NY Red Bulls vs Seattle at Red Bull Arena Sat-March 19-7:30PM 2011 MLS Season Opener Game Thread [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by ag nigrin, Mar 7, 2011.

1. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: NY Red Bulls vs Seattle at Red Bull Arena Sat-March 19-7:30PM 2011 MLS Season Opener Game Thread

HELL YEAH!!!
    That was f%&kin amazing!

Who needs Angel anyways?

I think Agu's gonna have a good year.

2. odsum5387

odsum5387 Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: NY Red Bulls vs Seattle at Red Bull Arena Sat-March 19-7:30PM 2011 MLS Season Opener Game Thread

Yeah, but it was a long ball delivered with great precision.

3. Mibabalou

Mibabalou Member

Dec 7, 2009
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3 mins of stoppage time.

4. Mibabalou

Mibabalou Member

Dec 7, 2009
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That was pretty damn lucky.

5. Mibabalou

Mibabalou Member

Dec 7, 2009
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good guys win

1-0.

6. odsum5387

odsum5387 Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sutton was really good tonight. Can't see Bouna jumping back in anytime soon.

7. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Solid game, well deserved win and we played well enough but know the team can play even better which is good. Always nice to start with first win

8. Den1412

Den1412 Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

tainio is been fantastic in my opinion!!! he was so confident in the middle of the park!!!

9. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great win to start the season. Seattle had a tough task playing LA and then flying across the country to play us on a short week but they played really well. They deserve credit. A few lucky bounces here and there and they can be 2-0. But this was a solid win over a good team.

Solli acquitted himself well at the right back position. Miller was good too. Sutton was solid back there. Did what he had to do. Made a couple of huge saves on Montero. Could've been better defensively but it was a solid all around effort.

Tainio was fantastic and played great balls all around the field. Ballouchy surprised me as he was not putrid. The possession was great and they dictated the pace of the game pretty much the whole game. You could tell which team was in control.

The major problem was that with all that possession, few attacks resulted in a look at goal. So many set pieces and so much possession but nothing to show for it. That let Seattle hang around and make this game closer than it should have been.

The flip side of that is if Henry slots away that penalty, or in another game that early pressure results in a goal, the other team will be forced to chase the game, opening up more room for Henry, Richards, and Agudelo. That kind of early pressure could be huge for us if that can be maintained in a majority of the games.

Overall, good win and something to build on. At Columbus is going to be tough next week with many players out but they aren't looking so hot themselves.

10. badideas

badideas Member

Dec 22, 2010

The brief glimpses of Tainio during the preseason had me lukewarm, but wow, tonight nearly every touch/decision/pass was perfect. He is clearly more at home in the deep midfield than at right back.

Also, lol @ the MSG announcers for immediately turning on Henry 'cause there were no goals after the half. If no one is creating chances (*cough* "attacking midfielder" Mehdi Ballouchy) he can't really finish them, can he?

Agudelo continues to show consistency and class in the face of the "let's not get too hyped just yet" crowd. Hope he gets some time against Messi & co.

I agree that there were far few chances for the amount of possession we had--though Seattle did play pretty well defensively, and Keller was his old shot-stopping self. If Tainio continues the work, and has won that role from Tchani, that still leaves us the problem with who plays at the top of the diamond, seeing that Ballouchy's touch/decisions are still questionable.

Maybe Lindpere could move to the center, and Solli could play in his "normal" winger role, bringing Mendes/Borman in defense? I suspect we'll see a lineup like that in a future match.

11. foolovsky

foolovsky Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you'll see (and did see in this game) Henry become an attacking mid or withdrawn striker. We really lack offensive oomph right now.

12. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA

Spot on assessment! I like the passing game and the new players. The Bulls really looked cohesive. Just need more punch up top... Maybe Rogers delivers that... Some bad news...Henry tweaked his hammy:

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/redbulls2.php?article_id=26762

13. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
  14. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
  15. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
  16. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA

It was damn cold last night and I must give praise to all the wives (mine included... hear that IZ!) and girlfriends who braved the bitter conditions at last night's game!

17. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh God.... Here we go, the wild ride that is the MLS season begins for the Red Bulls.

Once they take a look at that injury i would imagine it's going to mean anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks, plus even when he gets better it's the type of injury that tends to recur or linger.... This is the risk with older players and I understand that--but still getting injured in the 1st game of the season is only slightly better than getting injured in preseason!!

18. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah it was weird to see all the coaches wearing MLS branded coats in the sidelines. I noticed all the players without exception were wearing long sleeves. Keep in mind this is March and it is still this cold---imagine how crazy cold it would be if we were playing in Dec., Jan, Feb.....

19. WashingtonDiplomat

Jun 28, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY

Here here! My girlfriend is from the Dominican Republic and can barely stay in the stands for my hockey games at Chelsea Piers. She earned her stripes, my gratitude, and a $30 fleece at half-time for her efforts last night.

As for the game lkfg09 said it best. Loved what I saw except for the lack of finishing.

20. BlackGold

BlackGold New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Indianapolis

Where is John Rooney?

21. Tom845

Tom845 Member

Jan 25, 2011
    New Windsor, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Amen. My gf was freezing by the start of the 2nd half. Luckily, I won the seat upgrade from Soy Kitchen and was upgraded from section 224, row 19 to section 105, row 8 with club privileges. She was able to warm up inside every once in a while... lol. And yeah, imagine playing these games in January... ridiculous! This is not the NFL!

22. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

Good question and how about Marco Polo I will preffer see Chinn and Garcia in the reserve games than this two Internationals for that games we don't need Europeans or South Americans....

23. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ

Even worse: Imagine playing these games in January . . . in Montreal!

24. jcr3

jcr3 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would like to praise a much maligned player. I thought Roy Miller played quite well (at least offensively). He passed quite well showing excellent foot skills and created havoc for Seattle often penetrating deep down the left side and created numerous chances that were never converted by the team for goals.

I hope this is more of what we will see going forward.

25. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I appreciate the offensive part of Miller's game. He's pretty good at making overlapping runs, etc. However, even as an attacking defender, he is still a defender, and that part of his game hurts us more often than it should. If Ream wasn't over there mopping up his messes, Miller would go from troublesome to downright disastrous. So, while I agree with your assessment of his scrappy offense, I would like to see him shore up his defensive skills and positioning, even at the cost of his attacking moves.