NWSL official attendance tracking

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Apr 14, 2013.

1. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I like what was mentioned above about the Sky Blue.
    Why is that they do not use the New Jersey name. Their location in piscataway is plenty populated and would connect with being a new jersey team

2. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Just out of Curiousity if Sky Blue doe not adopt the Jersey name and do better marekting job and If CHI just does not have a venue that would suit an NWSL franchise would they consider moving the teams rosters to another market if so which would be best

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No. That would be breach on contract between the league and the club owners.

4. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    oh gotcha. At what point would even the owner of CHI say that it is just not a good situation in Chicago

5. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Don't let MRAD12 see you say that!

6. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Most teams and leagues slump in Year 2. But the NWSL rushed to launch last season, so perhaps the extra time will help them avoid a decline.

Chicago seemed perfectly happy with how things went last year. We'll see how that translates to Year 2.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #782 MRAD12, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    What's not good about it? Because they are playing on an astroturf field for the time being? That's it? This is an owner who has dedicated 5 years to the Chicago Red Stars. Spent lots of his own money to keep the brand going and women's soccer in Chicago. In the WPS when they played at Toyota Park we were one of the top 2 teams in attendance. Unfortunately Toyota Park costs too much.

Last year especially in the beginning, Seattle's attendance sucked. But none of you bashed them. And they have Solo and Rapinoe. Red Stars Had NO USWNT players last year. Get that cflsteve and Holden? NO USWNT players!!!

I as a Red Stars season ticket holder, like the situation very much. If you don't, too bad.

Arnim stepped up as an owner to bring women's pro soccer in Chicago. I don't see an owner in Philadelphia doing the same thing. They can't just force a team to move. An owner has to step up in another city.

Unbelievable that some of you after 1 year, 1 f--ken year, and without seeing how the next season goes are willing to take this team away from Chicago.

My town Chicago is a GREAT sports city. Ask Michael Jordan. The city was great to the great Walter Payton. Mike Ditka who is actually from Pennsylvania has stayed true to Chicago. And I don't want to even start talking about the hundreds of thousands of baseball fans and tourists who flock to Wrigley Field every summer from all over the US.

I wish you guys would stop bashing my beautiful city. Most of you probably have never been here.
    I'm fine with the Red Stars being here. If the astroturf field turf is an eye-sore to you, well, tuff.
    They have one more year contract at Benedictine and then we'll see where they go after that.

You think Philadelphia would be much better? Not to me.

Leave my team alone!!

Unf--ken believable. I have to read this sh_t every f--ken day here.

Beau Dure repped this.
  8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Edith Ann used to say: "And that's the truth."

9. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #784 holden, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    @cflsteve I told you not to let MRAD12 see that...

Of course I didn't bash the Reign. I haven't bashed any team. The Red Stars included. But I have criticized how the Reign were run and their failure at marketing and ticket sales long before anyone else. The team I have been the most critical of: The Breakers. And that's because of their player transactions...

As to the Red Stars, I have suggested how they could improve their marketing and made suggestions to what I think are better locations. That's not what I'd consider bashing them, and I never suggested they be moved/sold/contracted. And I have never made any comment about what players they deserve or not. But I have praised their internet presence and many other things.

I have however noticed how you tend to overreact any time someone says something even remotely critical of the Red Stars, thus why I warned cflsteve.

I have never said anything on this forum about the city of Chicago.

Morris20 repped this.
  10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #785 MRAD12, Jan 31, 2014
    The reason I "overreact" as you say, is because of narrow-mindedness of some people here. Apparently and judging from his posts, newsouth feels Press is wasted on Chicago. Only wants Press in a city where she can play on beautiful grass in an MLS stadium where she can "theoretically" grow the maximum in popularity and cult of personality. Damn the growth of the sport and bringing a growing star to a market where she can do the most good both on and off the field - selfish thought.

