NY Red Bulls vs Chicago Fire at GS - Sat, September 1 at 7:30 [R] Pre, During and Post-Game Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by ag nigrin, Aug 26, 2007.

1. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Re: NY Red Bulls vs Chicago Fire at GS - Sat, September 1 at 7:30 [R] Pre, During and Post-Game Thre

Jozy's been carrying an injury since U20, didn't practice much this week, held out tonight

2. soccerfreak9210

Mar 19, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: NY Red Bulls vs Chicago Fire at GS - Sat, September 1 at 7:30 [R] Pre, During and Post-Game Thre

as does magee...

3. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York

attendance: 13,219
    weather: Clear -and- 76 degrees

4. SAMBA

SAMBA Member

Sep 3, 2004
    New Jersey

.. Magee is an interesting player. At one point in his young career I felt he deserved a call-up. Arena being Arena would never have allowed it.

He is still young enough to make it happen but for the life of me he is a mystery. I can not put my finger on what he needs to do better and consistently.

Oh well, maybe I haven been watching enough of him to know anymore...

5. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ

Maybe it's him playing out of position. I think his natural position is as a forward. I'd like to see him be developed into the creative midfielder role. He is very creative and if Mathis would take him under his wing, I think Magee might be able to be better than Mathis (as Mathis is now, not circa 2002).

6. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Elsewhere...HOU 1-1 KC FT.

NY opens a three point lead on KC for third place in the East. NY is now nine clear of Columbus before their game tomorrow. Our magic number for the playoffs (I think) is 16 points.

7. SAMBA

SAMBA Member

Sep 3, 2004
    New Jersey

Maybe, good point. He does have the raw potential to develop into (if nothing else) getting a call-up in his career at some point.

He will always be a good guy to me, remembering he was one of the player’s that gave a big fat NO, when approached and asked to play during the "strike".

8. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York

unless I misunderstand MLS' latest playoff set-up -- third place in the conference isn't really relevant -- the tv crew constantly referred to conference rivals tonight, but, isn't that obsolete (unless you're at the top)?

a better way to look at it (I assume):

single table

9. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

What is with people trying to find brand new ways to mention single table in every thread? God.

10. sublicon

sublicon Member

RBNY, Fulham FC
    United States
    May 28, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let the lovefest begin, punks. All the players you thought were washed up, garbage, would never recover, had a solid f**king game. Even the Walrus!!

I can't wait to see what Doe can do when he's let loose for 90 minutes, the kid has excellent pace, touch, and instinct. I think our JPP has returned to us . . except he's from Liberia and has no Ronaldinho fetish that we know of . . yet.

11. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York

but, hasn't MLS accepted a single table for playoff spots?

with a twist -- top two in each conference automtically qualify

12. soccerfreak9210

Mar 19, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

agree 100%

13. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We could have played a bit crisper. I think our wing played looked weak but I think Doe could help fix that he really helped us in that final third tonight. VDB stay at left back please he fits there more than on the wing. One thing I'd like to see is Reyna have a few more cracks when he can he had a few he could have taken it never hurts.

Props to the boys in 101 it sucked to not make the game but nice voice, no wipeout for almost a month now :mad:!!!!

14. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

101 Did sound great tonight...I hope I can make it to the Revs game.

15. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, and props to the ESC for the post-game rally with RBN by the South Tower, we should do it more often...:D

16. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No the top two from each conference automatically qualify. After that it is the next best four. The kicker is if you are the fifth team from your conference and you are better than the third team in the other conference you get moved over to the other conference, but you get seeded 4th in that conference playoff seeding.

17. Alonso#13

Alonso#13 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    New York City

Vide played an awesome game. I dont see why Arena insisted on keeping Angel on the left. As i watch VDB more and more it seems that he is not cut out to play left wing he doesnt really have the pace or ball control, Dane Richards is great although he needs to cross the ball earlier. Favorite part of the match was when Blanco went down in the penalty area and slammed his fist in rage after not getting the call.

18. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC

No.

Every home win features a march out/rally at gate D.

19. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That was among the more boring games I have seen this year.

But I'll take the three points.

I'm not sold on Doe - he reminds me a bit of Richards in that he seems fast (and in Doe's case strong), but doesn't know what to do with the ball all the time. Hopefully he will improve on that

glad to see Watterus and Reyna not sucking

20. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Really? Looks like until tonight we were missing you guys on our way to the Bull's Eye, we'll have to catch you guys next time.

21. st ryma 7

st ryma 7 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    the south bay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

arena had called him up a few years ago right before the world cup to the december camp that was affected by the hold-out

22. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

also, if not already mentioned, Richards is out with yellow card accumulation next game against Chivas.

Pity considering this was his best game in a long time. He was crossing the ball more and they didn't look nearly as Hejdukesque as usual

23. RedBulls225

RedBulls225 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

My friends and I wanted to go, but the plans got messed up... Sorry for not being there w/ u guys.
    Anyways, the ESC looked tiny on TV. It looked like there were like 10 people in it. And then they had a shot later in the game while you were doing the wipe-out and you guys looked pretty big and great.:confused:

24. RedBulls225

RedBulls225 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Really? I thought this was one of his poorer games. He was making a ton of turnovers and bad plays (except for the assist to Angel).

25. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia

Some thoughts:

• This was a tough game to watch, but it was because Chicago was content to come out with a 0-0 tie. I was starting to fall asleep before the lone goal.

• Mendes- Clearly in the doghouse for some reason. Even though VDB has started at left fullback before, that doesn't say much about what Arena thinks about Mendes.

• Woly- Innefective since the time Angel started scoring again.

• Reyna- More involved in the attack than in most games.

• Waterreus- Never was tested.