NY Post: Petke's tactics lead to success

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by tigersoccer2005, Nov 7, 2014.

1. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://nypost.com/2014/11/06/the-adjustment-that-rescued-the-red-bulls-season/

I have seen Petke get praise as a motivator and as a coach that understands his players, but I think this is the first time I've seen the man get some luv from the NY media for his coaching tactics and strategy. Good for him!! :thumbsup: I wonder if Petke is still on the hotseat as far as the organization is concerned?

Woodrow repped this.
  2. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Very telling.

3. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hence Cahill's valid complaint that he was not getting enough starting minutes. Must be tough going from being an important part of the puzzle to being relief coming on in the second half from the bench--for no reason other than being the odd man out in a new formation. But that's the way the cookie crumbles....:oops:

4. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I for one believe performance should dictate appearances. OTOH, Cahill does have a case for being played out of position. When appearing as a withdrawn striker he is more productive than as a holding midfielder. While Cahill does have the willingness to run through a brick wall, he lacks the positional discipline and passing ability to fill the role Alexander plays so well. He is at his best when pressing high and getting on the end of crosses. Anything else is a waste of time.

5. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does yesterday bring more Petke tactical love or did the Bulls advance despite Petke's decisions yesterday?

6. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    A lot of coaches would have tightened it up and played a defensive, hard-nosed game at the start. But the Red Bulls just aren't built that way. They take a lot of risks in possession and it pays off with goals. I think the fact that they were still playing fast and loose in this game is largely due to their belief that they would score a goal at some point and that meant DC needed four. It was a high-risk, high-reward strategy that paid off for them. Was it the smartest strategy? Probably not. They could at least have been better taking care of the ball and sprayed it around more to start, really made DC chase the game. NY didn't need to score, but they were still trying. I'm sure a couple years from now, Petke will probably have a team much more crafted to be able to shut a team down in a game like this. But, the team and tactics in this game was the one that had largely been responsible for the recent winning streak. In just wasn't in the cards to try changing things up at this late juncture.

7. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing an opponent who is facing certain death is the hardest thing in the world. Yes, the defensive performance wasn't the greatest away to DC, but lets remember that they finished FIRST in the east. It took a red card and injury time for DC to rack up 2 goals and even if they had managed a third we STILL would have won the series. That's a pretty damn good result for NY.

What I thought was the problem in that game was tracking runners into our 18. We're at our best defensively when teams can't play the ball through the middle past Dax and Alexander and for the most part we succeeded in this. We invited DC to cross the ball into the box all day, which they did and credit to them they scored 2. However, without anything coming up the middle they were never going to get more than 2 goals. So for me the tactics were correct. If communication and tracking is better from Dax, Alexander, Olave, and Sekagya those 2 goals don't even happen. So for me that's on the players for blowing their assignments.

8. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cahill wins almost every ball in the box on opposition CKs. Waste of time?? he wins every 50/50 ball in the midfield. You are understating what Tim brings to this team..toughness and ball winning even played put of position.

9. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #9 Woodrow, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    What does winning balls in the box have to do with being a CDM?

He can't win balls if he's out of position and it does little good when he does if he can't connect on enough passes. One of the biggest jobs for those two players in the middle is building possession. Win the ball? Yes. But also do something positive with it. Far too many times I've seen him send speculative balls forward that don't connect. If his only job was to be a stay at home destroyer, he might be okay, but we all know how much Tim likes to get forward. That would routinely take him too far upfield to perform his job. Players get behind him when he's wandering into attack. What makes Alex and Dax so good is they are very disciplined about their attacking forays, knowing when to pull up the run. But, take his same skill set and put Cahill in the attacking third, let him press high, challenge for headers and I have no problem with the way he plays. He's a bit of a wild man, but up front he can take risks and the team isn't punished.

10. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If Petke is intent on keeping the current formation going into next season, then I think it would be mutually beneficial for Cahill and the Red Bulls to part ways. He's not as good as BWP at striker, not as good as Peguy at CAM, and not as good as Dax and Alexander at CDM... He's also clearly not happy being played in a deep role, its no wonder he's so eager to play with the Australian team, who puts him right next to goal and looks to feed him crosses every play.

I like Cahill as a person and a player, but at some point you have to ask if you're really getting enough value out of your DP. Is it really worth paying someone $3.5M a year to clear out opposing set pieces and fight hard in the midfield? Two goals and two assists in 23 games are really rough numbers to swallow, no matter how well he's doing all the other little things. And I'd argue that he didn't do the little things nearly as well in 2014 as he did in 2013 either. He often looked tired, probably because of the constant international travel.

If they could get a transfer fee from an A-League team, they should take it.

Woodrow repped this.
  11. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2013's end made Cahill look like an irreplaceable commodity. Now he looks like a bit of an after thought… he proves his worth some times but not enough.

This line of thinking is a little bit "what have you done for me lately", which is a bit dangerous in a vacuum especially for a player with as much value on paper as Cahill.

But the red bulls are ready to move on from being a star power driven team on all fronts. they might well spend big again, but it'd probably have to be unquestionably worth it. With that, not being a game breaking asset of late despite his high price tag might make letting him go in some capacity to be too much to pass up.

Moving Cahill for a transfer fee makes a lot of sense for this team, he's had a good world cup run he's still got great value, more than the near retired Henry does. that can go towards other parts of the team more efficiently and fits the franchises overall new direction. ugh, I hate to say it but I kind of want to see that happen now. :confused:

12. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The great thing about the playoffs is that one good night can make up for an entire season.

Tonight is his chance.

13. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I read this, guess who scores?;)

kokoplus10 repped this.