PBP: NWSL Week 4 Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Semblance17, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Watching the Chicago game....snow falling.

Huerta is playing on the left side. That's the first time I've seen that. Maybe the theory is that Chicago puts its best player (on the field) against Houston's best player, Daly. Huerta's doing fine. Chicago should go down her side more often.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much do these refs get paid to not card Horan for the most blatant fouls?

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've just watched the goals from POR-WAS. I guess Washington's one actually had to be disallowed: I normally like a lot Ordega as a player, but it seems to me that she stealthily elbowed GK's chest in that CK-action, actually preventing her from catching the ball. No harm done in the rest of the action instead, I guess, when she kicked the ball from the ground: It looked all regular to me there and I don't see any foul, but in my opinion the foul had been previously made on GK Eckerstrom (by the way, why wasn't it Franch in goal? :cautious: Also, I see Heath was back from injury in second hlaf)

5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 CoachJon, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    POR-WAS an amazing, dramatic game. The fans gave their best and the energy bouyed up players on both teams. I am staggered by the immensity of a Portland Thorns home game. This is not "what can be;"
    This. Is. Women's. Football!

Add GIF of Emily Sonnett with a blackened face spitting out crumb rubber.

cpthomas repped this.
  6. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Scattered thoughts from Friday night's game:

The Thorns get so many PKs awarded at Providence Park. At least these two were legitimate fouls. Good on Bledsoe for stopping Horan's after she hesitated -- to me it looked more like a stumble than an intentional stutter-step.

The Thorn "away kit" (used at home in this case) looks great. I hated those ink-dipped kits from the last 1-2 years. Spirit's red and blue stripes are sharp too. In all, an aesthetically pleasing kit experience. :)

Sonnett's intensity is admirable. It got her a yellow card yes, but she made many other timely challenges, organized the backline, and drew the foul that led to Horan's PK.

Not Horan's best game. I'm a big admirer of her, but her passing was off kilter, she committed many fouls, and botched the PK.

Crnogorcevic must be a sub because she is new and Parsons is phasing her in. She is better overall player than both Onumonu and Lussi.

Heath lives! ... and in other WNT news, Sam Mewis is slowly returning also. Now we just need Ertz (a couple weeks away apparently) and Lavelle (who the hell knows).

Parsons sure is a whiner. Always complaining about something.

I like what Washington is doing. They actually look competent unlike last year. Defense is clearly their weakest link. Quinn prefers midfield, but she is needed on defense. Especially once Lavelle comes back (if ever), the forward and midfield lines have good depth already.

Hatch has looked weirdly timid up until now, but showed far more bite today. She was actually sprinting, harrassing defenders and initiating tackles instead of reacting.

Semblance17, blissett and CoachJon repped this.
  7. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where the hell are the "North Carolina is a Woso hotbed" fans. The empty seats are painful to see.

8. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Yeah, I don't get it. WakeMed is not even a big stadium. They should be able to fill the lower bowl at least.

What a goal by Mathias. :eek:

9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [NC-UTA]
    06' 1-0 NC right ck inswings to 13m right post, poked away by Labonta(?), out to 25m right post. Matthias steps into it with a perfect snapover half-volley, rising golaaaaaaaaazo into right 90, way over Smith's dive.

HT 1-0.

blissett repped this.
  10. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    How is Hinkle not getting NT looks. Best OB in the NWSL right now. She is solid defensively too, which isn't the case with several recent NT looks at that position.

Is it all political?

11. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's positional. She's not a forward Ellis can convert :D

Myrtle repped this.
  12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    52' 1-1 RB Miramontez hoofs a long service from circle top wide right to box top center, into a 3-v-Stengel. The 3 are Dahlkemper with a 1-step lead, Matthias, and Rowland way up at 15m in no-GK's land. Dahlkemper leaps and heads a blooper high over Rowland, dropping at 7m left post as Dahlkemper and Stengel both chase. Dahlkemper lunges under pressure but whiffs on a 2nd poke-away, ball bounces untouched above both their heads, Stengel remains upright and hop-heads into net still empty. Rowland came 80% of the way out and didn't get there, Dahlkemper had to make a decision and rushed it. One of those days.

13. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    To my knowledge it was never explicitly stated that Hinkle's NT withdrawal was for personal beliefs. Rather it was an educated guess based on the timing (June = pride month = rainbow numbers, Hinkle's religious beliefs).

