PBP: NWSL Week 12 Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Semblance17, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Credit to NC, this is the least boring Seattles offense has been in the last several games and NCs defense is staying strong. The Reign need to get Long more involved, and I don't think Yanez is the answer on the right wing.

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #27 Gilmoy, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    46' 1-2 Rapinoe turns down box left alongside Mathias, whips a cross from 11m box left to 6-top 2-right. Yanez jumps leaning backward, can only pop her header over bar.

48' 1-3 NC right ck, to 4m left post, Ld.Williams comes into the scrum and punches away. Hinkle chips to 6m center, Ln.Williams hop-flick goes nowhere. Ball bounces to 5m 6-right, Debinha runs on and -- whiffs, runs over ball! Seattle clear up wide left, Mathias regains and jukes past Rapinoe, to arc top mid-right. Right foottop shot swerving away from Ld.Williams's dive -- off her fingertips, into back right high :eek: North Carolina can't even believe it :p

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    58' 1-3 Seattle subs in (1 of 3) #12 Morgan Andrews for #20 Rumi Utsugi.
    65' 1-3 Seattle subs in:
    - (2 of 3) #9 Nahomi Kawasumi for #24 Alyssa Kleiner
    - (3 of 3) #13 Adriana Leon for #17 Beverly Yanez.

66' 1-3 Rapinoe cuts to arc top, backheel springs Leon through arc left. Leon clangs ball off right shin, way too far to Rowland coming out. Seattle just aren't up to the pace of play, and trying to play faster magnifies tiny errors. (To be fair, North Carolina spends about 70' of every game being not up to their own pace of play :p but they score)

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    70' 1-4 L.Williams dribbles fast up mid-right lane to 24m arc right, diagonal pass to box top left post springs Dunn past Oyster, to 9m left post. Simple shot across mouth, into back right pipe 1/2 high. Seattle lose the speed match-up at every position on the field, and eventually NC convert some fast-break layups.

71' 1-4 Mathias counters up right touch to ~15m, fast cross to 5m 1/4 left. Ld.Williams comes out, stretch-pushes ball past Ln.Williams' bow, to 6m 7-left. McDonald chests ball, taps back to Debinha unmarked at 8m left post. Debinha shuffles feet, shot blocked by Kleiner coming across. McDonald goes back to ball, turn-and-shoot from 12m mid-left to 5m left post -- Ld.Williams falls on it thereat, out of position but the ball came right to her.

73' 1-4 Zerboni quacks a bad pass to Kawasumi at 14m mid-right, rushed chip across mouth bounces wide left low. And when Seattle get these half-chances, they put all of them not on frame.

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    78' 1-4 Long longball to Rapinoe at arc tangent left, she chests ball square to box top 1/3 right. Leon rushes a half-volley, lifts it waaay over bar. Not on frame :coffee:

79' 1-4 Rapinoe quick pass toward box top mid-left, Taylor splits the high line. Taylor lets ball catch up to her, runs behind it -- Kurtz comes back across her front, clears ball over endline left. Half-chance and not even a shot ...

6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    86' 1-4 North Carolina subs in (3 of 3) #21 Darian Jenkins :thumbsup: for #14 Jessica McDonald. Jenkins has had a long road back from the broken leg/ankle.

FT 1-4. Maybe NC is a dynasty in the making, until the rest of the league all reboot their rosters with new talent.

blissett repped this.
  7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what the really scary part of NC's dominance is? That even though they're running away with the league this year, most of their players haven't even reached the typical peak age yet. I have to keep reminding myself of how young everyone is.

blissett repped this.
  8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as Charlie Naimo is on board, they should stay strong. And keeping Riley is key to the future commitment of current players, I'm sure.
    IF Expansion happens for the 2019 season, that will re-shuffle the player pool and somewhat level the talent distribution. Hopefully Julie King gets healthy and still wants to play (somewheere) and Makenzie Doniak comes back.
    I do think Riley has some Duke and North Carolina players in his sphere of influence and probably some Long Island Fury players as well - to help keep the youth coming in. Which broadens the reach within the younger talent pool - not all the future Courage need to be ex- Pali Blues.

