NWSL Week 2 pre/pbp/post (5/21-5/23)

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by CoachJon, May 20, 2021.

1. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Paramount + as SiberianThunder mentioned or wait til somebody post it on YouTube.

West Ender repped this.
  2. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    this YT channel posts NWSL games, but not as of yet Thorns/Reign game from yesterday
    Alexander Kachusov - YouTube
    What was your opinion of the game? Only watched the 2nd half. but impressions were ;way too physical & the scoring dominated by the 35+ year olds, makes me wonder if enough of our better college players are given pro ball/NWSL try after graduating?

West Ender repped this.
  3. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Haven’t yet seen the game until it’s posted on YouTube to express my observation. Have you forgotten Sophia Smith scored two goals and an own goal by the opponent in last game? Or in Louisville with Emina Emik scoring that awesome goal against the Spirit? Bound to have a mix of new and old scoring goals and it shows they still got it.

West Ender repped this.
  4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    good point, Emik would get a look on our NT if we had MVT as our coach!
    I was looking forward to Smith as well as the rest of the Thorns newbies Weaver, Charley & Tulsi. But this time they were rather basic out there/couldn’t get the quality passes to penetrate the Reign defense.
    Surprised too much the Lyon send one if their’s to coach the Reign but his physical, tuff defensive style is more reminiscent of arch rivals PSG, guess a clear sign that the NWSL will become more tactical

5. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding who Vlatko can bring into the NT camps, the problem is not our coach.
    It has more to do with the way the US SOCCER contract is set up with the USWNT players.
    I don't recall all the details, but I think maybe @SiberianThunderT or @lil_one would be able to break it down.

6. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, how long do I have to wait for the Paramount+ replay (I have a subscription)?
    Thanks.

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I checked earlier today and it looked like the entire game was already up.

West Ender and CoachJon repped this.
  8. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I was looking at the NWSL website (I know, my bad), and they still have, "Replay Not Yet Available".

9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Under the current CBA, there is NO limit on the number of non-contract players who can be called in (this was not true under old CBA's). The problem is that USSF is already paying the contracted players. So, if Vlatko called in a roster of all non-contracted players, then USSF has to pay both the contracted players (who are not in camp) plus the players called in. Why would you not call in the players who you are already paying? It's the inherent problem with the contract structure. If the USSF didn't offer contracts to any more players than listed in the CBA, then there are 16 contracted WNT players this year (the number dropped by one each year of the CBA, but there were more than the minimum the year of the WWC).

By the way, since this is the NWSL thread, the federation players in the NWSL are somewhat different in that there are 22 federation (USSF-allocated) players. So, not everyone who receives a NWSL federation salary is on a USSF WNT contract. And finally, the current CBA expires at the end of this year.

West Ender repped this.
  10. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Thats good, forcing the teams in NWSL to having to adapt to tough defensive style of PSG.

11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #36 hotjam2, May 25, 2021
    Last edited: May 25, 2021
    I sorta meant it as an inside joke for poster, Klingo, cuz he knows that I do watch Frauen Bundesliga, and when I see a new young,really good player, I tend to comment “you’ll see, she’ll be on the NT next” and BINGO one month later, their NT coach(MVT for short) debuts her!
    So just wishful thinking on my part that my predictions would have the same success with Vlatko, lol
    The USWNT contract system has its pro’s & cons; on the positive side, the high pay (about $200-250K an year) keeps really good players active way into their 30’s(whereas a lot of foreigners tend to retire way earlier cuz of the relative low pay of so called pro ball in woso & their NT’s virtually pay nothing)
    But on the negative side; we’re loosing a lot of potentially really terrific players simply because space is so limited on the USWNT(due to our vets hanging in there so long). I mean NWSL salaries only start at $20K an year & cap out at $50K without any benefits. And then you never know how good our vast college ball is? I mean always remember a few years back how the NCAA 170th ranked UNLV Running Rebs beat Argentina’s NT 2-1 in an friendly, just a few months prior before they went to the 2019 WC and tied through likes of Japan & Scotland(plus only an 2-0 loss to England, so it’s really mind boggling how much talent there could be in college!
    and yet 15 year Olivia Moultrie’s dad just won an court case extension chance the over turn the NWSL 18 year old age limit(So kinda sad to see an 15 year old vs the so called cynical/professional fouls thats seems to where we’ll be headed

West Ender repped this.
  12. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry; I'm a bit salty about having to subscribe to one streaming service or another to watch most of the matches this year and I haven't yet made the jump. I could still start the threads though, as a public service.

CoachJon and West Ender repped this.
  13. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    She will have to play against such football sport. Since this is the norm. How was it like that in Frauen Bundesliga? Very physical as well?

14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    there's only two pro clubs/10 amateur in their league, plus now they almost all got B squads playing in the 2nd division(so that's where all these mid teens can be found now). Plus, the 2 pro clubs, seems to take it easy when playing the bottom ten(same with PSG, their at total war vs Lyon, but settle down a notch with France's bottom ten)
    With the NWSL being so balanced & plus an much older/more experienced/veteranish crowd, you to the feeling every game is going to be an battle & of course more chances for theose cynical/professional fouls

Klingo3034 repped this.
  15. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    So you have on two pro clubs and rest are amateurs in those leagues. What about semi pro? Or that’s pretty much the same?

16. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Wish Tobin and Press play for Louisville. Be a big boost for the team and crowds loving it. And afterwards they can switch next year to Angel FC.

17. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I've noticed that Orlando is doing fine so far with three rookies in the starting lineup. Taylor Korniek (No. 3 in 2020 draft), Courtney Peterson (No. 7), and Phoebe McClernon (No. 14). McClernon at center back has played every minute of the six matches Orlando has played this year, and I've been impressed.

CoachJon, West Ender and Klingo3034 repped this.
  18. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019

Oh Hell Stains vs Portland Germs

West Ender repped this.
  19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't agree more about what a pain it is to follow women's soccer. I am dumping Hulu after the 5/29 HOU-CHI game on CBSSN, and don't plan to pick it back up until the 8/22 WAS - ORL game on CBSSN. I wish there was a way to tag the subscriptions I make so they know the major, or maybe only, reason I did it was to follow women's soccer.

Semblance17, kolabear and West Ender repped this.