NYC here we come!! info req'd

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by Saintee, Sep 16, 2003.

1. gatopreto

gatopreto Member

May 31, 2000
    NYC
    That was another of my cousin's favorite things.

My personal fave is a toasted onion bagel with cream cheese.

Oh, I forgot, there's a good little place for gyros & falafels on 8th between 23rd & 24th called Pita Pan Cafe. The only thing is you have to tell them to put the yogurt sauce on the gyro, otherwise they'll put the falafel sauce on it.

If you want some real american food, you can have some BBQ baby back ribs at Dallas BBQ, 23rd & 8th. They are soooo good, although the restaurant is usually really noisy. They have a few other locations too.

=================================

Okay, I think I'm done. :D

Is your group 4 guys, or is there a girl or two also?

2. gatopreto

gatopreto Member

May 31, 2000
    NYC
    Nope, not quite. Be sure to bring a photo ID with proof of age when you go club & bar hopping. Not all places will ask, but a lot, particularly in the West & East Villages, will. You can use your passports (probably should, in fact) . The first night I took my cousins out, we couldn't drink at a lot of places b/c they had no ID with them.

3. gatopreto

gatopreto Member

May 31, 2000
    NYC
    And a word up to those saying don't hang out in Times Square. Def go there, & check out all the neon, but above all DO NOT EAT there. It's all crappy overpriced chain restaurants with mediocre food.

If you're there & tired from walking, etc, and you really need to sit & have a beer, there's a nice pub/restaurant on 46th just off 7th Ave (going towards 6th Ave) called the Pig & Whistle. I've had appetizers there which were good, but never had dinner.

My husband used to work on 48th Street, and his co-workers liked to drink at the bar of this mexican chain place nearby called Tequilaville. It would just break my heart to see the tourists there eating that crappy food when just over on 9th Avenue were all these good restaurants.

Poor little tourists. :(

4. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    True, but I find Stoned Crow on 6th (?) and Washington Pl to be pretty quite once you're past happy hour.

And the Met's doing an El Greco exhibit right now. I should check it out.
    Yep.
    When I'm eating out, if I'm too lazy to calculate 15%, I just double the tax and give 17%+, more if I'm happy or drunk.
    I pick up The Onion every Wed/Thursday. Not just for the humor, but also for the event listings and A&E reviews. Not as full as Village Voice but still top notch.

5. gatopreto

gatopreto Member

May 31, 2000
    NYC
    Hmmm. I don't know that place - what's it like? Do they have food too?

El Greco! I had no idea - I love El Greco. I wonder if they have View of Toledo...that would be awesome. That's one of my favorite paintings ever.

Thank you!

Yeah, I usually do the double the tax thing too.

The Onion kicks ass. So funny.

6. gatopreto

gatopreto Member

May 31, 2000
    NYC
    THEY HAVE IT!!!!!!

http://www.metmuseum.org/special/El_Greco/domenikos_images.htm

Thank you so much for mentoning that!
    ===================================

Wait a minute - has it been there all along?

[​IMG]

View of Toledo, ca. 1597–99
    El Greco (Domenikos Theotokopoulos) (Greek, 1541–1614)
    Oil on canvas; 47 3/4 x 42 3/4 in. (121.3 x 108.6 cm)
    The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
    H. O. Havemeyer Collection, Bequest of Mrs. H. O. Havemeyer (29.100.6)
    © The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
    Photo 1992

==================================

I found out the Rooftop cafe is open until Nov 2. :)

http://www.metmuseum.org/visitor/dining_roof.asp

7. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I think there's a Dallas BBQ right near Times Square. It's not the genuine article - I'm pretty sure they use smoke flavoring - but I guess it's okay. Virgil's BBQ is right near there and is supposedly okay also but pricier. There was a recent NYTimes article on pit bbqs in NYC that I'm looking forward to trying out.

8. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Stoned Crow is on 85 Washington Pl (one block above 4th St) near 6th Avenue. I don't think they serve food. It's more of a neighborhood bar than a typical West Village joint.

Yeah, I just found out about the El Greco exhibit reading Time magazine. It just started I think, and it goes till the end of the year.

For BBQ, I like Brother Jimmy's. There are 3 locations, 2nd Ave btw 77th & 78th, Amsterdam btw 80th and 81st and 3rd Ave and 92nd. I've only gone to the 2nd & 77th location but the Carolina boy in me loves it. It gets packed when there's ACC hoops on TV.

9. gatopreto

gatopreto Member

May 31, 2000
    NYC
    Virgil's is supposed to be good.

I was thinking of the Times Sq. crap like Applebee's, TGI Fridays, and their ilk. Crapola.

I still need to find a good inexpensive place here for chicken fried steak. There used to be a place on Avenue B that had it. Virgil's has it, but $16.50 is more than I wanna spend on that. I have to try it at Cowgirl Hall of Fame sometime.

Huh. It's $15.50 there. Isn't chicken fried steak usually a cheaper dish?

