News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah, off- topic & I’ll shut up after this, but Julia is an very interesting foot note on the evolution of woso; of course her biggest claim to notoriety was 11 years ago when she & four of her u20 team mates appeared in the German version of Playboy magazine, as an way to make extra money & get their names out there for possible future advo/endorsements as there wasn’t much money to be made in pro club back then.
    So woso has gotten more serious since an decade ago, but considering Julia & those other four have retired by age 30 even though they won the u20WC back then, compare to an US u20 team that flopped in 2010 but still had an array of impressive names; the Mewis twins, Dunn, Leroux among others, became so much better players after that(I mean their still in their prime) and all due that the USWNT pays 6 figure salaries to their regulars/shows it’s ultimately comes down to whoever going to spend a little more money on woso

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    CoachJon, blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #2103 Cliveworshipper, Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    Attendance will be going up, at least at Providence. The Thorns announced in an email to season ticket holders that stadium attendance will go to 80% starting June 19, which means season ticket holders get to sit in our own seats for the KC game on the 20th. As it was, we were scrambling for seats around the stadium.

proof of vaccination required, either hard copy or photo ( on your phone ok) of the card.
    Children under 16 exempted.
    No masks required in your seats. They recommend masks a choke points like concessions, indoors, and rest rooms.

attendance will go unrestricted once state vaccination level reaches 70% for those over 16. If that is before June 19, they will reevaluate.
    It’s hard to pin down the numbers for that cohort, but it seems marginally possible. A rough guess puts 20% of the population under 16 and 55.5% of the population has received at least one dose. (Almost All over 16)
    The head of the Oregon Health Authoriy says a ”late June “ date is possible for the 70% fully vaccinated goal for those over 16.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  4. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jjmack, Klingo3034 and blissett repped this.
  5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Uh, okay so that's a biiiiig example of why NWSL needs an actual Homegrown Player rule (and the discovery process is all kinda of FUBAR).

=EDIT=
    Also, maybe a hint that this was a long con by the Reign? Remember from about a month ago:

The question, to me, is how the heck did any of these teams end up at the top of the Discovery order in the first place? None have been close to last place for anything in a while.

West Ender, Klingo3034 and blissett repped this.
  6. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Probably behind the scenes trades going back years? But yes it’s annoying how the Discovery works. So doesn’t matter if you discover a player first somewhere, that person discovered goes to first club in the Discovery list and decide they want the player or not and goes down the list of clubs til one takes her. Does it balances the teams? I don’t know. I mean how did OL Reign get her rights? It’s not like they had interest.

West Ender repped this.
  7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, it is shady, they did it to piss off Portland basically. And the no homegrown thing is mad, you can train a player for years and then she has to play somewhere else. although I am quite sure FIFA rules exist in term of compensation for youth training.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pretty sure the training comp rules specifically exclude the women's game.

sitruc repped this.
  9. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #2109 shlj, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    You are right:

Training compensation shall be paid to a player’s training club(s): (1) when a player is registered for the first time as a professional, and (2) each time a professional is transferred until the end of the calendar year of his 23rd birthday.

The obligation to pay training compensation arises whether the transfer takes place during or at the end of the player’s contract. The provisions concerning training compensation are set out in Annexe 4 of these regulations. The principles of training compensation shall not apply to women’s football.

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    As a complete random aside, I've gone in and updated the SportsClubStats page for NWSL for this year:
    http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/f/NWSL.html

Chances of making the playoffs fall more or less along the actual current standings, but the simulations don't have much faith in Chicago, while they're a bit bullish on Gotham. Other interesting things to note: The Spirit are 2nd in RPI but pretty middling in Strength, while the Courage have an awful RPI but tied for 3rd in Strength.

West Ender and Klingo3034 repped this.
  12. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Chances of making playoffs graph making me cross eyed

blissett repped this.
  13. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    https://www.cbssports.com/nwsl/news...n-munich-chicago-red-stars-racing-louisville/

CBS Sports, Paramount+ to air Women's Cup featuring PSG, Bayern Munich, Chicago Red Stars, Racing Louisville,
    The inaugural edition of the tournament will take place on August 18th and 21st

Paramount+ will be the home of The Women's Cup this August. An inaugural tournament that will feature National Women's Soccer League clubs Racing Louisville FC and Chicago Red Stars, Frauen-Bundesliga champion FC Bayern Munich and Division 1 Féminine champion Paris Saint-Germain.

Paramount+ features more than 1,600 live matches each year, including the NWSL season, which also airs on CBS and CBS Sports Network. The Women's Cup matches will also re-air at a later time on CBS Sports Network.

"Paramount+ is committed to showcasing the world's top clubs across both the men's and women's game, and these four clubs only further elevate the quality of our soccer programming," said Jeffrey Gerttula, executive vice president and general manager of CBS Sports Digital. "Paramount+ continues to be a year-round must-have soccer destination for fans of the game, and we're excited for The Women's Cup to be a part of our growing lineup at CBS Sports."

