NY Red Bulls vs Seattle at Red Bull Arena Sat-March 19-7:30PM 2011 MLS Season Opener Game Thread [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by ag nigrin, Mar 7, 2011.

1. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Re: NY Red Bulls vs Seattle at Red Bull Arena Sat-March 19-7:30PM 2011 MLS Season Opener Game Thread

One thing I've really noticed about the MLS recently is that CB's who can play the ball out of the back are very, very rare. And I'm not talking about playing brilliant long balls or through balls, most CB's in this league are afraid to even play simple balls out to the midfielders. Every single time the ball went to Parke for Seattle last night he gave it straight back to LA by booting it away, we're lucky to have Ream and Marquez who can seamlessly fit in with the team's possession game.

2. komba

komba Member

May 28, 2009
    Re: NY Red Bulls vs Seattle at Red Bull Arena Sat-March 19-7:30PM 2011 MLS Season Opener Game Thread

Agree... They aren't even that confident passing it out to the outside defenders.

We have two of the best central defenders in Ream and Marquez as far as passing goes.

The games are physical as hell though. Gotta hope our players, especially Henry and Marquez, can deal with the extreme physicality sometimes.

3. Backe to the top

Mar 8, 2010
    Nottingham
    Club:
    Everton FC

Richards will be up top and I think he will do ok. Sutton in goal for me. Would love to see Tainio in centre mid but can't see it happening.

4. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

I like Tchani at holding mid, Tainio fits in nicely at RB

5. komba

komba Member

May 28, 2009

Agreed... And early last year, I don't think I'd ever have this opinion.

But Tainio also played that last game at holding mid, and I found myself wishing for Tchani. Tchani is strong as hell on the ball, and in the physical MLS, that is valuable. Not only that, but most of his passes are solid. Especially lately. And he's not clueless offensively either.

Tainio at RB is good, and I'd like to see Solli at LM or CAM.

6. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Tchani is going to be the Yaya Toure of the MLS by the end of this year, mark my words :D He is big and knows how to use his size to not only make tackles, but protect the ball when he has it. And like you said his passing is improving steadily and is more than enough to distribute from the holding mid position.

7. Backe to the top

Mar 8, 2010
    Nottingham
    Club:
    Everton FC

Hope you are right but can't see it myself. He's big and physical but he needs to learn to pass forwards not sideways and backwards all the time.

8. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

He goes forward more than people give him credit for, he played a few pretty brilliant through balls this preseason. And really its supposed to be Lindpere Solli and Dane's job to get the ball forward, all Tchani needs to be is a reliable link between the defense and midfield/strikers.

9. archex

archex New Member

Jul 4, 2010

is agudelo going to play?

10. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Based on everything that Backe has been saying, it seems like Agudelo is fit enough to go the full 90.

11. Linus Tulagi

Linus Tulagi Member

Jan 5, 2006
    St. Paul, Mn
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agudelo was called to the US national team, so he must be pretty fit. They will play Mar 26 and 29 in NY and Nashville, respectively.

12. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, where has the year gone..

It seems like yesterday I was watching the red bulls after a long day of school/practice/work

13. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Getting a win here would be extremely nice seeing as though we will be missing 6 players for the next game against Columbus.

14. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

That is fantastic, like that we will have a chance to see what our team is making of, and the kids chance to show what are they capable to provide to the club....

15. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Agree with metz on this one, its nice to have a showcase of our team's depth so early in the season, hopefully our B+ squad can perform a bit better than our C squad during the preseason.

16. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Have to second your opinion about the Red Bull marketing department. I play for a charity league in manhattan and mentioned last season to my team that playoff tickets were $20 each. Their first response was "NY has a pro soccer team?" Their second response was "$20 for a pro soccer game? I'm in!"

I organized about 15 tickets for that game. Red Bull owe me a chicken dinner or something. All I had to do was mention the game and the tickets were practically selling themselves.

17. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly, so many people are unaware about the team and/or how affordable it is. Throughout season brought 10 different friends and now they are all going to the opener. Just a half-as*ed campaign would do wonders for the club especially for the dog days of the summer where there is only baseball

18. Somas of Columbus

Somas of Columbus New Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Hi Guys, I didn't see another thread to discuss this however I am planning on going to this game with a group of up to 10 people. Do you think I should purchase tickets ahead of this game or we can all walk up and find seating together?

BTW...long time Arsenal fan, I can't wait to see TH14 again.

19. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With a big group just to be safe I would buy in advance so you guys can all sit together if you can confirm how many are going. Finding 10 seats together is tough

20. Flapster

Flapster New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Especially as it's the opening game.

21. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA

20K have been sold already so that leaves 5K. I would buy ahead of time to be safe!

22. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA

Weather will be nice and crisp for the opener... A few morning showers then clearing. Highs in the low 50s and lows in the mid 30s.

23. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Will make for a slick and fast pitch. Seattle coming off a midweek game with all that travel...I think they are going to have problems given these conditions with guys like Richards and Lindpere who will run them into the ground.

As long as we don't give one up early and allow them to settle into a bunker I think the game is ours.

Oh...and they can stick their f#cking Starbucks up their a$$. :D

24. jcr3

jcr3 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You would think this news would spread faster. Last year, I introduced a friend and his son and now he has 2 season tickets. Last year, I introduced another friend by taking him to the game against Tottenham and then one with him and his daughter and this year he is going 4 games with me with this daughter and others by himself and another is now taking me up on 5 games instead of 4 plus others so I do believe we are making progress although it is still dumbfounding that the opener is not sold out although we are already at 20K so we should be at least at 21K by Saturday.

25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

so basically, the same as for the Chicago game last season.