Have you seen this site? - it has tons of menus from NYC restaurants: www.menupages.com

Virgil's menu: http://www.menupages.com/screenmenu.asp?restaurantId=3899&urlScreen=MW418.html

Cowgirl Hall of Fame: http://www.menupages.com/screenmenu.asp?restaurantId=526&urlScreen=GV059.html

I know Dallas BBQ isn't really authentic Southern, but damn their baby back ribs are good!

10. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I like Virgil's okay (love their hush puppies) but I prefer the prices and atmosphere (and the wait staff :p) at Brother Jimmy's.

11. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I just got back from four days in NYC, visiting my wife who is on a short-term contract assignment.

Canal Street sucked, if for no other reason than the pick-pockets. Place is crawling with them. If you go, keep two hands on your wallet. The cheap CDs and leather goods are OK and the vendors will negotiate, but beware.

Ground Zero was really not worth a visit. It is nothing but a construction site surrounded with hawker stands and clueless tourists, smiling in front of the scar in the ground. If you go, be ready to be disappointed.

Those were the two downers. Now the uppers.

Most wonderful was Central Park. On the East Meadow, there are some pick-up soccer games. It's got a real East Harlem feel to it, the locals are nice, in an edgy way. After doing a bit of a kick-about, my wife and I went to a deli at 110th and Lexington for Reubens where the locals were watching soccer on Telemendo.

Next best was Soho, on West Broadway between Grand and Broome Streets. Loads of local color, and a great bohemian vibe. We had a gas, eating, drinking and people watching. Folks were really pleasant in that neighborhood. Just walk around and find a place you like. The locals are great and will provide guidance.

Almost equal to Soho was Hell's Kitchen, around 50th and 9th. I was really surprised how upbeat and funky this area was. Great Greek and Italian food, some nice coffee joints and plenty of taverns.

Street vendors provide quite good food. Look for the guys selling Halal meats. Often you can get a gyros or chicken in a pita for $3.00, and it is really tasty.

We stayed in Times Square. I thought the location was great, and it was near the Rockefeller Center where my wife worked. It really has nothing to offer except tourist shops. They will negotiate, so it can be fun for the sporting aspect.

Have fun! It is a great city.

12. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Oh yeah, and the Pig & Whistle is really cool, on 47th, near 7th Ave. I second Gato's suggestion!

If you like quiet, with Irish music, try Rosie O'Grady's at 51st and 7th.

BTW, do I get the avenues and streets backwards? straighten me out locals, I was/am/will always be one of those hopeless tourists.

13. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    You should always mention the avenue first - ie. Rosie O'Grady's at 7th and 51st. It's great that you enjoyed your stay. NYC is a great place.

14. Saintee

Saintee New Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Perth, Scotland
    CHEERS

What a amount of info i have just had to take in Gato!! Thanks. ;-)

Reckon i should just print off this thread and take it with me to NYC , use it as a checklist to make sure i have seen, drank and eaten everywhere i should!!

Just checked out the weather forecast, chilly??Better goin get my bag packed!! and remember to take something warm :)

oh yeh, Perth is in the East of Scotland, not quite up North but getting there.

15. gatopreto

gatopreto Member

May 31, 2000
    NYC
    Huh. I usually say the opposite. For instance, 23rd & 8th. Or 53rd & Lex. Or 46th & 6th.

But I don't think there's really any "rule". :)

16. gatopreto

gatopreto Member

May 31, 2000
    NYC
    Re: CHEERS

Sorry. :D

I just know Chelsea pretty well.

The weather's been kinda back & forth. Some days it's been t-shirt weather, but the last few days a jacket's been needed.

Hope you enjoy your visit - be a little careful in the area just around your hotel though, 'kay.

Hope you & your friends have a great time. :)

Give us a recap when you get home.

17. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    No rule but I've never heard it done your way. Just shows that you learn something new everyday!

18. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Sal's, on Broome St. in Little Italy, makes a great Calzone and NY style pizza. And please if you go down to Ground Zero, don't take smiling pictures like your at Disneyland.

19. Saintee

Saintee New Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Perth, Scotland
    BACK, loving NYC's work

Thats me just returned from my week in NYC, what a great time, best pizza i had was from Two Boots in grand central. managed to do loads, shoppin, clubbin, eatin, sightseein and even took in a metrostars game.

Thanks for everyones help!!

Loving the baby back ribs...mmmmmm, Exit night club, 7 day metrocard, cheap shopping at woodbury common, Ryan's daughter on 1st and 86th street, central park, New Yorkers being friendlier than i imagined.......

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    "53rd & 3rd" by Dee Dee Ramone is another example.

It depends on what location you're talking about. If something is located on a street I would say "48th between 5th & 6th." On an avenue "5th Ave. near 48th." Just personal preference I guess. No right or wrong way.

21. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Re: BACK, loving NYC's work

Beautiful drive up there, isn't it?