NWSL vs MLS presentation

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FanOfFutbol, Jul 16, 2020.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I rarely have anything of a positive note to say about the MLS but they are beating the NWSL and the Premier league and the Bundesliga and all others I have seen so far in the presentation of their matches.

They have NO fake crowd noise during play. They have multiple microphones in and on the field giving us the real on field sounds of the matches. They even have microphones embedded in the fields themselves.

This has made their matches much more enjoyable than they have ever been in the past and more enjoyable than all but the bet of other matches in other leagues world wide.

I think had the NWSL made this choice the enjoyability of the matches would have been greatly increased and some, maybe most, of the games we have found boring would have moved well out of the boring category.

The MLS got something right and that, in itself, is huge news.

BTW: Sometimes the sounds from the benches are even more interesting than the players on the field.

Edit to add: The MLS has also put their matches on real grass and that makes a difference as well.

jnielsen repped this.
  2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    espn does not use crowd noise. FOX and TUDN offer options for no noise.

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #3 FanOfFutbol, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    At least on FOX the option is only for live matches (I record most matches as it is hard for me to watch live. I would prefer to record the NWSL if it were possible) and only on the FOX app I think. And, although I speak Spanish OK I have problems with the Spanish announcers lightning fast speech.

The MLS made the choice and got it right the others made a different choice and got it wrong.

Fake crowd noise is, well, fake.

EDIT: The MLS is also using VAR. I guess the NWSL is too cheap to use it.

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

They never have used it. Some of the facilities have no provision for it.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

They are sports announcers. They do talk pretty fast, but There are only a couple dozen phrases you have to be able to pick out. ( a little different by region).

6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I assume you are talking about the NWSL as the MLS is set up to use it in all their home fields and on all three of the "special" fields at the ESPN facility being used for their return tournament. My comment was equally about the "regular" matches as well as this tournament. In today's soccer world it just seem cheap to not use VAR in what is supposed to be the top women's league in the world.

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Pretty fast is a huge understatement. They can fit 50-60 words in the space English or French or Germans fit 20. I do enjoy the "color" but I just prefer to have the broadcast in one of my better languages so I do not have to expend effort to understand.

BTW: I have nearly the same kind of problem with Australian or New Zealand English. But at least they are slower so I can "translate" so I don't miss much from lack of understanding.

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I guess this thread might be a good place to discuss other differences between the MLS and the NWSL's return particularly as it pertains to player and staff safety.

First it should be noted that there is a rather huge difference in the number of teams involved in the two leagues and that means that the MLS has a lot more matches and a larger overall presence overall.

Having said that I want to say that the choice the MLS made of placing their return in Florida is just stupid both form an environmental standpoint, Florida is quite hot and muggy this time year, and from a player safety standpoint as Florida is one of the real hot spots for Covid-19.

The NWSL lost one team before their restart and as far as I know there have been no new positive tests inside the bubble while the MLS has now lost two and there is at least one player on another team that has tested positive (two consecutive positive tests for that player) since their tournament started.

It sounds like overall the NWSL has done a better job of protecting their players.

Because of many differences it is hard to really compare the two but the NWSL's bubble in Utah seems a lot more secure than the MLS' bubble in florida.

Also I have not heard about the NWSL's food but I have heard reports that the food in the MLS' bubble is pretty bad.

9. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I just discovered that MLS on FOX is adding the crappy fake noise to MLS matches. It is just as horrible there as it is for the NWSL on CBS All Access. The NWSL remains watchable, mostly, with the fake noise but the MLS is rendered pretty much unwatchable.

10. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Thought I heard the crowd noises in the highlights. Figure they were playing it during the matches. But you are saying they added it.

11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No. they are adding it during play. Fox is just not learning, as ESPN, has that no fake noise is better for viewing.