NYCFC and NYRB fans clash before the New York derby

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by carnifex2005, Aug 9, 2015.

1. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Heh. This just makes me laugh. So silly.

2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we sure that's not just a normal Sunday afternoon in New Jersey?

bunge, Revolusean, *rey* and 26 others repped this.
  3. TexasCorner

TexasCorner Member

Jul 12, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The retirement banner is funny but I like the last one about 20 years late, no stadium, etc. Anybody got a picture of that one?

4. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

esc0, (TxT), joehooligan0303 and 5 others repped this.
  5. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sandwich board added a nice touch.

6. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
  7. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green Street must have aired on ToolTV last night.

8. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This can really slow down MLS's rise with terribly negative media attention! I'm annoyed with this. There was never a massive brawl like this between the Galaxy and Chivas. Some incidents, but not like this.

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Calm down. The media will hardly notice.

10. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Unfortunately.

11. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hooliganism outside a soccer pub?

We've made it y'all.

12. Eskapeesto

Eskapeesto Member

Nov 16, 2014
    Does anyone know who these guys are? They don't strike me as any of the various ultras groups or supporters clubs. Are they ex-pats or are they really chanting "Who are ya?!" in a faux English accent lol.

Maybe I'm out of the loop but I hadn't heard of any new attempt to establish hooligan firms in NYC/NJ. I've seen fights between MLS fans but this looks a bit more "organized."

13. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Not to be all tough guy here. But if that is the case shoot the bastards as a warning to the rest of the troublemakers.

Or taze them. I love me a good tasing.

But seriously, it this is the direction this port goes in this country, i'm out. I am not going to deal with it.

KCbus, JasonMa, Namrog The Just and 3 others repped this.
  14. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14 THOMA GOL, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    With a jipped British chant to top it off!!! Eh, ya know, just part of the culture with the sport, no?

At any rate, based on the video clip I saw, none of those involved are hipster or soft enough to be in MLS supporter sections, at least the 'bros' on the left side of the clip. Maybe they watch the sport of soccer, maybe not, who knows.

A few seasons ago, after Columbus won 3-1 at RBA, a decent sized group of scrubs headed to our bus. A couple held up a small banner they had stolen, but RBA security had taken it back. Some tend to think that Garden State Ultras were part of the group, but I wouldn't confirm that. Perhaps deviants see soccer as an opportunity to act out on elevated deviance (since after all, hooliganism is only what some uneducated types perceive soccer to be about).

From my observations of supporter culture in the league and across the divisions, there's been a decent amount of stamping out more edgier fanatics in supporter sections, especially ridding of those who freely show their club colors with pyro or some who believe that fighting or high antagonizing at stadia is the way to go. Club-sponsored supporters have more clout than independent types (to which those with more edge stood with) and so it is easier to name and shame when you can run and tell the suits.

CeltTexan and sitruc repped this.
  15. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    Who are ya? who are ya?

maybe rival factions of Eurosnobs are clashing... wasn't Arsenal-West Ham on tv this morning or something?

Mattbro, Namrog The Just, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  16. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What news media unless you mean laundromat newspapers.

17. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, there is a lot of lads who call themselves NYCFC Hooligans. Not sure if those little boys were involved with this incident or not.
    It's the first year of the team, these types of people will likely be weeded out over time once they realize they are a joke and others mock them. It was like the second or third home game when a group of Neo-Nazi idiots were in the supporters section. After that one match, those folks were not seen again as the SG's and the stadium security got together to put an end to that. It's just part of the first year thing in a place like New York. Give it time and we wont see BS like this a couple years from now.

T.M. Anthony, zensum and Bubba1971 repped this.
  18. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy.

It's a bunch of idiot wannabes fake fighting before a pre-declared "derby".

I've noticed the league has toned down the "supporters group" thing this year. That said, great NYRB crowd tonight.

The "supporters" were an integral part of MLS growth. But we've quickly grown past punk rock scenesters. If they want to slap fight fine, but they have very little to do with the game itself.

19. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    http://nypost.com/2015/08/09/nycfc-red-bulls-fans-have-wild-brawl-outside-newark-pub/

I saw this as the ill will rivalry game...both fanbases have internal disputes...RedBullOut on our side and "where's our superclub" in the Bronx...and there's genuine friction between the fanbases...

Considered trying to speak with the front office before the game to advise them to beef up security...

Anticipated fighting before during and after the game...

This fight was at the GSU bar...apparently the GSU got into an altercation at the Third Rail bar in the Bronx before Battle for New York 2 so this was likely payback...

What wasn't discussed in the article is the continuing practice of groups of NYCFC fans targeting RBNY fans (or really individual fans) for punches and petty theft of scarves and hats...apparently this went on too...and after having their supporters' allotment cut from 1,500 to 500 (didn't mean much though NYCFC fans just purchased most of the additional thousand seats in that corner when they were released to the general public) the Third Rail still set off smoke near the end of the game...

NYCFC fans aren't thinking this thing through...every one of these videos and articles will be NIMBY exhibit A if and when they select a stadium site in New York City...or elsewhere really...

20. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 Bubba1971, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    Like I said, I think the Ultras thing is on it's way out. Anything NYCFC does at this point will be throwing water at a fire hydrant. The sport after long delay is becoming mainstream. There's absolutely place for guys like the Viking Army and any fans who want to get a little rowdy and stand and sing. The atmosphere on TV tonight was awesome, close to the best I've seen.

But I've known for a year or two now I've realised that the wannabe Euro ultra guys are a lost cause. They'll move on to something else eventually.

21. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I was reading on the NATerraces Facebook comments that it was a group that was originally NYRB supporters and split off and you have friction there between those who split and those who stayed?

Anyways they tried to push their way into the bar, you have the scene that followed.

I have read and heard enough stories to know this isn't anything new to MLS.

I have seen fan/supporter interactions first hand that werent far from escalating into something similar.

22. Eskapeesto

Eskapeesto Member

Nov 16, 2014
    I'm hearing Batallon 49 and Empire State Ultras were the NYCFC mob.

B49 is a Latino bonehead crew (i.e. racist "skinheads"). They don't openly claim to be Nazis but they use all kinds of White Power symbols. It's disgraceful that these scumbags haven't been run out of the stadium. I can recall hearing about Polish neo-Nazis at Giants Stadium in the early days of the MetroStars. The ESC and the Red & Black Brigade (mostly RASH-Northeast members) dealt with them immediately.

Tony in Quakeland repped this.
  23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latino skinheads ? David Duke is rolling over in his grave!

esc0 repped this.
  24. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's good they were asking that question because both sides have not done anything in MLS. So who are they exactly.

EDIT: NYRB did win the Shield.

Bill Archer and Dyvel repped this.
  25. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    before the game i saw one nycfc guy led away by cops inside the stadium, and when they saw him some red bull fans razzled him from a distance and he turned around and gave it back to them, middle fingers all around. but i don't know what the guy did to get picked up. didn't see anything else, either on the way in or out. i do think the 'fuxk the red bulls' chants by the nycfc corner were classless. my general sense (i've also been to yankee stadium) is that these are expansion team fans, overdoing it, trying a little too hard to get 'in the game.' we'll see in the future.