NY/NJ Pre/Post match discussion (R)

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by PZ, Aug 29, 2002.

1. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    tied on points with the cupcakes. 3 goals behind in goal difference, ... cupcakes +11, galaxy +8... dallas could take pole position with a win tomorrow (40 points, +4 gd)

three games remain.

la
    --------------------
    away to chicago
    home to san jose
    away to san jose

tinkerbells
    ----------------------
    home to columbus
    away to la
    home to la

dallas
    ----------------------
    away to colorado
    home to metros (2 days after the USOC semi though)
    home to new england
    away to dc

i bet it comes down to the last game.

2. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    REVENGE IS SOOOOOO SWEET!!!!!!!!

Just finished watching our 3-0 destruction of the MetroTurds on ESPN2.

SOLID performance by the team, especially coming off such a disappointment last week at Dallas.

Ruiz was INCREDIBLE, but so were Cobi, Elliott, Hartman & Sasha.

The only negative was that Califf got a yellow & will miss the Chicagoon game.

One sidenote: What was the deal with the white jerseys?? Guess it was some sort of psychological ploy. It worked!!

Way to go, G-men!!

3. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game, great win. i watched it on tv this was the best televised gaem i have seen. The night atmosphere, the stadium looked verry nice and didnt look empty. Mayve they should start doing night games instead. The game was also exiting, with a scuffle and all. Great showing by ESPN2

4. kyledane

kyledane Member

Jan 28, 2000
    Near San Francisco
    One of my rare opportunities to see the team this year - it was a good one.

I've been hearing about lackluster play from our midfield from my friends down there. Well, they looked pretty good tonight. Strings of several touches in a row from defense to dangerous attack were the norm. Vagenas was excellent, disturbing the Metro attack and starting ours. Cienfuegos moved around like a younger man. Elliott was dangerous and picked his spots well. Cobi was a menace.

And what more can you say about Ruiz? He's officially taken over as the best forward the Galaxy have ever had.

Oh, and again, Sigi has his team playing its best soccer heading into crunch time. We'll compete for two trophies once again this year.

Here's one prediction: come next spring, fans on Galaxy boards will have forgotten Sigi's annual pattern of playing not particularly attractive but decent ball in the spring and playing championship caliber soccer from July through October, and the "Fire Sigi" threads will roll around for the third straight year. I'm trying to come up with a simple, canned response so I don't waste my time arguing with such drivel ever again.

5. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I had a great time at the match last night heckling Clint Mathis. But apparently i'm an ********************* and no one around me likes when I yell, at least thats what the yuppy trash in front of me thought it neccesary to comment to one another all night, screw them; oh yeah I hope you like newspaper in your tacos bitch.

Ruiz, well there's not much more anyone can say about it, I hope we can hang on to him for another year at least. Any rumours on big euro clubs who plan on buying him and making him rot?

Anyway, great crowd, riot squad was amazing. Was that a section of Korean fans behind you guys with the Red Korean Team Fighting shirts?

Thats the best game I think we've played all year, bar none, everyone looked dangerous, and we had space out the wazoo to move and run into.

I didn't like how many give aways we had (one noteable to alexi, and Vagenas had quite a few, but still played a great game), and it started to look alot like last year when Vanney and the boys decided it neccesary to pass the ball at the back under heavy pressure instead of just kicking the crap out of it. Scared me a few times.

Well to go along with my screaming at mathis the whole night, I thought he was horribly in effective, did a good job of running in circles, sending amazing passes to no one or nowhere, yelling at his teammates and referees.

Cobi is the most antognizistic player in MLS, and he actually seems to enjoy it, even laughing after the horror tackle by Ziade (I cought it on the espn reply when I got home, it looked pretty bad). Ziade is a jerk anyway, about 55 minutes in, he and cobi jostled, they moved away, then Ziade decides he wants to act like he got an elbow, when the reply showed nothing happened; nice.

Jolley is a hack.

Petke is hardly worth even commenting on, the bytes would be better off spent on something important, like what color my poop was this morning.

Akwiri did ok I guess, got burned quite a few times by cobi, and ezra had a few nice runs at him. For being young he was composed on the ball, moved up fairly well, good prospect for the future i'd say.

I cought one of those Tide tshirts they threw out at half time, stupid things are children's large....hrm, not much I can do with that.

We catch San Juan de Landon at the top of the table, with both teams in totally opposite momentum, I like our chances of finishing ahead of them, although with Dallas fairly week schedule left, they may win the division. Either way I'd love to see their 10+ point lead have evaporated and see them end up in 4th place overall (east leader, Us and Dallas ahead).

With their ineptitude on the road, they NEED the top seed to advance.

Looking forward to the Dallas Open Cup game.

6. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are right Profiled, Cleatus diserves the "Arena thinks you're fat" comments. Yeah, he was with LA but hhe didn't give a toss when he left.

There were about 500 koreans behind the RS last night. Looked like their local head cheerleaders and a bunch of family's. Cool to have them there to make noice but those noise things they have are annoying as heck!!! Oh well.

Fish's hat trick was cool but what the heck was he doing the rest of the match? I lost count of the number of poor dives he took and how many times he was offside.

What the heck has gotten into Cobi? He was everywhere last night. He's been a totally different player since returning from korea.

