NYCFC Stadium News (Or Lack Thereof)

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by sozopol, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this discussion about a stadium for NYCFC? If so, 15,000 doesn't cut it. I think the mayor is deceiving himself by noting that that capacity isn't all that much different from the Barclay Center, since the Barclay Center is an indoor arena for a team that plays twice as many games a season as NYCFC.

A 25,000 stadium on the Memorial Stadium site would be great, but I don't know whether that's possible. I went to an ASL game at Memorial Stadium in 1974 or '75, but I don't know the area.

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is virtually impossible...no parking, no mass transit hub and very poor traffic access for the on ramps to the Hutchinson River Parkway

3. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    I have never lived in NYC nor do I have any idea of what it is like to live/travel within that area. That being said, I think the underground parking deck may be sufficient enough to solve the parking issue and, I believe this would work out if their was a way to build it between 20-30k and if there are plans to turn the area into more of a "downtown" than a residential area.. What really puts salt on this proposal is that it would technically move the club out of NYC proper (from what I understand) which was their entire selling point from the beginning and that the land is supposedly in the middle of a neighborhodd. I would like to see City get their own digs soon rather than later though.

4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I think it's quite clear that you have any idea of what it is like to live/travel within NYC.

Put it this way: Between mass transit and shuttle bus, it would take over 2 hours to get from Brooklyn to Mt. Vernon. It also takes just over 2 hours to get to Philadelphia.

5. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They might as well play at Union stadium I think it's called Talen Energy Stadium . Mt Vernon plz nooooooooo.
    Woodstock won't be that bad . Just kidding.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  6. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Asked earlier about 2 sites. Sunnyside yard /Amtrak yards. There have been plans to cover it over to create a "new city", could a small slice be used for a stadium and is there a location that would make for ideal transit use?
    I know its Long Island, but it's literally across the East River from Manhattan.
    Other location is the Brooklyn Ship yards. What is going in there if anything currently and that talk of a waterfront light rail line could be a possible link to all the subways. Also fairly close to Manhattan as once again across the river.

7. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
  8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...I know most Americans can't grasp this concept but 56% of New York households don't have cars.

9. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Well we really do not know, you are right about not being able to grasp that concept as all we are told/shown is heavy traffic all the time. But that is more good news than anything, just one less thing to have to consider when looking for a site.

Paul Berry repped this.
  10. thekorean

thekorean Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Club:
    New York City FC
    44% of 20 million people is still quite a large figure lol.

11. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #312 Fiosfan, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It adds an extra complication in that there's a requirement for excellent transportation links. There are parts of the city outside of Manhattan which are not well served by the Subway or overland trains.

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Islanders have that project already in the bag...you heard it here first...lol

14. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good they can have it.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  15. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not too happy that we are playing in Connecticut. This was what I was worried about with playing at Yankee Stadium. I have a feeling this is going to become a more common thing.

dark knight repped this.
  16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah and I'm way more upset that their STH are being given the option to purchase discounted seats...how is that for loyalty? IMHO they should give them BOTH free tix and transportation.

17. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's kind of ridiculous. Everyone is automatically being given a full refund for the game. If they still want to go, we get a fairly substantial discount.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can I ask...is it more or less than a 50% discount?

19. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a big deal I don't mind driving there instead Harrison . I put in for a day off already .

20. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    No wonder I hate NJRedBulls

21. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see a soccer specific stadium in Queens but Bronx is my second choice .

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States