NYC metro area

Discussion in 'Supporters Abroad' started by mutinywxgirl, Mar 16, 2005.

1. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I just have to say that I love this idea for the non-local fans of DCU. And since I just adopted DCU as my new team last year, I am hoping to find some DCU supporters in the NYC area. It'd be great to get together to watch games when possible.

Anyone out there??????

2. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    In your face, Metros!

3. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Yeah, I know - pretty sad, huh? But, I just can't bring myself to be a Metros supporter. I will report on them and other things for another job, but as far as being a fan, I've decided it's DCU or nothing - and considering I HATED DCU in 1996 because of beating my beloved Mutiny, this is an accomplishment.

4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I've loathed the New York/New Jersey MetroStars since I first heard that ridiculous name in 1995. I was at their first home game and a few others that year but in a league that eschewed class, they were the least classy team. That was quite a dubious accomplishment. They've somehow managed to keep that tradition going.

That empty stadium in festering New Jersey was the antithesis of all the things I loved about soccer and made the interminable commute past abandoned factories and sacharine cul-de-sacs feel like a death march. When I saw the stands bouncing in RFK, NJ's slim chance for my loyalty was dashed.

These days I won't go to Giants Stadium...New Jersey gives me hives and it just isn't worth the headache or tolls. I'd rather go down to RFK a couple times a year and follow via the media.

Had to get that off my chest. :)

5. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Holy crap dude, way to storm onto the boards with a vengance. That was quality.

Welcome aboard.

6. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    With a name like HATE, he has to be good.

7. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

I don't support any MLS squad but I had to say I couldn't agree with you more on your opinion of New Jersey as a state. Well done on your first post and welcome to Big Soccer!!

8. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Yeah, welcome aboard!

9. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Was just wondering if I'm the only one to get neg repped for stating that Hates post was good???

10. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

Fvcking Jersey!!! First they steal the Giants then they try to steal the Statue of Liberty whats next???? Well I can't complain to much if Jersey didn't exist where would we dump our trash? :p :D :)

11. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Not by me, you haven't.

12. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

True indeed!! :)

13. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I'll be at all the games, but I'll be on the sidelines shooting the game for another site.

14. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    During the two season's that I've been up here, I've made it to a bunch of matches, because I wanted to see MLS games - not just the Metros. Give it a try. Since I didn't grow up here, I can't understand the comments about NJ, but I'm beginning to get an idea. I don't care where they play, I get to see professional soccer. Trust me - if it were taken away from you (like what happened to those of us in FL) you'd appreciate what you have so much more!

15. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Mutinygirl, how do you like Yonkers? It's a nice big city huh? I'm your neighbor, i'm in Mount Vernon. :)
    But i'm not a DC fan.. nor a hardcore Metros fan, although I do tend to somewhat follow them. I guess I really dont' have an MLS team... and I wont until New York gets a true New York team... and with them going to Harrison, it means longer distance from me and i'll have less of a chance to go see them.. oh well.

16. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Understood! Actually, I moved to Yonkers from Mount Vernon. Yes, NY needs a true NY team. Regardless, because of my involvement in the sport over the years, I will still go - no matter what. If anyone asks me who I'm rooting for (other than when DCU is in town), I can get away with saying, the referees, as many of them are my friends.

17. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

I definitely never complain of a lack of soccer in the area as I have been known to go see my old high school team play from time to time ( they won the states this year) I just haven't made it out to the meadowlands for a match yet.

Mutinywxgirl the whole Jersey thing is a joke based on the fact that Jersey has an inferiority complex to New York and all the toxic waste produced in Jersey!!! :D

18. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Mutinywxgirl, referees are nobody's friends.

And dammit, NYR Metros, no pimping your team on our board. Get out of here!

19. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Spider - actually, I really AM friends with many of them....sorry for you to hear that. If you saw my cell phone numbers, you would see what I mean. Seriously, at least 50 of the 200 numbers belong to referees, or those associated with referees.

20. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    well they're known to associate with genocidal dictators, mass murderers and lawyers :)

21. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Damn them for associating with lawyers.

Sachin

22. Lemieux

Lemieux Member

Aug 19, 2000
    Baltimore Federal Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a DC supporter and am interviewing for a job in Mahweh, New Jersey. Does anybody know anything about this town? Is it nice? Cost of Living? Thanks

23. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

It's New Jersey!!!! All women have teased up hair and wear to much makeup....All the guys drive Irocs or Camaros...And everyone listens to Bon Jovi and Bruce all day long..... ;)

24. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mahwah is very nice. Cost of living? Very expensive. Are you going to rent, buy? If so... I hope the job is offering a nice salary.

BTW, North Jersey has quite a decent population of Ukrainians, I'm sure you'd be able to find other Mettalist supporters here. But I can guarantee you won't find any DCU supporters, unless they're 10 year old kids running around pretending they're Freddy Adu.

25. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Better ask for a massive salary if you expect to live anywhere near where you work.

Sachin