NY Times::Stirring up the Adu pot re:trade to Scum

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by chayes, Jul 4, 2005.

1. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Member

May 28, 2003
    And so now the New York Times makes its bid to be the Sun of America. I can't recall a article so devoid of actual fact in an American paper before- British "lets make it up" tablois yes, New York Times- well Jason Blair I guess (but at least he made up quotes that actually fit his stories).

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Mama Adu wields more power than Alexi Lalas.

3. aartef redded

aartef redded Red Card

Apr 25, 2005
    Nowak clearly doesnt buy into the Freddy hype, so he would possibly trade him for players like Ibrahim & a draft pick

4. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Lalas won it in 2002 with the Galaxy.

5. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lalas must figure he needs Adu to keep his team from blowing 2-0 leads to expansion teams.

6. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    You forgot the part about the man advantage.

Two men, if you count the fact that Fat Mathis was playing for the other team.

7. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Well, you're either dumb or joking.

Tim

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    The former.

9. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    I maintain that the Galaxy won that cup in spite of having Lalas.

10. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    1. It's good to get coverage and speculation about MLS in mainstream press. That said...

2. Arena said Freddy would be better served if he was less of a focus in the media. Schmid said Freddy would be better if there was less media coverage of Adu. Some of his teammates have talked about this and also agree that they think the media coverage is disruptive. Freddy has said it. This isn't just about "what is best for DCU?" or "will it disrupt the team this year?". This is about Adu's development. So Lalas doesn't help in that regard. In fact, he's arguing that Adu would be better off in the media capital of the United States.

3. I'm sure Bob Bradley just loved hearing his GM announce who would start for his team. Coaches really like it when GM's provide assistance like that.

4. This is the equivalent of talking trash or a fan dance by Lalas. Throw out some juicy speculation, maybe cause a few problems for DCU, get some press coverage. Nevermind that none of this is better off for Adu. Or is realistic and honest about the Metros (unless Lalas is going to determine who starts and who doesn't).

11. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Can we please ban aartef and onionsack from the DC boards - hell, one of the two of them is probably Jack Bell

12. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    What's wrong with onionsack? Other than being a Metrofan, I mean.

Sachin

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Don't worry, any compensation for trading Adu to the Metro will involve getting Dallas' #1 pick and GAM.

Sachin

14. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Come on - our "next big youth international" players that have gone from the low lights of DC United to the highlights of the Metrodonkeys have really stepped it up that extra notch and gone on to be world beaters. I mean look at Zadie (sp?), he's now a stallwart for the World Cup bound Jamaica - Bruce really missed the boat there in capping him first - and of course, who could forget Lisi, who anchors the US national team like no one else has ever done...

:rolleyes:

Sure, Adu wants to go to Jersey so that he can play a lot and really learn how to take defeat...

15. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    I agree. This is tampering. Metrostar management should not be commenting on another team's player. The NFL forbids this type of stuff. So should MLS.

16. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't agree more. Actually, another deal that might interest me would be Adu for Knox Cameron and/or Danny Szetela of the Crew if Columbus is foolish enough to make that trade.

17. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jack Bell wishes he had my insight.

Its a simple little piece, nothing concreate except a few sound bites. Every GM in MLS would say the same thing about Adu if asked...well those not afraid to go on the record anyway.

Laslas never said he would bench Guevara or Youri.....you all know my thoughts on this anyway if you have been reading the threads on the subject latley.

Its good to have a little stirring of the pot every now and then for our league.

18. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    He said there would be plenty of playing time for Adu. Therefore, one of them would have to sit. He certainly isn't going to bench his darling little boy.

19. aartef redded

aartef redded Red Card

Apr 25, 2005
    Dude, we need all the pub we can get

20. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the comment simply as "I realize you want more time and am going to play that angle to entice you to think about the possibility" more than "i am willing to bench my guys if you come here."

He couldn't play Guevara's position, he would have far too many holding and 2-way responsibilities. Playing him there would be even worse that playing him in the spot he was in Saturady for DC.

I think he would share time with Youri. Youri isn't a 90 minute player and he does miss games here and there with minor dings. Plus its the ideal position on the field for him...a withdrawn forward/attacking midfield hybrid.

21. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the same 20-30 minutes a game he gets here when Gomez gets tired.

The problem is, United and the Metros have better players at his one position. Most of MLS does.

22. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Rep!

23. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Even if they were willing to trade Guevara for Adu I don't think we have the cap space for him and do we have room for an SI? Remember Freddy's salary doesn't count against the cap, unless that has changed from the previous situation.

24. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    There is a way to make it happen.

We expect to be paying the full max salary to Fred all of next season. Therefore, beyond this year, the trade would be a straight-up swap of max salaries. Then the question is how can DC take 1/2 of a full salary for this season? Remember, in MLS what you are looking at is a full year's pay, not an instantaneous snap shot of annual salaries. When you look at the full season we definitely have some cap space, otherwise we would not be looking to sign the young Argentine. Then it is a question of what we can get from Metros for $. I doubt that we could trade them Adu straight up for Guevara+$, but perhaps we could arrange a Adu+picks for Guevara+$ deal and then forego signing the Argie. I think that would be a great deal, if Namoff recovers. Otherwise, not such a good trade because of the lack of defensive cover.

note: as much as I love Fred and the Adu family and wish all the best for Fred in every endeavor in his long life and hopefully brilliant career, this is business. Guevara is just too good an opportunity to pass up. I really hope that Lalas is as dumb as he sounds (I doubt he is), but man would this be a great deal. Plus, then NY would have all the dumbass teenagers and we could go back to being DC United again, not "that team that FreddEEE plays on and that hates him because they're not blindly patriotic to the FreddEEE nation."

Cheers,
    Tim

25. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps I missed this point in another post but here goes:

Lalas' job is not only to win games but put butts in the seats. DCU doesn't need Freddy, either on the the field or at the box office. As a DC fan and someone who would like to see MLS and Adu do well, why is this such a bad thing? Adu is gone in a few years, DC will get bubkus when he flies the coop. Unfourtunately Gaven will be gone before Freddy so DC couldn't really trade for him.

Galvan Rey anyone? :)