PBP: NWSL Week 21 Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Gilmoy, Aug 15, 2018.

1. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle Reign FC can clinch a playoff berth with a win or a tie

blissett repped this.
  2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see you're in NY, where I lived for three years after college and after growing up in Philly. I remember what my wife and I used to say about the across the river Con Ed coal plants when we lived in Manhattan and would have dinner with the window open: "Hurry up and eat your soup before it gets dirty." But, suspended micro particulates from forest fire smoke are completely different than that old coal burning ash, especially when mixed with wind shifts -- the weather here sometimes comes primarily from the west and sometimes primarily from the east, and right now we're in a transition period. Given that it was pretty critical to get the game played today if at all possible, it didn't surprise me at all that they waited until the last minute to make a decision on whether the level of particulate in the air would be acceptable taking into consideration the changing prevailing wind pattern. I guess you'd have to live here to understand that. The same thing may happen with Thorns/Sky Blue tomorrow, and we Portland fans planning to go to the game will be disappointed but not whiney if the decision is last minute (although the prospects to get the game played now are looking pretty good).

PS - Commuting to a game from outside the City in Portland, and also in Seattle though to a lesser extent, doesn't compare even a little bit to commuting to a game from outside NYC. People complain about traffic out here, and I say, "You have no idea!"

Of course, the NY culture is slightly different than the Pacific Northwest culture, so maybe the locals here are willing to tolerate than most New Yorkers are. :eek: (Give me air!) ;) (I'm sort of kidding.) :p (And I'm definitely giving you a hard time.)

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.