Also looking good last night was Sasha. Thought he had one of his best matches in a long time. Danny also did a great job of shutting down the mommy until mommy was injured. (anyone feel bad for Diallo when he got hurt?)

Actually, it was kinda fun watching NY selfdistruct like they did. Too bad LA didn't take advantage and go at them especally when NY lost a man. LA just seemed to sit back. Thought this was a big mistake.

Good performance especally by the midfield, but we should have done so much more.

7. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    remember cobi's other really great year for us... 1998 :) admitadely he was good all year long and not just post france.

and kyle i think you're right on. sigi get's his teams to perform when the time is right. i'd love to watch a whole season of pretty football and trophies at the end, but i'd much prefer 3/4 workman like football with 1/4 of dominating footie + trophies.

i think we're actually on track for a treble again this year. mls cup, open cup and the supporters shield.

8. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big factor: a full week off. That goes a long way to explaining the high energy level.

BTW: While Dallas has easier opposition than LAG for the rest of the season, they have a brutal patch coming up right now. Games Sunday, Tues (open cup) and Thursday! 3 games in 5 days?

9. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I hope it was sigi's orders to make them take it slow, as we have a game on tuesday, and another next week away to chicago.

10. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    // big win //

Was an impressive performance from the Lads last night. was there section 4. row 3

was funny i was sitting right next to soccer mom, with her 4 kids. for the first 20 minutes she craned her neck to the left in front of me... and quipped " why are they standing? " " do they do that all game long? " " Gawd!! ... if i was sitting behind them i would call somebody to tell them to sit down."

the funniest moment is when her 10 year old son looked over and said he wanted to stand with the riot squad and do what they were doing.... her reply was " NO Josh !!.. you cant go over there "

Once again proving that White Soccer Mom is the true satan.

11. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TequilaJoal, that was funny stuff!

12. Fulhamfan

Fulhamfan New Member

Oct 17, 1999
    Valley
    Try a modified version of this - which was in yesterdays Pan Galactic View

Linda

West Bromwich Albion 1 Fulham 0 - pah!

13. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    One of the prettiest goals I have seen this year was Cobi's one-time chip to Sasha's head, who put a no-look flick on to Ruiz's foot, who put a one-time blast into the upper V.

Great goal, and a good win.

14. kyledane

kyledane Member

Jan 28, 2000
    Near San Francisco
    Re: // big win //

Yes, I've seen and heard her many times before in many guises. But hold your head up high folks, because the antidote to White Soccer Mom has already been born in her own actions. The more vehemently she says "No!" the more determined her kid is to say "Yes!"

15. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you see Clint and Momadou get into it at about the 10 to 15 minute mark? I was sorry to see Diallo hurt because by the 55 minute mark those two would have staged a full scale brawl.

When I see OZ with that hang-dog look, I immediately think: Dead man walking.

16. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: // big win //

Does this mean if IGGy begets children and pushes them too hard to cheer, they will rebel and act like white soccer moms?

17. Galaxy64

Galaxy64 Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great night!! I was there at section 23 and man it was a great atmosphere. Left my house at 5:00 pm and I missed both goals. It took forever to get parking. I took like 6 people with me. I could have sworn that it looked like 25,000 fans in the seat. anybody know the actual #?

18. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    Per MLSnet.com, attendance was 19,854.

19. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

Dead man not walking fast enough for most Metro fans :). Just wondering here, but did any of you at the game see anything happen between Tim Howard and one of the ball kids? Some teeny-bopper DC fan from LA is claiming Howard assaulted a ball kid, grabbing the kids shirt and then shoving him. I'm assuming it's all a load of crap (Howard has never done anything remotely aggressive towards another player, not to mention a fan), but I just wanted to check and make sure. Thanks.

JMac

20. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not see anything. I did hear a fan call in on the post game radio show (local) and describe something like you mention. This is not verification (by me) but at least someone other than the kid involved says that there was some interaction between Howard and a Snickers Ball Person. Sorry I can't give any details.

21. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I heard the same on the radio call in show, I meant to post something about it, but forgot, so again if it is lie, it got propigated pretty quickly after the fact.

22. Fulhamfan

Fulhamfan New Member

Oct 17, 1999
    Valley
    It certainly did look as though something did happen during the game involving Howard and a ball kid.

I was watching from section 18 when Howard started in on on someone behind the south end goal when they were down by two, screaming at someone because a ball wasn't given to him quick enough.

Linda

23. quarterUltra

quarterUltra Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Stillwater, OK
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we all know the Metro's are Scum.

GO LA! Win the Supporters Shield!

See you at the Cup

24. solrac9

solrac9 New Member

Oct 26, 2000
    Alhambra,CA
    great match...
    boy, new jersey just fell apart...
    I did not see it but someone in the SQUAD pointed and yelled, "look, Howard is pushing a ball kid around."
    It was later verified by a friend of mine sitting closer to the action...
    what a wanker............

25. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my first match in l.a. this year. besides the obvious kudos to Ruiz, Cobi (very near MOTM IMHO) & Co., an even bigger thumbs up to the Riot Squad, who bring a lot to the atmosphere at the RB. They really made themselves known & felt. The Galaxians' drum was heard as well, as well as the drums coming from the GA section. It all added up to a much improved atmosphere at the RB!!