NY Times::Stirring up the Adu pot re:trade to Scum

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by chayes, Jul 4, 2005.

1. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Since they could get millions in transfer for the kid by getting him playing time-instead of letting the coaching staff and front office decide-I have to wonder what's going on.

Not only AEG, but Nike, Sierra Mist, who knows what other businesses are involved that are interested in getting him minutes. His agent stands to lose millions.

The kid's reportedly playing badly, isn't getting along wonderfully w/the coach, gets subbed out at the half, and spends time on the bench.

Now, you tell me why if you were AEG, his agent, Nike, Sierra Mist or anyone else w/$ at stake, that you wouldn't give a s and would give DC's coaching staff and FO a pass on their handling of Adu......I'd figure they'd do all they could to make him look better than he is, not focus on how bad he really is or how much he needs to grow under the tutelage of a knowledgeable coach.

I'd guess there's a good chance Adu gets traded in the offseason, given what's happened and what's been said.

2. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    only thing swamp rats up north should be getting from us is more goals in the net.

only Freddy you're getting is a puppet one that some Texas minded marketing genius was dragging behind truck at MPF :p

3. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Let's see - if you were the "next Pele" which team would you rather play on:

1) A team with quality players, where you continually have to work to get into the starting 11 because your teamates are quite good, and you have a real chance at winning the MLS Cup several times before you jet off to Europe.

or

2) A team with a few quality players, where you can command a starting position because there aren't 11 good players on the team, and your chances of winning an MLS Cup are only slightly more than American Somoa winning the World Cup before you languish in the US because your stats are crap.

Tough choice... :rolleyes:

MPF!!!

4. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here we go again

1 article

months ago

0 quotes from Freddy

repeated 1,000 times by internet nuts and now it becomes common wisdom that Adu is not happy with Nowak

you people create these fantasies about the feelings and viewpoints of players, repeat them ad nauseum, then celebrate your collective wisdom and live with your collective assumpitions

I don't buy it. I say Freddy's happy. Who has ANY evidence otherwise? Not looking happy leaving a game? What starter does?

DC United boards. We eat our young. Any young player with press shall be given a one-month grace period then will be trashed for 1) poor play, average play, occasional flashes of brilliance, 2) not living up to [our] hype, 3) not being animated enough in a game, 4) being too animated in a game, 5) not fitting in with the team, 6) hiding on the field and letting veterans do all the work, 7) passing backwards too much, 8) being too aggressive on the dribble, 9) Not being better than Marco, Jaime, or Christian when playing a position other than those played by Marco, Jaime, or Christian, 10) Not playing as well with Marco, Jaime, or Christian in the lineup as they do when one or more of the aforementioned players is out and they get to play their preferred position, 11) acting happy when they don't play and therefore not caring about the shirt, 12) not acting happy when they don't play and therefore having a 'bad attitude', and in addition 13) any and all deficiencies not herein contained but perceived, suspected, or imagined by any or all BS DCU poster including the unpardonable sin of having been a hotshot youth player when we all, in fact, sucked in comparison and so secretly hate you for wearing the US Youth jersey and getting the hot chicks in high school...

Albright, Convey we got you, Mapp got out just in time, Adu is next, Eskandarian, well, you got a reprieve last year and somehow Olsen escaped the wrath...

5. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Looking at the DC roster right now where in the future do you see him getting more minutes then he gets now? It seems the problem Freddy has is he went to a team that is stocked at all the positions he plays. Moreno and Gomez still seem like they have a few years left in the tank. Maybe thats part of this. He doesnt see his situation changing much even next year.

6. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    If no one's worried about losing Adu, then why is there about 11 pages to this thread. :confused:

In a recent article by Ives Galarcep in the Record, he noted that the NY Times hasn't sent a writer to a single MetroStar home game this season. Take that for what it's worth.

Most Metros fans do not want Adu anyway.

7. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Columbus postgame thread is dead, KC pregame thread won't start until tomorrow.. WTF else are we gonna talk about? ;)

8. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Jack Bell is on bigsoccer. I've traded emails with him in the past.
    He follows MLS closely.

9. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my question, too. If I were PN, I would be majorly pissed right about now. It obviously hasn't been easy walking the tightrope of "play Freddy - develop him & disregard the team, if that's what's called for" & "subordinate Freddy's needs to the team's needs."

If Lalas indeed made the above statement (in any other soccer league around the world), he would be punished for it. It's one thing to generically say that you think "Player X" is a wonderful player. It's entirely more serious to express the thought, in the press, that "........He would certainly play in New York......I would love nothing more than for him to get fed up with D.C. Right now, I think the situation is a little like a Bruce Lee movie without a fight. He's got the star power, but there hasn't been the payoff."

If that's not player tampering, I don't know what is.

10. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    honestly, I'd be surprised if Moreno is a 90-minute player after next season...and Gomez never really has been a 90-minute player. I think Nowak could do a better job of structuring a rotation, rather than just waiting for one of them to get injured or suspended.

11. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate NY thread is pretty hot...

***Rumor is that Adu started that thread!***

~worm~

12. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree about Moreno cutting down on minutes, but if the last couple of games have been an indication, it seems like Gomez is getting his fitness levels up. I've noticed more determined two way play, and he's definately fresher in the waning minutes of the game.

But yes, Nowak still has a ways to go in terms of sub patterns.

13. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    If he's unhappy he was hiding it better than enyone else I know on Sunday. He seemed to have fun playing, practicing and talkin to us. But who knows, maybe poor kid was crying on the inside since people on message boards say so :)

[​IMG]

14. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    cos this board has more traffic than any other 2 combined.

15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Bigsoccer Forum Guidelines

You've violated the TOS by attributing a quote to Freddy Adu.

16. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    The quote is pretty funny if you imagine it in the voice of the guy in your avatar though. :)

17. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    After about page 2 of this insanity I was just looking for aartef's posts so I could read more into the mind of a tool.

Personally, I know Freddy isn't getting traded and that Lalas is spouting, which is good for MLS as is shown in this thread- 12 pages and counting. This bunk interests people, even if it is just a GM wishfully talking and getting his team some coverage.

18. aartef redded

aartef redded Red Card

Apr 25, 2005
    You sir are a genius

19. aartef redded

aartef redded Red Card

Apr 25, 2005
    Even if that were true (which it isnt) Super Lalas's opinion is worth 1 Million Metros fans.

20. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    But there aren't a million Metros fans, are there?

21. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think thats kind of the point..Lalas's opinion is the only one that matters.

BTW is there any team in MLS with 1 million fans?

22. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Lastort,

This is a post reprimand from the BSCU (BigSoccer Comedic Unit), this a warning that use of that "Dave Chappelle" avatar requires comedic posts of a certain quality. Since you have an excellent track record with the use of that avatar, this is only a Warning. Under normal circumstances, you would've been given a direct "Cease and Desist Order" with a requirement to surrender your avatar.

Thank you and have a good day.

23. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    You sir are a mouthbreathing idiot.

24. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    That's good beer, bitch!!!

[​IMG]

25. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, an expansion team that pulled in 20,000 to watch the Scum fold. And what's the average attendance at the Swamp?

Which brings me to revelation's point:
    ...and would you rather do it in front of an almost full, rocking, screaming RFK lower bowel or the very empty, deathly quiet toilet bowl in New Jersey? The fans....remember the fans.