News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klingo3034 repped this.
  2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Think they are pushing hard for it. Especially Portland.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said earlier, I think that, if Portland thinks she is ready, this will be resolved pretty quickly. There just aren't that many women players who are willing & talented enough to forgo a full (or partially) paid college education for the less than stellar paydays waiting on the women's side. There's not a lot of will to fight this in court for a once-in-a-blue-moon situation.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And Moultrie can't suddenly go back and play college soccer. She's a professional by NCAA standards.

The horse is out of the proverbial barn on this one. Who are they "protecting" at this point.

If the league really wants to have an age limit, they could still allow her into the league and have her grandfathered in if they get the NWSLPA to agree to an age limit in the CBA.

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and you are CORRECT:

Jeff Kassouf
    @JeffKassouf

5m
    The [still mostly mysterious] NWSL Disciplinary Committee was very busy after just one weekend. Kristen Edmunds gets a fine and additional game suspension (so 2). Morgan Weaver's red card is repealed.

6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After today's discipline committee meeting, Edmonds was given an additional game suspension for her actions and Weaver had her red card rescinded.

https://www.nwslsoccer.com/news/article/nwsl-disciplinary-committee-issues-decisions

In other news, Louisville's Jorian Baucom was given a one game suspension, Klingenberg was given a fine for post-game comments, and Gotham and Chicago were given fines for violating league policy.

7. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    https://deadspin.com/olivia-moultri...ting&utm_campaign=dlvrit&utm_content=deadspin

Not the same article but its based on the same argument using the original article as reference.

You probably haven’t heard of Olivia Moultrie. You’re going to, either on the field, or off, or both. And her name has a chance of being associated with massive change of the structure of soccer in the U.S.

Let’s get to the basics. Moultrie is a 15-year-old prodigy. She’s in the Portland Thorns academy, and has suited up for the first team in preseason games, and has played for their U-19 team. She accepted a scholarship offer from college powerhouse North Carolina when she was 11, but put that aside to turn pro and sign deals with the Wasserman Media Group and Nike. She has already played for the U-17 national team at 15. While there are many miles to travel, she could very well be the face of the national team some day.

She would like to play for the Thorns in the NWSL. The Thorns would like that to happen as well. But she can’t. There is an age minimum in the NWSL, much like the one Paige Bueckers is facing with the WNBA. But unlike Bueckers, Moultrie might have a legal avenue to change that. What it could mean for the NWSL, and MLS, is harder to gauge.

Paul Tenorio of The Athletic details the outlook and arguments. Whereas Bueckers would have to work around the CBA in a traditional league, NWSL’s single-entity status makes for murkier waters. As Tenorio details here, the single-entity status has only been taken on once before in court, Fraser vs. MLS, and even then its status as single-entity wasn’t really confirmed. There could be wiggle room.

8. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Why Gotham and Chicago got fined? What league policy?

9. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    West Ender repped this.
  10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Stars were fined for commenting on the investigation into what happened after the Houston game.. The post-game comments from the coach defending the player didn't trigger the fine, but once the investigation was started the team wasn't supposed to comment on it anymore until it was over. I haven't seen any confirmation on this, but Gotham's fine may be in related to the above.

Basically, not a good look for NWSL, tbh.

sitruc, SiberianThunderT and Klingo3034 repped this.
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Deadspin may not be great, but this issue has been circulating around several reputable sources over the past day, e.g. The Athletic article mentioned in the above post.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Deadspin article is a lot of hot air. Unless her parents are global entrepreneurs or hiding EU passports, she isn't going to Europe before 18. Any move she made before then would be very closely scrutinized.

And really... the decision on one 15 year old girl is going to change the way men are developed in the US? Surprised to hear that college soccer and travel teams are the issue that needs to be addressed.

NWSL will find a quick solution if this really gets close to a court. It won't be a huge "single entity" examination.

West Ender repped this.
  13. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't you know single-entity has been the boogeyman for all things nefarious?

Having the most successful women's professional soccer league this country has ever had which the two others predated didn't.

In the end, antitrust lawyers love the limelight and the pay offs (see Jeff Kessler)

Everybody is finding excuses: "We should tear everything down and get rid of single entity!" "NWSL shouldn't be like MLS!"

Whatever. This will be resolved before it hits the courts.

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #1964 Cliveworshipper, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021

Almost. Red , fine, and two game suspension for Edmonds for what the disciplinary committee saw as her aggression, which included hands to the face.
    Red card rescinded and no yellow for Weaver, who the disciplinary committee clearly saw as the victim.

and the captain Klingenberg got fined for her post game comments that referees have to do better and players should feel safe.

no Public Comment yet from the Pro Referees Organization on Chesky’s mishandling of the game. They have commented on less in the past. It also used to be the case that PRO rendered an opinion on referee decisions before the committee ruled. I have no idea if that is still the case

15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I would doubt you will hear further on this from PRO. But we shall see...

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always thought that was (looks over shoulder) the lack of pro/rel.

SiberianThunderT and Doogh repped this.
  17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Just NWSL-adjacent news, but today is the 20th anniversary of the very first WUSA game, Washington Freedom 1-0 Bay Area CyberRays in front of around 34k fans in RFK Stadium.

Cliveworshipper, cpthomas and toad455 repped this.
  18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    the fact that she is on the PRO women’s panel and on the FIFA international list is probably a hindrance to an open discussion of her role.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Holding a FIFA badge hasn't been a barrier to PRO calling out one of their own in the past.

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Well, it’s crickets on proreferee.com so far.

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Less than a month before the "Regular Season" is supposed to start and still no NWSL schedule.:(

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Last time I asked someone at one of the clubs, they didn't even have a preliminary schedule, but that was a few weeks ago.

For scheduling purposes, I often get wind of schedule stuff of in advance, but I've heard nothing. But then I haven't asked in a couple of weeks. With all the other leagues' schedules out, any stadium conflicts should be settled. I wonder if CBS, and the possibility of games on national TV, creating some delays.

CoachJon and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    With France and Germany not involved in a potential Olympic Football Tournament, this is actually big for the Reign.

And as someone who basically spent 8 days with the team at the WICC 2019 tournament I have to say both of these are fantastic women. I really enjoyed my time with OL, and I didn't think they were going to let me stop taking photos after they won. Some day I'll have to pull some shots from the celebration.

CoachJon, blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    20 days out - no schedule. This is getting ridiculous.

sitruc and SiberianThunderT repped this.