No doubt she plays, or played in the past, with gay players. So it seems like she is fine with the personal side of it. Just prefers not to make political statement that she disagrees with.

CoachJon repped this.
  14. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    66' 1-2 Miramontez, closely pressured this time, hoofs another longball from circle back right touch, bouncing at 30m box right, well ahead of the 3-v-3 chase pack. Stengel chases down Erceg, calm backpass but she pulls up as Stengel accelerates past her. Rowland steps out to 8m 3-right, slightly rushed by Stengel's speed, one-touch clearance partially deflected by Stengel -- skitters directly to Ratcliffe at arc top box right. Ratcliffe touches to 18m mid-right, steps into a right-foot blast -- beats Rowland still at 3m to near post, off her left fingertips into 1/5 right 3/4 high.

15. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Based strictly on current NWSL play only she should be called up to the next NT camp

16. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    80' 2-2 O'Sullivan hoofs long from circle back right touch to 28m 6-right, into the sprint pack of Williams vs. Sauerbrunn + Corsie. Smith calls them off and rushes out to arc top (her) left, all three tuck-and-cover as Smith -- shanks a foul tip sidespinning due leftward. Ball topspins to arc tangent left, Williams veers to it but pulls up as Dunn sails in from 30m and just beats Miramontez, contested one-touch chip volley gently arcs into 1/4 left. Possibly an OG off Miramontez's left shoe?

FT 2-2. OK, RB hoof long from wherever you are :coffee:

CoachJon repped this.
  17. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [CHI-SkB]
    01' 1-0 Chicago right throw-in at 8m, short to Mautz at 3m wide right. Simple backtap to Huerta in a seam at 15m wide right. Huerta takes one touch to settle, chips a shross across mouth, probably intended for Nagasato lurking at 6-top left post -- instead it perfectly lobs :eek: Sheridan, drops unerringly into left 90.

This shot arc is a soccer meme, probably a post-practice goof-off drill. (Or on some teams, it is practice :D)

18. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Pretty sure that was not offside on Beckie, from Groom's pass. Need another replay, but I suspect it should be 1-1.

19. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    78' 1-1 K.Johnson passes left from 35m box right to McCaskill at 25m arc left. McCaskill holds up as Lloyd runs through arc top left, dragging two defenders with her. McCaskill cuts centerward to arc tangent left, shoots right instep -- micro-deflects off Comeau's extended leg, beats Naeher's dive, and bounces into right side netting. That ball picked up topspin and dove under Naeher's hand :ninja:

CoachJon repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, NC Courgae gave away two goals with awful defensive blunders! :x3:

Anyway, Harvey's sides are always a tough nut to crack for anyone. :coffee:

21. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 Semblance17, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    One incontrovertible truth about Jill Ellis [to which many past national team call-ups can attest] is that it doesn't take much at all to burn a bridge with her. Once the bridge has been burned, it's almost impossible to rebuild. For the same reason I would be quite surprised [albeit very pleasantly so] if Press returns to the team after Ellis very publicly shamed her for refusing her NWSL allocation.

Regardless of the true motivation, Hinkle's decision to drop out of the European tour last year at the last minute didn't seem to sit too well with Ellis.

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be happy if Press returns to the team. By "publicly shamed" are you referring to Ellis' statement that she was giving Press time to settle where she would be playing, since she needed to be playing somewhere? If so, that's a really broad definition of "public shaming" -- simply stating that Press needed to be playing somewhere, which seems pretty obviously true.

FYI, I support Press's decision as to where she is playing.

23. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, maybe [probably] calling it "public shaming" was a little strong, and I realized that when writing my original post. But I also believe Ellis may have been looking for an excuse to dismiss Press, and was happy to use one when it presented itself.

24. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HOU-ORL Not surprisingly, Houston has problems - Nichelle Prince still sucks and their two best footballers are playing fullback. If Campbell blasts a ball downfield one more time when she has time to do something more constructive, I'll be throwing my foam brick at the screen.

25. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    press did herself in. ellis responded quite appropriately. once press starts scoring goals in sweden, ellis will, appropriately, call her back in.

hinkle, on the other hand, may have a higher mountain to climb. camaraderie is, i understand, way more crucial in the women's game. so when she stated her opposition to the gay lifestyle and apparently opted out of wearing those pride uniforms, she stood up for what she believed and at the same time may have erected a difficult barrier between herself and the team.

she's definitely outplaying all other left backs as far as I can see.

here's hoping she gets called back in.

blissett repped this.