Noledavey and West Ender repped this.
  14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer Wire
    BREAKING: Former #USWNT coach Jill Ellis to lead San Diego NWSL expansion club, kicking off in Spring 2022

West Ender and Klingo3034 repped this.
  15. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever happened to the LA club?

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You mean Angel City? Still there, just hasn't had much to announce over the past month or so. ACFC and San Diego will be joining NWSL simultaneously.

SD is the re-application of the group previously attempting to expand to Sacramento. The fact that NorCal is now an unclaimed market leaves the door open to the San Jose group to apply without conflict.

West Ender repped this.
  17. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Angel City is joining in 2022 as well.

West Ender repped this.
  18. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. I like that they're adding the teams evenly. I don't like when there's an odd number of teams in the league.

19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the CSA seemingly dragging their feet on creating a women's league, is there a reason on why NWSL isn't looking to expand into Canada? As long as VWFC's and CFM's aren't anywhere near the team, I would think Canada would easily support 3-4 NWSL teams.. Granted, I think Canada could support their own women's league, but it could be a good way to jump start that process.

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #2120 SiberianThunderT, Jun 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Yeah I really don't want the Whitecaps anywhere near WoSo after they dropped their W-League team... (I'm not thrilled about the re-launch of the W-League either because it's clear to me at least that the previous drops are more truthful than the next "excitement" and "ambition" for WoSo from those orgs... but I digress.)

The Whitecaps previously looked into NWSL expansion, but the rules for what counts as a domestic player are geared toward US players, for obvious reasons. Finding a way around that issue for any Canadian team was unable to be resolved at the time, which is why the interest floundered. And honestly, MLS has struggled with this issue ever since TFC joined them, as the status of Canadian players in MLS has apparently been a hodgepodge of very awkward rules that has changed multiple times.

It makes it difficult for any potentially interested Canadian teams to roster-build, s the general issue. At the very least, I don't think NWSL will ever let Canadian teams just blanket consider all Canadian players as domestic (i.e. not counting for int'l slots) since that both makes trading hard and probably runs up against rules allowing for US players to move freely (so that NWSL, a US league, complies with US laws.)

As for using NWSL to jump-start a full, separate Canadian league... No way that happens. NWSL will always be bigger (both in size and monetarily) than anything Canada could put together, so Canadian teams in NWSL would probably not want to leave. Also, NWSL would definitely not want to accept any team if there was even a remote possibility of that team ever voluntarily leaving in the future - contraction is never a good look.

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

As I recall Vancouver was mentioned when the league first started. Canada soccer wanted a team. The whitecaps weren’t so into it.

every couple of years the idea gets trotted out again with the Caps saying they are “ looking into it”. Unless canadasoccer ponies up some money and convinces Canadian players to move back, I don’t see it happening. The marquis for a team there, of course would have been Sinclair and Schmidt, but at this point in their careers I don’t think that likely. Sinclair has spent more years playing soccer in Portland than in Canada.

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah.. What happened at the Whitecaps W-League team is disgusting and they should never see another women's team until they get new ownership.

Eh. I don't see why they couldn't allow Canadian players to count as Domestics for the Canadian teams. The issue with the MLS's roster rules around the Canadian teams is the lack of MLS quality Canadians and MLS has been constantly tweaking the rules for those teams because of that issue. I'm not sure that's the case with Canadian women. They are much closer in quality to American women and it should be possible to field a small number of competitive Canadian teams with Canadians counted as domestics and Americans as internationals.

Not going to disagree with you too strenuously, but if the understanding from the beginning is that they'd join a Canadian league if one were formed, I'm not sure it would be a bad look as it wouldn't really be contraction.

23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While Sinclair isn't likely, Schmidt has a fair number of years left in her career. There's also a number of Canadians playing on other teams that could be "moved" over to a Canadian NWSL club. As you mention, CSA would need to pony up some cash, but its not an insurmountable thing and given Canada's support for the women's game, I would think they'd get good numbers to their games.

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    The West coast IWCC will be played the 18 th and 21st of August with Portland, Houston, Lyon, and Barcelona playing.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/bar...sh-to-play-in-2021/16243zjmbsjy91rn2vl06hpeyu

West Ender repped this.
  25. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The USA with an nine times bigger population only supported 9 NWSL teams until this year, but the expansion Louisville, is in last place. With all the NWSL rules & regulations(drafts, NT & foreign allocations, salary caps, eccedra) it be hard to believe the league would allow an all Canadian team, as well that would the Dash or KC get in return if they had to give Prince or Scott?
    Plus would the Euro based players(Huetima, Beckie, Fleming, Zadorski) give up their probable higher based salaries to come back to the NWSL $52K highest capped salaries?
    It would be an very average one at best, unless it did attract a high number foreigners as well as go way over the $52K salary cap of the NWSL.

Due to CA weather conditions, it would dine played over the summer in direct competition with NWSL(now the Aussie W-League get a fair number of NWSL & Scandinavian players due to them playing in winter(their summer))

Plus to get the X numbers of players for an entire league , you would have to ask a lot of the younger ones to give up college & the education that comes along with it