NYC Subway and Bus Strike

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Matt in the Hat, Dec 20, 2005.

1. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then vote for candidates who want a small federal government (are there ever any of those?), and state/local candidates who support subsidization of mass transit.

4. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    why? How does a small federal goverment help in ensuring that all Americans are insured? And the subway system, and indeed, projects that link airports and trains to the subway system are projects that have benefits for the region and the entire country. It needs political support across state and municipal borders. States rights is not the answer to creating a great transportation infrastructure, a supportive federal government is. Unfortunately, our government (Republicans and Democrats alike) are too invested in the automobile model.

5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you plan on increasing the funding?

So it's only the Republicans fault about the crappy subway system? Not Sheldon Silver?

6. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One other thing. Were the subways better under Liberal mayors/congress/presidents or Conservative mayors/congress/presidents over the last 40 years

7. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    No, my QoL isn't great. But, there's bad and there's worse. Wachtell is worse. There are firms that I KNOW I can call at past midnight and still find the people I need to answer my questions on deals.

8. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    This, this all would have been better if we'd just kept Bob Moses around.

9. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moses would have dismantled the subway to make room for the underground highway system.

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't need the federal government. Keep your money and spend it on yourselves without paying the extra overhead that you have when you send the feds money just so they can give it back to you.

For regional projects, you have the Port Authority of NY and NJ, which is a collaboration between the two states. If other states need to be involved, do something similar. Why should someone in Texas, Florida, or Alaska care about the NYC subway system? Do you care about say a monorail in Seattle? Of course not.

a) New Jersey's transportation infrastructure, especially our roads, sucks.
    b) New Jersey sends more to the federal government than it gets back.

Do you think a) and b) are related? I do. Of course, there are other factors, but that's one.

In any event, getting back to the main topic, I can't believe this thing isn't settled yet. How long did the last one go for?

11. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Apropos of nothing, I have a student doing a fascinating senior project on the historical geography of garbage in New York City and she's found great stuff about how Moses used trash based fill to create most of his land development projects and "perfect" the city's shoreline.

12. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Yahoo is reporting that a thousand or so TWU'ers crossed the picket lines and MTA is going for a TRO in court which will free them up to fine the strikers $25,000/day. As if the New York Daily News' hopefully not-serious suggestion that dares Toussiant to walk the Brooklyn Bridge along with the millions he and his union have fvcked over with this strike wasn't bad enough. This will be settled by the weekend, but it will still be too late, IMO.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051221...UwBXw6s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

13. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn

11 days. The one before that went 21. The ironic thing (for me) is that on Monday I bought a unlimited Metrocard because I'm not commuting out of the city for the next month. It would be great if this strike ate that whole month.

(I know the days will be refunded back, but doesn't do me much good if I'm only in the city 3 days a week).

14. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    They are not idiots. Pataki and Kalikow wanted this strike. Pataki is fighting Bloomberg over Lower Manhattan development and he knows the public will blame Bloomberg for the strike since most people do not know that MTA is a state agency. Pataki in part wants to clip Bloomberg's wings a bit to make sure he and his cronies continue to feed at the trough.

15. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    HQ does not want to be held liable for the local's action. It's called CYA.

16. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Because Texas business people may come to NY to do business. Or they may rely on shipments that pass through NYC one way or another. Because it's better for everyone on the planet if the 7 million rides a day on the transit system stay on the transit system, rather than move into automobiles. It's an interconnected world, and some entity needs to be looking out for the greater good.

NJ roads suck? What more do you want? Geez.

17. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Let's clean up the rampant corruption at the MTA before taking it out on the workers. The MTA keeps two sets of books and lies to the public on a regular basis about its capital budget. The fact that the system is badly maintained is a disgrace. Remember the track fire that shut down a subway line last year. These guys should be in jail.

18. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many shipments ride on NJ roads. In fact the major port facilities for Philly and NYC are in NJ. Perhaps if NJ was able to keep their own money the roads wouldn't suck so bad

19. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would close down the MTA tomorrow if I had the power. No love lost on them.

20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    One who's ceilings were too low to allow buses to pass.

21. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, because NYC taxpayers anually give $20 billion more to both the state and federal governments than we get back. You want to complain about funding our subway system? Fine. Give me my money back, you bitch.

And don't forget my black t-shirt.

22. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Eleven days in April, 1980.

23. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A stroke of brilliance in racism. I grew up in East Islip which is the town at the end of the Southern State Parkway. The idea of racial diversity there is the Italians and Irish getting along.

24. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Yeah, and stop coming here with your damn political conventions to exploit a tragedy that occurred 2 miles from where I live.

25. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    I worked for a federal judge while I was in law school. I asked him one day what one book I should read to understand New York. Without blinking, he said The Power Broker by Robert Caro. A brilliant book.