( Empire State Building, Chrysler Building etc ) have been built in 1930 and you know that the crise of 1929 hasn't been less hard than the actual crise. Even in Italy there is a strong economic crise and just today the Italian Government appropriated the financings to building of the enormous Messina's bridge !!
    Now I am sure that just this is the time to build new infrastructures as stadiums and so I hope that the great PRESIDENT of Borough Boys NYC will have a meet with Wilpon in the next weeks and say you that the MOST IMPORTANT CITY IN THE WORLD IS READY TO HAVE A SOCCER TEAM IN MLS ALREADY BY 2012 and that he NOT MUST DISAPPOINT US AGAIN !!!!
    Forza Nick, you don't disappoint me !!!!

2. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabio - you are right - now is the time to build but rightn now the city is not going to fund a stadium - again - not after we just got a new mets, yankees, Nets arena in BK might happen. In Jersey you got a new Giants stadium, RB arena and the Devils arena. It might be tough with hospitals closing to convince the public we need a new stadium.

Also Wilpon will be paying a whole lot of money into this - money which he just lost a lot of with Madoff - once Citi Fields open he should be making a nice paycheck, and then hopefully things bounce back and he gets more of his money back - then he can pay the 40Million for the expansion team and the 200 million he would have to pay for a stadium.

Its easy for us to tell him to pay that much money - but all of us probably have made some adjustments in this economy - less travel, less going out - so he has to make adjustments too.

Look - Im not going to put the guy on top of the World but I honestly can not blame him for not pursuing it right now - to many factors - Economy is the big one - and the Mets failure two years in a row might be the other.

I wish we could be waiting for an announcment like st Louis, Vanc, Portland etc but things are never easy! We just have to keep working - it will pay off.

"We will get there" is what a league source told me about this NY2 - patience has to be had by all of us!

3. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    there have been many new stadia built in the new york area in the past few years and still being built. we have the mets, the yankees, the devils, the giants & jets, red bulls. that makes 5 new stadia that have been built in the past few years or are still being built. tough to expect MORE investment.

4. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We know that almost surely Vancouver and Portland will be the 17 and 18 teams in MLS by 2011. But the goal of St Louis is the expansion in MLS in 2011 OR 2012 ( to see http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1081207.html ). This is the reason because I am sure that in 2012 there will be other 2 teams in MLS and one between these two will be almost surely St Louis.
    Now my hope is only that NYC will be among the main candidate cities for the 20 team and I simply think that should be a mistake to think that surely the next expansion round will be in 2013...........

5. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

so in so many words you are callig me a moron :D hehe - just kidding dude!

6. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expansion in 2012 won't happen unless the salary structure changes. Considering the current economy I highly doubt that it will.

Oh and in regards to 2013... we'll be in full blown depression by then.

7. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Really bro - we are in the recession now - and people expect us to come out of it in 2010 sometime! ANd when we come out of it they expect a steep incline out of it.

While we are still in bad shape we are on the verge of the third straight day (keep them crossed) of positive trading (special thanks to Citi saying they have been more profitable than expecting). WE might be on the verge of a good run to some experts - a bear run or something like that they use!! Even if we are not - most people are saying in 2010 at some poit we will get out of it! WE might be at the floor now!!!!

If for some reason we are still in a recession at 2013 - we will all not care about MLS! We will have other things to worry about!

Sorry bro - read up before making a statment like that!

8. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If we are in a recession by then, it will surely be called a depression and China will most likely invade. TIME TO MOVE!

Hopefully, we all will be watching our teams and nothing of this will have happened.

9. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

haha - MOVE!!

I happen to agree that i dont think they ill expand in 2012 but I dont think 2013 is out of the question - and I dont think the economy will be a serious issue then - I think we will be out of it then.

With that said - and im sure Metros will agree - if after this expansion - investors say - we have 40+ million for your expansion fee - we have a stadium plan and a huge potential fan base - im pretty sure the league wont turn them down!! Jsut my hunch though!

10. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Absolutely no, Nick !!! Do you know that somebody in a thread of MLS GENERAL said that the NYCFC fans are idiots if they think that NYC will have a soccer team soon ? I don't think to be an idiot, but only a true NYCFC supporter.

P.S. Compliments for great MUFC game !!!!

11. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Depends on what he considered soon! On the outside - people dont want to see a second team in NY for a magnitude of reasons. There are fans elsewhere that want a team and they dont understand why NY needs 2 teams etc - ya know. I can see their argument - I just dont think they understand our side and why the league wants it.

Oh well - one thing i learned about BS - lots of people name call and judge but its a message board - you really dont know someone until you meet them and chat/hang out with them.

I mean look at NYC Cosmos - hehe - sorry dude - lots of people dislike him on the boards but I know him outside and in life - hes a great guy! Wouldnt want him NOT to be involved - you dont know anyone from a message board because half the people here arent their true selves!!

12. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    given the economic situation here and the billions that have been spent on new stadia i think it will be difficult for the city to have any part in funding a new stadium in the next few years. with all the spending cutbacks and talk of dread, spending millions on a stadium will be political suicide. this goes double for anything related to wilpon since he is involved in the madoff scandal. i think in the coming few years, if a team were to be here it would have to either play in an already built stadium or play in a stadium that was privately funded (thus creating jobs without any public spending involved). thats just my opinion though.

13. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think your dead on and I think he is aware of that too! Only thing he might be able to get is some infrastructure money - which would probably be limite as the area is already getting Subway repairs and LIRR reparis for the new Citi Field

He would partner up with someone to build an arena IMO - this one would cost about 200 Million to build - maybe 300 Mill!

14. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Start calling Wilpon, Garber just mentioned 2 more teams in 2012.

15. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Link? He's probably trying to fend off the USL attack on MLS.

16. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hes probably talking about the vancouver press conference - im shocked if the yare going to add again in 2012 - i thought 2013 for sure!

17. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No link, heard it on the presser.

18. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    When was the Vancouver presser? Today?

19. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yea - portland is next week - just read something saying he said 2012 - looks like th race is on for 2012 - lol - here we go again!

20. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harrison ground share? A la the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza?

[/ducks]

:p

21. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Where else do two rivals groundshare?

22. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LA - Milan - Rome - im sure there are more - those are ones off hand!

23. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maracana and the Morumbi sometimes for the big matches in Brazil.

24. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico City too, right? Lots of places.

25. BuddhaNYC

BuddhaNYC Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Queens, NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe MLS is taking over regions at a time...they have the pacific northwest all set up now with seattle, van, and portland. I can see either 2 outcomes to 2012. NYC and St. Louis, or they move to the south and get a team in florida and atlanta