News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Interesting, I wonder how close they are to a CBA or will they have the age limit introduced because it says they will let her play until then where she could be ineligible. Don’t know if it’s a good thing or bad.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    At this point, I don't see an appetite by either side to institute an age limit. It's obvious that such a clause would involve huge blowback with the public for minimal gain. I could see them putting in minimum standards of care for minor (beyond what SafeSport requires) that make it prohibitive for most teams and most girls to pursue professional soccer.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not think they will make it a big issue, since it is such an unlikely situation at least for the time being.

AndyMead and West Ender repped this.
  4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Kassouf
    @JeffKassouf
    16h
    Paul Riley has been fined by the NWSL for "'Prejudicial Statements and Public Criticism' of the League Operations Manual." He criticized the NWSL for not taking an Olympic break, and the league's COVID-19 procedures. NC recently played shorthanded due to breakthroughs/tracing.

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Averbuch as Interim GM for Gotham FC:

I like it a lot.

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes. I like this as well.

CoachJon repped this.
  7. William49

William49 Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Chicagoland
    From union founder to club executive in record time! :thumbsup: I guess it goes a long way towards explaining why the word "union" has never appeared on the NWSLPA website.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #2208 Cliveworshipper, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    The reason you don’t see the word “Union” is that a players association has more flexibility when it comes to lawsuits and isn’t governed by the NLRA, NLRB, and fair wages act.
    The owners don’t have the protection of union contracts that may be in violation of antitrust laws. One of the big threats players unions have is to decertify and open up a whole can of legal worms.
    It’s also a bargaining chip to actually get CBA signed. Owners would certainly rather deal with a union and the only women’s sports group that is unionized is the national basketball players union, but they have a CBA.
    It’s just a non profit trade association of independent entities. , the same as the NCAA is a business association of University presidents. It has worked pretty well for them.

William49 repped this.
  9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And now, back to our regularly scheduled NWSL season!

Klingo3034 repped this.
  10. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Think the players will all come back soon after or will there be a victory tour of some kind?

11. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is, they won't have the nerve to call it a victory tour. Maybe a medal tour.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Based on a Linehan tweet, I think we're going to throw at least one international window away on a retirement tour.

blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said in one of the USWNT threads, the current CBA requires "victory tour" matches to be within FIFA windows. For the WWC, it's also limited to 4 matches for a gold medal (some negotiation took place for USSF to add the 5th match in 2019). I think the same is true for the Olympics, so, if there is one, it'll be three or less matches given the bronze medal. Personally, I think it might end up being just some friendlies scheduled with the Olympic roster with some as farewell matches, if anyone ends up announcing retirement.

kolabear, CoachJon, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  14. William49

William49 Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Chicagoland
    Thanks for the reply, Clive. The players and their reps. have been talking about unionizing and calling the PA a union for the better part of three years. I took them at their word.

kolabear repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wait, do you mean that, as far as all of the US fans from these boards are concerned, the Olympic tournament has just finished? No-one of you is going to watch the Sweden-Canada final match tomorrow? :eek:

Come on, be a sport!

kolabear and Reign Man repped this.
  16. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm excited and looking foreard to it. Go Canada!

West Ender and blissett repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I actually root for Sweden, but I am also excited for the game and I am additionally excited that other people are excited. :giggle:

Also, despite rooting for Sweden, I actually wouldn't mind Canada winning, as long as it is a good, entertaining game. :)

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I guess it's 8am tomorrow morning instead of 10pm tonight (EDT)? That's doable. I don't know if I'll be able to watch to the end. All depends on whether I need to go to the studio to do some shooting.

blissett repped this.
  19. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting rumor ->

toad455 repped this.
  20. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    lil_one repped this.
  21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or he was actually fired:

MRAD12 and Klingo3034 repped this.
  22. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Bad timing to fire the team and considering they are 3 points just behind the second place team! How about firing at end of the season before reaching conclusions? But considering Barcelona fired their coach who helped the women get a treble including winning Champions League I shouldn’t really complain about this.

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah, I remember it being a question hire because of his youth record... Surprise surprise, that seems to just be his MO.

On one hand, it seems inexplicable to create a false reasoning for a fire/reassignment when it's possible to just say fired/reassigned without giving a reason... But then again, this is the front office that refused to hold a Pride Night for years and even chose to play the national anthem before the players arrived just to rob Rapinoe of taking a knee, so they really don't have a good track record of making good PR decisions.