9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [WAS-ORL]
    1010646182484463623 is not a valid tweet id

Washington: Q Lavelle / OUT Eubanks Farquharson Matthews Pugh Ship Solaun
    Orlando: Q Krieger / OUT Weatherholt

10. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11' 0-1 Washington control at circle back. GK Bledsoe is way up at own spot. (cue Jaws cellos) E.Johnson simple pass to Lohman at circle left. Lohman tries a square pass to Andrews in front half-circle -- but Kennedy jumps the route up centerline, takes two touches just past midfield --

(you know what's coming it's such a meme) --

and Kennedy fast-lobs Bledsoe from one step past midfield, clean over her fingertips at 9m, bouncing at 2m 1/5 right and into back right 1/2 high.

That's better struck than Lloyd's in WWC'15, because it needed no woodwork and admitted no save chance. Always take that peek at the GK and do what you've practiced -- and practice it a few hundred reps, in case it happens once in your career :D

FT 0-1 :speechless: this one gimmick play is the margin

blissett repped this.
  11. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [CHI-UTA]

but

Chicago: Q White / OUT McCaffrey / HS* Elby
    Utah: Q none / OUT Arlitt Laddish O’Hara / HS* Press

It is rumored that there was a gentlecoach's agreement to not play the players involved in the recent mega-trade.

12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    61' 0-0 Handball on Moros.

62' 1-0 Colaprico fk at circle top wide right, driven high to spot. Naughton jumps drifting left-and-back away from the scrum, pops a high bloop header 5m up -- and it drops unerringly over A.Smith's fingertips, juuuust under left 90, into back left low.

... and then A.Smith collides with (her) right post? :cry:

blissett repped this.
  14. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know why Harvey left Seattle for Utah, what is the story there?

15. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    70' 2-0 Kerr collects at 35m wide right, backs down Sauerbrunn to 10m mid-right -- meanwhile, Nagasato backcuts toward 8m left post, dragging RB Bowen with her to 7m. Kerr taps a simple backpass to DiBernardo trailing unmarked to box top center. One mini-clang to 15m right post, serendipitously in her wheelhouse -- she steps into a right foot pull, hard across mouth past A.Smith at right post, bounces once into back left low.

73' 2-0 Gilliland hoofs from midfield wide right to arc tangent right, Kerr jumps 1-v-2 and heads down-and back to 22m center. Nagasato runs on, one-touch left foot shot over A.Smith, off crossbar 1/6 right, bounces down at 4m and out to spot.

FT 2-0.

blissett repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    She didn't leave Seattle specifically for Utah. She just left Seattle because she and the owners both felt it was time, and her fate was up in the air for a bit. She was passingly tied to a USSF job, but then Utah suddenly came into existence and she was convinced to come in.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ouch!!! :x3: It looked like a quite hard crash of her face on the post. I hope she's ok.

18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I liked a lot when, some minutes before that, Nagasato dribbled a DF in the box and than shot. It was a step over that totally took Royals' DF off balance, to the point that she stumbled on the ground. I like women's football because you can see such technical moves succeed more often than in the too overly physical men's football from these days. :thumbsup:

59Amerinorsk and MRAD12 repped this.
  19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree. Don't get me wrong, I still follow the men's game and go Fire games here in Chicago as well, but I like the women's game for that reason as you stated and often even more technical, plus you don't see the girls diving absurdly and rolling 10 times in the box trying to get a PK, chasing the referee down 60 yards with profanity, or holding their face like in pain when the opponent barley touched his shoulder.

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Of course that's another one of the main reasons why I follow women's football. Since I quit following men's football almost completely instead, I didn't even remember to mention those antics! :laugh:

Gilmoy repped this.
  21. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Utah needs Press and O'Hara on the field. Now.