NWSL official attendance tracking

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Apr 14, 2013.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Time to put all the speculation behind us and see where all the teams actually stand; here's a thread for keeping track of all the official numbers recorded and any stats people want to do. =-)

Attendances this week:
    Code:
    KC  - 7684
    NJ  - 2611
    BOS - 2634
    CHI - ??
    avg - ??
    Totals by team:
    Code:
    team_GH__total__avg
    BOS__1____2634_2634
    CHI__1______??___??
    KC___1____7684_7684
    POR__0_______0____0
    SEA__0_______0____0
    NJ___1____2611_2611
    DC___0_______0____0
    WNY__0_______0____0
    net__3___12929_4310
    I know they do a lot of more complex statistics tracking in some of the men's forums.... does anyone know what that AAQ stuff is about? I've never seen it explained so I have no clue.

=edit=
    wow, for whatever reason the second code box just isn't displaying correctly for me. Anyone else seeing it weirdly? (columns not lining up)

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you ping the guys there I'm sure they'll be more than happy to explain.

3. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, SiberianThunder. I think I still have my spreadsheets that had the attendances for the first years' games in WPS. Do you think it would be useful to compare at some point? They're on my old computer, so it might take a couple of days before I can get to it, but we might be able to gauge how the new league is doing by comparing it to WPS, at least as one measure.

I realize that this league seems to be more expense conscious, while the old league seemed to be much more revenue driven, but the attendance is still important.

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Okay, found a temporary fix for the table, using underscores instead of spaces.... Might make a proper 'table' later.
    ....good point. X-D I should've thought of that.... Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, will do!
    That'd be great!
    One thing I remember from WPS is that most teams usually drew above 5k for their home opener; mid-2k numbers are supposed to be midseason numbers. I'm not too worried about Boston, they generally have pretty consistent attendance - and their open was an over-sellout like KC's, right? Have they made the expansion from 2.5k to 3.5k yet? Sky Blue, though.... I know they always had trouble pulling in WPS, but this seems like an all-time low opener, and they DO go down in midseason.

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

The correct announced attendance got FCKC v Thorns was 6784.

I think you got a little dyslexic.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    What was Chicago's attendance?

7. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    They seem to define AAQ ("Attendance Analysis Quotient") as:
    AAQ Points = (((Max - Mean)/Range) * 100) a.k.a
    AAQ Points = (((Max - (Sum/Count))/(Max - Min)) * 100)

But, the better question probably is, is AAQ something that people actually find useful and valuable? Or, is it just a made-up metric that is merely interesting?

8. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1255. Yuck.

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hmm... I guess there must be multiple AAQ's, b/c I'm used to seeing ArsenalMetro's values in the CONCACAF threads (where he doesn't explain the index...). Oh well.
    Good question. I may mess around with it once there's more data to work with, but for now I guess I'll leave it alone.

One thing I'm rather annoyed about at the moment is the lack of an official attendance report from Chicago. The closest thing I've found is a new article saying it was "a good but not capacity crowd". WTF is that supposed to mean? Half-full? 80% full?
    Until we get a better number, I think I'll just go with the 65% of their 3,600 and say 2,340 (which also functions nicely as 78% of 3,000, if they haven't expanded the seating yet) for now.
    Code:
    team_GH__total__avg
    BOS__1____2634_2634
    CHI__1____1255_1255
    KC___1____6784_6784
    POR__0_______0____0
    SEA__0_______0____0
    NJ___1____2611_2611
    DC___0_______0____0
    WNY__0_______0____0
    net__4___13284_3321

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Agh! You ninja'd me! Where'd you get that number?

11. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Hopefully they can build on that . . . I'm worried about CRS' marketing strategy, though. Seems like an organization trying to "save it's way to glory."

12. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hmm... I don't remember seeing that in the post earlier this morning.
    Anyway, updated.

14. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least they have a great jersey. Once more people see that, that will help draw some attention to them. Damn, it's nice. Credit to Peter Wilt again for the original concept design.

Y'know, I'm going to buy one of those and wear it to Dodger Stadium when the Cubbies are in town. And I don't even like going to baseball anymore. (oh wait, I wanted to wear a throwback Brooklyn Dodgers jersey with the # "1" on it in honor of Jackie Robinson and Pee Wee Reese. Now what do I do?)

Not sure whose name and number to put on it. Osborne? Boxxy? Fowlkes? Grings?...

15. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I'm not sure our enthusiasm is really going to help them put butts in seats. We're trying to get a group together to go to one game (closest team, but still 6 hrs away), but I think the rest of the league is way ahead of them in terms of marketing.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not yet. The ground isn't firm enough to start construction. No idea on projected completion. Cold weather at the start of school vacation week probably didn't help with SROs.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang, the stadium must be smaller than I imagined. It looked 1/2 full.

18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Capacity is 3000, so not even half full.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wonder for Chicago if that was gate or tickets sold?
    I, for an example am a season ticket holder but wasn't able to be at the game yesterday.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From what I understand, tickets for the Portland game on 4/27 are going through the roof.
    So I'm thinking it will be packed in 2 weeks. Thanks to one, Alex Morgan.

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

They have been selling individual tickets in the 200 level for about a week now. I think the lower bowl holds between 10K and 11K.

And I happened to be in that part of town this morning. I usually try to get by the stadium to see if anyone is practicing (not this time). There was a line for tickets in front of the stadium booth, which is pretty unusual. Most ticket sales are online nowadays and the Timbers tickets are almost all spoken for for the season already.

Before the Timbers we're an MLS team, attendance when I went was typically in the 7500 range, and that was a pretty good atmosphere. The reserve team games draw about that now.

I think it has more to do with Portland soccer fans liking special events than it has to do with Alex. And Christine is as much of a draw in this town as Morgan is. But it certainly helps that both are here.

22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    WTF? Not including MagicJack, that is the WORST attendance in WUSA, WPS, and NWSL history (combined) for a women's professional soccer match in this country, from those three leagues.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's actually not true.

Sky Blue drew an announced 994 to Yurcak Field for a match against Boston on 6/12/2011, 1,145 for a match against Atlanta 10 days later and 1,232 on July 9 of that year when magicJack came calling.

The actual bottom of the table, as it were:

5/28/2011 Atlanta at magicJack..........864 (WPS)
    5/08/2011 Atlanta at magicJack..........952 (WPS)
    6/12/2011 Boston at Sky Blue FC.........994 (WPS)
    5/01/2011 Philadelphia at magicJack...1,008 (WPS)
    6/22/2011 Atlanta at Sky Blue FC......1,145 (WPS)
    4/23/2011 Boston at magicJack.........1,224 (WPS)
    7/09/2011 magicJack at Sky Blue FC....1,232 (WPS)
    4/23/2013 Seattle at Chicago..........1,255 (NWSL)
    5/13/2011 Boston at Western NY........1,372 (WPS)
    7/17/2011 Western NY at Sky Blue FC...1,441 (WPS)

24. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Ok, so 3rd worst ever (not including magicFACK).

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubleplus ungood, no question.