Then there are posters who watched last year's Red Stars games on a computer feed and think the have the whole picture of the stadium situation. I told you guys, I have lived in Seattle for over a year, have gone to many women's Sounders game, all of Reigns home games last summer when I was there and let me tell you Starfire is no better a stadium then Benedictine, other then it has "soccer artificial turf" with no football lines, where Benedictine has "football turf" with foot ball lines. Benedictine has a better concourse, better concessions, better FREE parking. At Starfire you pay $5 and you have to park across the little river and then walk over the bridge, if you find parking.
    The Reign last season before Solo got back from her injury and Rapinoe showed up could barely muster around 1,000 in the stands. I know I was there. When Solo got there, the attendance went up but ONLY because SOLO was there, IMO. When the Reign played Portland it was sold out - other then that if you go back and look at the videos on other games the crowds were sparse. - But people like cfltsteve is not calling for the league to relocate the Reign.

On these boards , although we may not always agree, I value the opinion of folks like starcityfan, Cliveworshipper, SiberianThunderT, cpthomas. Because I know these guys. I have personally watched games with them. I know that like me, they put their money where their mouth is and have a good understanding of what's going on. They are generally interested in the growth of the women's game - and we are all guys. Last season I bought season tickets for the Red Stars even though I lived in Seattle and also went to all the Reign games as well as a few Portland games. - to support the game I love.

I'm not ready to take a team out of any city because the owners who have stepped up to spend their money deserve a chance to grow the sport in their cities. It may take several years, not just 1 year. The NWSL was put together quickly last year and many teams had little time in preparing and marketing. The Red Stars quickly made a contract for a couple of years with a college that had an affordable stadium centrally located where they thought their fan base came from. From my understanding there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes to promote the team this season and all options are on the table for a stadium next season. - I'm hoping they can partner with the Chicago Fire and play a game or two at Toyota Park this season.

If you want an NWSL team in your city then find an owner in your city that's willing to put up his/her money and willing to lose money for a period - don't take my team after 1 year.

So when I read on a daily basis some of the nonsensical, selfish comments and a rush to judgment after 1 year and the beating of drums after 1 season in the new league to take the team that I have financial and emotional supported for over 5 years out of my city because someone doesn't like the "pointy-ball lines" on their computer screen or from a selfish poster because how he wants his "Brazilian-looking girl" to be as popular as Morgan or Solo without regards for growing the game, then yes, it pisses me off.

11. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #786 holden, Jan 31, 2014
    It is overreacting. You just wrote 7 paragraphs about how 2 people on here piss you off (neither of which was me, one of which wasn't even posting in this thread recently) in a response to me defending myself from your baseless accusations and in all of that you couldn't even muster up an acknowledgement that you were wrong. I think you need to calm down. Just take some depth breaths and reflect before responding. Not everyone here is newsouth or even agrees with him. If he bugs you so much, put him on ignore. Same with anyone else that bugs you (even if it's me). I've done it to a few people, and trust me, it makes browsing these forums much more pleasant.

And I had Pali Blues season tickets. They want(ed) to join the NWSL. NWSL wouldn't let them. But I still supported them. And I intend to buy season tickets again this year (once they start selling them), even though they're still not in the NWSL, have moved to a stadium further away from me and I might not be able to get to every game, and I haven't had any paying work in months. So yeah, I support WoSo with my wallet. I just don't support the NWSL with my wallet, but that's due to their choices, not mine (and honestly, I think the W-League needs my money more than the NWSL does).

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Look when it comes to the Red Stars, many things are up for discussion and of course criticsm.

Several posters have commented on Rory dames' coaching style. I have not responded. They have a right to have an opinion on a coach's coaching style and/or "bedside mannerisms"

The turf at Benedictine is not the greatest. I have said that. I hate football lines on a soccer field. But when it's coupled with, "let's take the team out of the city because they play on a football line field" - I have a problem with that.

You can criticize players, style of play, the sun being hot - what ever you want.

What I will respond passionately on:

Constantly talk about taking my team away.
    Not wanting your favorite player on my team because she is too good for us - that's a form of dissing.
    Dissing my beautiful city - I don't diss other people's cities. (Although lately it has not been so beautiful with tons of snow and constant -0 temperatures.

and,

Disrespecting Lori Chalupny. - you can criticize her play if you feel she hasn't played well or up to her potential, however, IMO, she has more soccer skill, more character, more people personality, more leadership qualities - in her little finger then most of these players do in their whole bodies.

