PBP: NWSL Week 12 Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Semblance17, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Semblance17, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 5.40.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 5.39.38 PM.png

(officially *Week 13, per Gilmoy's post below)

Gilmoy repped this.
  2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NWSL's own tweet calls this "Week 13", and last week was "Week 12".
    So they counted the single-match Week 11 as Week 11 by itself :)

(I think we're right and they're wrong :D who's with me)

3. William49

William49 Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Chicagoland

I find this to be a week argument. :D

lil_one, Cliveworshipper and blissett repped this.
  4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over on the predictions thread, we have the correct numbering. The robot always knows.:geek:

blissett repped this.
  5. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huerta is playing in the mid-field, who said she was traded because she wanted to play defense?

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #6 MRAD12, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Well, that's what she wanted from my understanding to be traded and play what Jill Ellis wants her to play. But she is in the #10 position. I don't get it.

It is weird seeing Sofia and Taylor in another team's uniform.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wow, Huerta scores her 1st goal with her new team right away. Good for you, kid.

blissett repped this.
  8. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what's happened to Katherine Reynolds, but she has not been good this year. She always seems to have at least one "WTF are you doing?!" moment per game.

9. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Ohai part Hawaiian?

10. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. (safely assuming that Wikipedia is never wrong)

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 9.28.23 PM.png

blissett repped this.
  11. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really dislike Lori Lindsey's commentary. She says the same four things over and over again. And this guy twice mis-identified Ohai when she was playing defense behind her own 18. Once early in the game he said it was Chapman and then later he said Polkinghorne. I guess he couldn't comprehend that Ohai got that far back. If you watch this game enough, you get to know what Ohai looks like in motion.

blissett and BlueCrimson repped this.
  12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Darn.... I won't say HOU needed this win, but they really would have appreciated being in the middle of the pack after using their game-in-hand over CHI instead of trailing. I would venture to say that this result is the one where we (at the end of the season) say the playoffs were put out of reach?

blissett repped this.
  13. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still trying to figure out how Boureille can hit Daly in the face with a high boot, but Daly is the one called for a foul.

14. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt at first, being new to commentary and all. Like anything else, it takes time and practice to develop into a solid analyst. But she's just bad at it, and doesn't seem to be getting any better. Repeating a small handful of terms for 90 minutes is a surefire sign that you have no idea what you're talking about.

CoachJon repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Best quote since some time!!! :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, I am with you, Gilmoy. How can you call a single stray macth "a week" and even give it a number?

Semblance17 repped this.
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ...but maybe they would have deserved at least a draw? The last two goals from Portland were quite random (Crnogorcevic's one should have been saved twice, by the GK first and then by the player on the goal-line, who indeed after the fact looked like a child just caught breaking a window in the courtyard with the ball; Sinclair's shot had probably the slightest deflection from the DF in front of Campbell, but she should have saved that goal anyway), and I dare to say that Houston had more legitimate chances to make it 2-2 than Portland had to win by 1-3.

Not claiming she was the reason why Portland won, but I guess Franch's return in goal was anyway a factor. Don't get me wrong, Eckerstrom had been excellent in the last game vs Chicago, but I guess Franch, apart from the good saves, gives more confidence to the whole team.

17. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any way to watch the ESPNNews matches in the U.S. without having access to that channel?

18. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For completeness:
    [HOU-POR] Sinclair's 100th NWSL cap!

Houston: Q Simon (she starts); OUT K.Mewis
    Portland: Q Heath (she starts); OUT Morris Purce

19. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    09' 0-1 Campbell punts(?) to midfield circle right, Menges outjumps Daly and heads to circle top left. Sinclair collects, passes ahead toward Carpenter, ball poked away -- into Sinclair's stride as she continues her own run, to 32m mid-right. Sinclair rolls a ground pass toward 24m 6-right -- Crnogorčević dummies ball through her legs, Van Wyk gets sucked in and falls over trying to replant. Ball rolls untouched to Heath through box top left post, she follows to 10 left post and flicks right outstep past Campbell, just inside left post low.

12' 1-1 Long switch to Ohai at 38m wide left, she taps-and-chases past Reynolds isolated, outruns her to 10m mid-left. Cross to 8m left post, Menges pops ball straight up. Huerta taps back to Motlhalo, square pass right to Daly at arc top. Daly passes down mid-right for Simon outracing Klingenberg to 2m. Ground cross to 4m center, Sonnett stabs ball facing own goal, toward right post and Franch's foot. Franch is wrong-footed going centerward, ball reflects off her foot to 4m 1/3 right. Huerta poaches thereat, left instep tap past Sonnett on knees, just inside right post behind Franch falling centerward.

20. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    33' 1-2 Sinclair receives at circle top, turns cw away from pressure, square pass left to Heath. Heath rolls a pass down box left to Klingenberg at 11m. One-touch ground cross to 6-top 3-right, Crnogorčević flicks right outstep low, Campbell leg-blocks ball straight up to 2m 4-left. Crnogorčević heads ball across mouth, Campbell micro-deflects it with fingers -- just over/past Brooks at near post, perfectly flat across goalline, just behind Chapman overrunning self into goal, off right post, and bounces in.

83' 1-3 Klingenberg serves from midfield wide left to Lussi facing away at 30m box left. Lussi taps square right to Sinclair at 28m arc left. Sinclair spins ccw to collect, touches twice to 24m 1/3 left, shoots right instep pull rising toward left 90. Campbell gets both gloves on ball, but it rattles off/through them, into back left edge.

FT 1-3.

21. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    07' 0-0 McDonald cross from arc top box right, hits Catley's trailing left hand behind her. Handball, pk.
    08' 0-0 L.Williams pk, right instep to right post low, L.Williams dives and blocks wide right.

blissett repped this.
  23. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    17' 0-0 Mathias fouls Rapinoe.

17' 1-0 Rapinoe fk at 9m wide left, right instep crossbody shot dives over the 2-wall, to right post low hard. Rowland dives and double-blocks, ball bounces up at 3m left post. Oyster is right there, steps and blasts ball into back left high.

~20' 1-0 McCall Zerboni attains 10,000 NWSL minutes :notworthy:

blissett repped this.
  24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    24' 1-0 Rapinoe spins down wide left to 2m box left, low cross to 3m 3-left. Long lifts low left roundhouse volley, past Rowland, across mouth, into right side netting. No goal, offside.

27' 1-1 Fast ground pass springs Dunn through box top mid-left, 1-v-1 on Kleiner. Dunn drives down to endline mid-left, Kleiner blocks cross and stops ball half-over endline -- good defense, but now a problematic clearance. Bad clearance directly to NC above box top, they circulate to Hinkle 1-v-1 on Yanez at arc top wide left. (tweetcap begins) Hinkle drives down to 3m wide left, fast cross to 6-top right post. J.McDonald makes a decoy run to 6-top center, L.Williams outjumps Catley and heads a perfect lob over L.Willams, dropping into back left low.

25. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    33' 1-2 McDonald left throw-in at 6m -- L.Williams walks unnoticed :mad: to 10m mid-left, nobody within 5m of her. McDonald heaves to L.Williams's chest, she taps back to Dunn was-marked at 18m arc left (untl her defender rotated late). Dunn rattles ball to box top left post, blasts right step through traffic, one bounce past L.Williams's dive, just inside left post. NC are up to 14(6)-(2)3 shots(sog) :coffee: they always do this