NY v San Jose

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Chiefs, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Chiefs

Chiefs New Member

Dec 21, 2001
    We still have a chance on making it, but I am sure with NY's win over Phili - they feel pretty good and will come out strong. I am wondering which Rays team will show.

Borgmann back .... French out - I know...don't like it either

2. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought New York was eliminated from the post-season.

Still, this is a very easy opponent to beat--however, the one person who could carry the team over her shoulders, Tiffeny Milbrett, needs to be watched. She almost took the Rays singlehandedly but had it not been for the play of Brandi, the Power would have had that game.

It is imperative that the Rays win this game, try to handle a very tough Philadelphia team, and then try to take down Carolina on the road (as well as Philly again), and try to close out against a Boston team that held them tough the last time around.

I'm a bit realistic of the odds of getting to the postseason--a good but longshot chance, but if the team plays one game at a time, and focuses on the task at hand, it can be done. I won't say it's over until it's really over.

Cheers!

3. Chiefs

Chiefs New Member

Dec 21, 2001
    NY is elimated from post season, but I still think they will come out fighting!

4. TishaVench15

TishaVench15 New Member

Sep 29, 1999
    Florida
    SAN JOSE CYBERRAYS: QUESTIONABLE - D Danielle Borgman (R knee sprain); PROBABLE - D Kelly Lindsey (knee surgery); F Maren Hendershot-Brown (R knee sprain).

Where did you read about French? That is not good news. We really need her and we need Ian to realize that.

Milbrett HAS to be contained. I'm nervous about this match. NY has some new life in it and there have been many games this season(including the last match they played againist us)that slipped away from them and it was only a matter of time until they started getting some points. I hope we can stop them. Must win for the 'Rays.

5. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will be playing the role of spoiler, and they have the weapon to do just that...

I am also thinking they want to grab the #1 pick for 2003's draft--Aly Wagner I suppose?

Nap

6. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    Aww...come on! We should know by now the injury report is not remotely accurate. I mean, HELLO! Boof has been back playing after knee surgery for HOW many weeks now, but we're still listing her? :rolleyes:

I'm absolutely sickened if French is indeed hurt. Poor Frenchie, like she's not having enough "bad luck" getting benched all the time (for no one knows what) but then getting injured on top of it? Of course, the "French out" could merely have been a reference to Ian just not playing her, which if what we've seen lately is any indication, that's likely. Yuck. Either way French on the bench is just not good for our team. Someone please explain to me why just about everyone that posts here can all see this and yet the coaches can't? It makes my head hurt. OK, OK, you're all sick of me griping so I'm dropping it again.

On a positive note, if Borgman is healthy and ready to go, that makes me very happy.

I'm wondering which team is going to show up on both sides of the field for this game. As much as New York has had real problems with not having the right (healthy) players this season, they've also just plain underachieved as well (as much as the CyberRays have). New York has looked brilliant in patches and absolutely dismal in others. Tiff getting a hat trick on us the last time we played scares me a bit. Previously it really looked like she had 'Keysh in her head (she'd miss absolute "gimme" goals, which is not Tiff AT ALL) which worked in our favor, but she's obviously gotten over that with this last game. As good as our defense generally is, Tiff is simply one of the few players in the world who can without warning light anyone up at any time given the smallest opportunity. We need to be on our toes and not let her capitalize on any mental lapses. (That's my obligatory statement of the ridiculously obvious for today.)

That all having been said, Tiff can't do it all by herself. (Maybe just most of it.) New York is going to have to put together some semblance of defense to keep us from scoring. Um...well...I hope so anyway. We have been killing ourselves by missing our opportunities all season.

Still, warped as I am, I actually believe we're going to the playoffs. We can turn this ship around at any moment now, and if we can just get it all to click...we can be on a roll in no time! Yes, we're running out of time to do it, but I don't hear the fat lady singing yet! (That's not her that my avatar is breaking it down to--honest! I just got so jealous of tcmahoney's dancing hamster I had to copy a bit. ;) ) I hope this weekend we all get to hear the big *click* as everything falls into place for the 'Rays and we go on a tear through the rest of our games!

7. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  8. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simply stated - Brandi is the MVP of this team. She tends to make a difference and affect the outcome of the game. Without her, this team is simply toast.

I would be thinking she will be galvanizing the troops come tomorrow, and for the rest of the season.

Last weekend game, can't wait!

9. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida

I agree. And its not just because of her playing abilities, she's also a great motivator. I think it hurt them alot last weekend not only that she wasn't in the game, but that she wasn't on the sidelines either. She was there when they beat the Spirit without her on the field, on the sidelines probably yellin her head off with a bunch of motivational words. She's a great person, and a great player, and the Rays are sooo lucky to have her!

WAR MIGHTY RAYS

10. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    FYI for you folks with DirecTV and/or MSG...

MSG will be reairing this match at 10pm MDT Saturday evening. No clue of reairings after that, I was too lazy to look. Anyhoo this match overlaps with the Carolina v Atlanta match. I did not check to see if FXSS will be reairing the match. My suggestion is to watch/tape the Courage v Beat match and then catch the late night reairing of the Power v Cyberrays match.

11. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    Thanks Homie G Funk! That is the only re-airing that I found!

12. SoCcErHyPeR 2

SoCcErHyPeR 2 New Member

Aug 6, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    yeah brandi is great motivator.. but she doesn't have my vote for MVP.. sorry.. she plays well when she is in position and doesn't try to do too much.. she is soo experienced that i cant help but get angry when she tries to get too many calls our way... and stops playing the ball.. it's happened too many times when we're in good scoring opportunities.. gets pretty annoying.. sorry just my opinion..

13. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rita, who would you pick? The argument could be made with Katia. However, I judge an MVP by taking their stats with them in and out of the lineup, and how much they had made a difference.

I'm picking Brandi hands down. Still, anyone who supports Katia as MVP can state her numbers as a cause.

We can go on as to who should it be...

Can't wait until today, eh?

Cheers!

14. SoCcErHyPeR 2

SoCcErHyPeR 2 New Member

Aug 6, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Hmm.. I have a lot of different names floating about in my head but I think Katia does deserve MVP.. a lot of them do.. but she's been scoring when we need her to and stuff.. (lol braindead from lack of sleep) haha.. I'm not saying Brandi wont win it though.. cause obviously she's a huge fan favorite and if she doesn't get it i know a ton of little girls are gonna complain their behinds off.. lol.. K I'm off to bake some cookies ;)

15. TishaVench15

TishaVench15 New Member

Sep 29, 1999
    Florida
    Hi. I simply posted the injury report to support my question as to why French was said to be 'out'.

The Rays MUST win today and this will be another test as to how important Brandi really is to this team. Having Beene back is wonderful and a healthy Borgman would be a big plus, as well.
    GO RAYS!