News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Don't they provide it? I remember Skyblue FC provided bad housing for the team and they didn't like it and it ruined its reputation. Think they also share a car.

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I was meaning that one should not think just about salary in considering player compensation. Benefits should be included too -- back then, for Sky Blue, housing being less than ideal to put it mildly.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Uh, no.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  5. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #1857 SiberianThunderT, Mar 9, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Kassouf
    @JeffKassouf

46m
    Australia's W-League was once the unofficial offseason home of NWSL players (and there was nearly a formal relationship at one point). Now, both leagues have shifted schedules to overlap even more. That leaves Mallory Weber as the only NWSL player on loan there this season

West Ender repped this.
  9. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
  10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  11. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Might be a major TV deal.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    All-Star Game against FAWSL?

Reign Man repped this.
  13. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good idea actually.

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #1864 SiberianThunderT, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    Just from my experience with anime & video game fans picking apart any details they can from any announcement, "changing the game" sounds like an alteration to an existing something rather than an addition of something, and maybe something that affects on-field stuff more than off-field, though that latter guess is less certain. So it's probably not a new competition or an expansion team (both additions), though it could be that they've agreed to the Sacramento-San Diego shift. A new TV deal sounds similarly unlikely, though a buff to the existing deal is possible. Also could be upgrading the NWSLPA to a more official status. The picture itself also seems to be in a facility of sorts, so it could be something about facilities and player support, too.

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    For the record, NWSL had also announced news for today at 11am ET in addition to more news tomorrow at 11am. Today's news was that Nationwide has been added as a league sponsor, with several side goals:
    https://www.nwslsoccer.com/news/article/nationwide-joins-nwsl-as-official-league-partner
    Emphases mine; I'm looking forward to a league awards ceremony! Maybe taking place the evening before or after the final, so that finals week is more of an "event"?

msilverstein47 and toad455 repped this.
  16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I want the regular Season Schedule so that I can start making my summer plans.

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hehheh schedule would be nice! Probably won't come out for another week or two at least, though; regular season is starting relatively late this year. Certainly wouldn't be the "game-changing" announcement tomorrow.

18. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Since they said game changing, I'm thinking goal line tech and VAR.

AndyMead, blissett and toad455 repped this.
  19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The thing with goal line tech and VAR is they're both very facility-dependent; you need to have the cameras and data bandwidth to support both systems. I'm not sure if every NWSL stadium meets the necessary support levels. Granted, as I noted earlier, the announcement looks like a facility-related thing*, so maybe? MLS already uses VAR, so the fact that many teams share stadiums would make it seem somewhat reasonable; question is how the non-shared stadiums would do.

*NWSL made a previous version of the same announcement Tweet whose picture also was definitely in a stadium of some sorts, or at least what looked like a large-capacity building. So there's that.

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So the game-changing announcement is that NWSL is adding another partner in Ally bank. Apparently the "game-changing" part is that players will be getting paid extra by Ally, i.e. this partnership is a supplement to their NWSL (or USWNT) salaries, I believe.

59Amerinorsk and West Ender repped this.
  21. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    It's great that the league now has two more big sponsors/partners, but I was hoping for something else with these announcements this week.

22. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Still good news. Encourage more players overseas to come or stay. Same for domestic players.

59Amerinorsk, West Ender and toad455 repped this.
  23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #1873 SiberianThunderT, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    While it didn't receive as much hype as the other two announcements, NWSL continued with news yesterday by officially codifying its stance on transgender participation in the league:
    https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...0210401-jrtabo4lhveglm4fixcw4c7bka-story.html
    The policy is not 100% inclusive as it does set testosterone level limited for transitioning athletes, and it specifically only explicitly discusses male-female-binary transitions i.e. does not directly acknowledge nonbinary athletes (e.g. RGN's Quinn), but at first glance, I think it's still pretty open? The testosterone level set is 5x the typical upper limit for cisgender women and marginally above the typical lower limit for cisgender men (it's the IOC testosterone level, thankfully not the IAAF level). It was also approved by the NWSLPA, so it sounds(?) like most players are on board with it, at least as a first step.

That said, seems like many people don't like setting testosterone limits at all, as many find it a bit dehumanizing, soooo... IDK?

24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say it is dehumanizing, per se, but rather using testosterone as the sole thing to apply a limit to doesn't accurately account for natural variation and that testosterone is not the only thing that accounts for better athleticism of athletes. It's also something that generally ends up only being applied to trans/non-binary people. As an example, it is possible for cis-women to have higher testosterone than the lower limit for cis-men, so does that mean NWSL will require a cis-woman in that situation to take drugs to limit her testosterone production, or will they say it is okay since their high-T is "natural", or will that only be enforced against trans-women/non-binary/intersex.

25. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    What happens when a 6 foot tall, 180 pound former male who previously competed on men's teams as a sprinter and talented soccer player, declares that they want to play in the NWSL?

Said person after hormone treatments which meet requirements for identification as a female, is still bigger, stronger, and faster than the most elite woman player, aren't they?