13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #788 MRAD12, Jan 31, 2014
    BTW, even though I mentioned your name, my rant wasn't directed toward you. My apologies. I was trying to prove a point of how the CRS did not have a single USWNT last season (Boxx played a couple of games), to drive the attendance and I wanted to get your attention on this.

I want the league to succeed and GROW. And yes, I absolutely want an NWSL team in Southern California. S. California IMO, got a raw deal with AEG pulled out too quickly, IMO - and I don't want that to happen with the Red Stars.

I also believe NWSL needs strong presence in the Midwest and Chicago already has a foundation, it needs nurturing and time to grow - not constant threats to pull the team out without giving them that chance.

I was on a soapbox early this morning. I just get tired of reading the rush to judgments after one short season about the Red Stars.

Look, let's revisit this discussion of "are the Red Stars failing" after this season. Let's see when Press comes in town and they get all their new players they drafted including local stars if the attendance has not gotten better. Let's see what plans they have for a stadium next season after their contract expires with Benedictine. And let's see what plans they actually have to promote this season. We are still 2 months away from actual season play.

If there are still doubts and the situation has not changed after this season - then absolutely everything is up for discussion and criticism.

But I'm willing to give them this season to show me where my hard earned season ticket money is going to before we get out our pitch forks.

14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Well that escalated quickly.

And to be fair, I do agree with Holden that newsouth is basically the only poster that I know who straight up disrespects CRS. But he's a trollvat this point and I wont take him too seriously. The rest I have seen are folks who know, follow and support the women's game but did not exactly agree with some of Chicago dealings last year. Apart from Portland, all teams on this board have been have had their management criticized at some point.

15. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back on the attendance theme. I posted this in the college section about early recruitment and think its also fits here.

WSJ story Jan 31 2014 on team sports:
    Youth Participation Weakens in Basketball, Football, Baseball, Soccer

Fewer Children Play Team Sports

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702303519404579350892629229918.html

"...Even soccer, which has seen strong gains in recent decades, shows signs its numbers are stagnating. The high-school federation (the National Federation of State High School Associations) reports that soccer participation was up 7.4% in the 2012-13 season from 2008-09. But the United States Soccer Federation, which governs U.S. youth soccer leagues other than school-based leagues, says its youth soccer participation was flat between 2008 and 2012....

...The soccer-participation data may be the biggest surprise, because the sport has been one of the brightest spots in U.S. sports.

In the past quarter century, Americans have embraced the sport, giving rise to Major League Soccer and making heroes of U.S. women's Olympic teams. Among American youth, participation grew in leagues governed by the U.S. Soccer Federation to about four million in 2007 from about two million in 1990.

Then growth sputtered. From 2008, the annual number hovered around four million. In 2012, the last year for which the figures are available, the number of youth soccer players in the federation fell slightly below four million.

The SFIA/Physical Activity Council survey, which included youth league and school-based participation, found a steeper drop in the period, with soccer participation down 7.1% in the 6-to-18 age group.

"Booms like the one we experienced can't go on forever," says a soccer federation spokesman. "A ceiling or end to such rapid growth is to be expected. I see the fact that we've maintained this high point of participation among kids as more important than the fact that the rapid increase has reached its end."..."

16. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    This just reaffirms that they need to work on getting older age groups interested in coming to games in order to grow attendance.

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  18. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The story included "During those five years (2008 to 2012), the population of 6-to-17-year-olds in the U.S. fell 0.6%, according to the U.S. Census."
    Does 7% now look even less bad?
    At least you are not criticizing the reporter.

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey RUfan, maybe my anecdotal experience in my local area in Portland with youth soccer participation actually means something -- might explain why the Thorns' soccer attendance is so high compared to elsewhere in the country. Just kidding ... I would reject my own anecdote as proving anything, far too small a statistical sample.:thumbsdown: But, it could make me question someone's representation that is contrary to what I experienced.