News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone care to try and explain how this warrants matching reds???

1380743547360579590 is not a valid tweet id

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Contact to the head would be my guess. After they are running up the field following the bodyslam, the player in black appears to make contact with the player in white’s head as she’s pushing her away. The player in white then retaliates with her own head strike.

blissett repped this.
  3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland is appealing their red, gotta think it will be overturned. If I had to guess the referee was not in a great position expecting a last second attempt on the counter and had to guess what happened.

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

While I'm not sure how well-thought-out Louisville's idea was when first launched, it's still confirmed, and we'll have four UEFA teams in the US in August this year instead of the three we've had with previous ICCs. PSG looks to keep their streak of US-based friendly tournaments alive.

CoachJon, Klingo3034 and West Ender repped this.
  5. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Yellow for Weaver in body blocking or shielding but ball was long gong before that happened and red for Edmonds punching or having her hand at Weavers face.

6. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Isn’t this the number 8 teams that we asked for?

7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It can't be easily seen from this angle (that I guess is the only one we can get), but I've got the feeling that Weaver had her hands at Edmonds' face too, although just for a short moment and in a less spectacular way. If you look at the replay, when Weaver gratuitously blocks Edmonds by grabbing her by her arm/shoulder, Edmonds' head tilts a little to her right: I guess she hit her face and it was one of the things that triggered Edmonds' reaction, along with the fact that it had always been Weaver who had intitiated contact, both during the scrum next to the corner flag and afterwards.

Edmonds' RC was surely well deserved, but it's not like Weaver was "innocent" and I guess she deserved red too. Even the fact that she fouled Edmonds when the ball was far away and by directly and deliberatedly aiming to the player, was, alone and it itself, a RC-worthy offense, in my opinion.

sitruc and Klingo3034 repped this.
  8. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    My judgement: Edmonds gets a red card for the body slam and suspension for a second game for the hand to the face.

Weaver? I see her as defending herself. Give her a yellow for her push of Edmonds, after being body-slammed.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well first, "we" didn't ask for eight specifically anywhere. Second, these are two separate tournaments, so the fact that there are eight total between them doesn't mean much.

We've known (or at least expected) for a long time that there would be two tournaments, so eight total was basically going to be the minimum; the eight talked about earlier was a reflection of ICC wanting to expand year over year to make their tournament more interesting, because each team only playing two games isn't that interesting. Basically, if ICC was able to expand like they had hoped, we would have seen them with at least 8 and Louisville with at least four, for a total of at least 12.

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well this was not a fun find this morning:
    https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/4...der-sarah-gorden-accusations-racial-profiling

Gotta say that this Dash statement really, REALLY misses the point and is getting rightly ratioed.

sitruc and msilverstein47 repped this.
  11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great catch, I totally agree with you, but if the referee was closer to the scrum she could have seen what Weaver was up. An obstruction call against Weaver and you have none of this complete foolishness. I still don't agree with a red to Weaver, but you make your point well.

blissett repped this.
  12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    League must immediately come out and say (AGAIN) that any racial profiling in any way, shape or form is totally unacceptable and in fact, un-American. Keep saying it from the mountain-top until one day we might see some change.

Reign Man repped this.
  13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PRO’s response to the red cards:

blissett and Reign Man repped this.
  14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess it really depends on what your definition is of a "violent charge". This smells of PRO tying to justify a wrong decision.

15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1940 cpthomas, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    What I think of is, suppose the two were chasing a ball and there was the contact that initially occurred (after the corner scrum was over) between Weaver and Edmonds. Would it have been a foul called on Weaver? Would it have been a yellow card issued to Weaver? Would it have been a straight red card issued to Weaver? I think the answers likely would be maybe, probably not, and no.

So, is the rule different when the players are starting back down field chasing the play? If so, how different?

I guess we will find out from the appeal.

Another question: Has anyone re-looked at the play where Charlie got her initial yellow card? She got her foot to the ball about a foot or two before Rowland got there. Rowland came in upper body first and took a blow somewhere, it is hard to tell but could have been her face. Is there a rule that the player must give way to the keeper even if the player gets to the ball first? I think this is the yellow card Parsons was unhappy about, which he expressed on the second yellow to Charlie (thus red), getting himself a red.

Interestingly, the discussion on the referee forum about the red to Weaver is along the lines of the ref let the game get out of control, should have called a foul during the scrum in the corner, and thus would have avoided the ending fiasco. Also, she should have stayed there until the players cleared and let one of the ARs worry about what was going on farther up the field, since the corner where the scrum took place was across the entire field from the AR responsible for that half of the field. Those are interesting refereeing nuances, to me.

16. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh... it was an off the ball charge.. There was no reason for Weaver to run into Edmonds like that, but as mentioned above... The ref should have called a foul on the bodyslam, which would have avoided the whole situation..

17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I keep being persuaded that Weaver hit Edmonds' face too, as difficult as it is to see that from the only angle we have. And if the AR, who was closer, saw that, then the RC for Weaver is fully justified.

I tend to believe that, when she awkwardly grabbed Edmonds' arm and shoulder (and by the way I keep believing that such a totally off-the-ball charge was fully RC sanctionable in itself: writing that it was just "maybe" a foul sounds ridiculous to me), Weaver also hit (as shortly and unwillingly as you want) Edmonds' face too.
    If you think about it, there is also a psychological hint of that (although I sure don't want to "sell" it as a prove): the fact that Edmonds wanted to retaliate by putting her hand to Weaver's face is an indication that probably it was what she felt had been done to her: when you retaliate, you instinctively tend to follow the old "an eye for an eye" adage, by trying to do to others what you feel they've done to you.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but AR2 was way across the pitch, we've seen the replay many times and we still can't be totally certain what exactly took place. I still think the referee crew guessed on the call.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    How could an AR possibly be closer?

The AR2 at that end of the field is nearly 75 yards away on the other side of the field. The AR1 on that side is at best at the midfield line, which is likely a good 50 yards away with a technical area and who knows what between the incident.

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Dash official follow-up:

Better, but it still sounds to me like they're avoiding actually naming the problem here - whether it was intentional or not.

21. CrankyDefender

Apr 24, 2014
    I would truly love for the Rose City Riveters to explain this statement to Jaelene Hinkle Daniels:
    "We support the athletes in the NWSL, & condedemn the targeted harrassment of players."

AndyMead repped this.
  22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, not the best track record in that regard. If they wanted to support Sarah Gordon, they could've found a less hypocritical way of saying so.

Reign Man repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AndyMead repped this.
  24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien