NY Times::Stirring up the Adu pot re:trade to Scum

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by chayes, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Mimir19

Mimir19 Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Ivan Gazidis has said the Salary Cap is non-existent now.. There are guidelines.. But if a side wants to break the bank to pay for someone, they are now allowed to do it (Eg. Freddy and Landon)..

As of this season, the salary cap is a non-issue.

2. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    Here are some of the other insightful sports stories the NY Times must be working on:

Knicks Covet Duncan
    If There's a Season, Rangers Really Like Iginla
    USTA Trying to Convince Federer to Become an American

You read it here first.

3. aartef redded

aartef redded Red Card

Apr 25, 2005
    Great post- repped

4. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I hadn't heard that.

I must have been counting the number of times people didn't pass the ball to Freddy.

I hear Gerrard is on the market, and his acquisition would fit the definition of salary cap as mere guideline.

5. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Freddy signed a six-year deal, which means that he will still be under contract to MLS when he turns 18. Therefore, MLS will get money when he goes to Europe.

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't be serious

These guys can't get on the field for THE CREW

Szetela can't get on the field for U-20's with college players in front of him

I'd rather trade Moreno or Gomez than Adu. That's right. I know Adu will be better next year than he is this year. There is nothing wrong with Adu's play, he's just not as good as Gomez right now and playing 2 #10's doesn't work very well.

7. AB727

AB727 New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Maryland
    I can't imagine them trading anything of value for Adu. It's all just a public flogging of Nowak - saying they could do a better job. Yeah, right.

And I personally have no desire to cheer for Amado Guevara.

8. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say deny that MLS would be compensated. DCU's remuneration is something completely different.

9. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Oh, see I love to cheer for Guevara...to break a leg, lose his head, and generally suffer ill...

:)

10. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    DC gets a portion (10%??) of the transfer fee to use as an allocation

11. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The only way I'll cheer for Guevarra is if he gives his MVP trophy to it's rightful owner. :mad:

12. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guevara? Guevara?

You want that head case for the next 2or 3 season? I'm sure he'd love Nowak. And if you get Guevara you have the same problem that DCU has now...what do you do with Gomez? Or Moreno?

United's problem isn't Adu's ability, it is that you have 3 guys who play roughly the same position.

13. rtiemens

rtiemens Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Virginia
    Right on, and duly repped. It has been amazing to see that this year the NY Times have almost completely ignored the Metrostars. More than once I have noticed that even when the metro have had a game, the only soccer coverage in the NYT is of the European leagues. Now that Europe is over, the metro get some ink, but apparently only by means of gimmicks like this Adu non-story.

14. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    And if I recall correctly, there was speculation that Adu got a minimum transfer fee clause that would go into effect after the third year of the contract. So unless he really tanks from a potential standpoint - his transfer fee is already negotiated.

15. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's IF he wants to go to the team making an offer above the minimum (assuming that there is one in his contract), and if there is no bidding going on between more than one team. Remember, Freddy get's a cut of any transfer fee, so I high fee is in his interests.

16. aartef redded

aartef redded Red Card

Apr 25, 2005
    Well then let freddy play forward like on the U-17's

17. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Sure. But if a team pays a higher fee, they may change the wage demands. The way it frequently works out when there is a minimum fee clause is that the team whose contract he accepts pays the minimum fee and makes it up to the player by boosting his wages and giving him a signing on fee (from which his agent would get a cut depending on his arrangement with the player). That way, the team pays less transfer fees and less of the agent's fees.

There have been many recent examples of elite players leaving for much lower transfer fees out of a preference for making it up in wages and one-time payments (Harry Kewell, Michael Owen, etc). Granted contract expiration dates play a big role in determining the amount of the eventual transfer fee - but this phenomenon goes to show that even relatively loyal players don't seem too concerned about making sure the club they are leaving gets the highest possible transfer fee when they move.

The reason a player (and agent) want a minimum fee is as an out-clause - to guarantee that they can move to a higher level club when they want to. It is not generally regarded as a service to the current club, because the player usually believes that the amount of the minimum fee is going to be below his actual value at the time he anticipates it will be "activated".

18. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Um.....no. In the U-17s, that worked because U-17 defenders aren't the size of MLS defenders (except for the Sierra Leone guys). Whenever he has played as a forward he has been ineffective.

19. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    If Adu needs to play with less media attention, start choosing players from the KC roster you'd like here. Heck, we already know he likes the parties out there anyway, it's probably a done deal already.

Dallas would work too, but he's already told them to suck it once in his career and I don't see that changing now.

20. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh right, maximizing the fees and his salry is dependent on there being a bidding war, basically.

21. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    See Tim, I told you it was the former.

:)

22. aartef redded

aartef redded Red Card

Apr 25, 2005
    New team, new results

23. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    ??

Again Aartef, I think you must be joking. I watched all four of the U-17 games. I recall that Fred lined up in midfield for each of the games that he started. Only in the second half of the final game did he play as a forward (and perhaps for the final few minutes of another where he subbed in against Egypt). The problem with using the U-17s as an example for anything is that Fred pretty much did not shine at any position, so it sort of undermines the force of your argument. Unless you were joking, of course.

Tim

24. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999

So what is Fred's magic number? $10 Million?

Tim

25. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Same moronic post.