News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Follow-up X-post: Meg Linehan on Twitter reporting that Harrington is out as part of the overall investigation into Utah Soccer Holdings' work culture, with apparently multiple inappropriate comments to staff (but not to/at/about players).

sitruc repped this.
  2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And after the post-game media availability, there's still no new info, probably because its a part of the ongoing investigation. Amy Rodriguez says she was instructed not to comment, and LePeilbet deflected the questions. I feel like this is NOT a situation of "no news is good news."

blissett repped this.
  3. Chris Mahr

Chris Mahr New Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Mar 6, 2019
    Men like this screw it up for every man who coaches in the women's game. It now becomes impossible for a male to be hired onto the coaching staff and were all painted as sexist pigs.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Not really. The criticism is often the lack of women coaching and on staff in the NWSL, US soccer and elsewhere.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1630 MRAD12, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Wow, I am shocked to have read what is going on in Utah and involving Craig Harrington. As a Red Stars season ticket holder I have talked to him briefly on a couple occasions at STH events and took him as a nice, respectful, easy going guy. I am very surprised to read that he is part of this investigation.

Who knows how far the tentacles of this investigation may reach. In my opinion, if there is an investigation into Harrington's behavior in Utah, there is no way the people, especially if they are league officials undergoing this investigation, will not contact Red Stars players and staff that were there during his tenure. Once something like this is unearthed and the can is opened, lots of worms may come out. I hate to see this infect this fragile league. But if it exists, no matter where, it must be rooted out. This is not the 50s and not the good-ole-boys club. You act professional at your job.

Also and just a side comment, I am not a big fan of the screaming and cursing coaches anymore in professional ranks. Professional players should be treated and respected with dignity like any employee at any job. If they don't perform, you let them go, not belittle them.
    In my opinion the old school screaming and cursing coach should be in the same category as the dinosaur, but unfortunately they still exist and are tolerated.

I am all for rooting out sexism, racism, intolerance and abuse of players or staff and/or anyone associated with any team in this league all the way down to the ticket person who scans your ticket at the gate.

Right now we only know what we have read on twitters, blogs, and clips but it will be very interesting to see how far and where this investigation goes.

cpthomas, blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I second this part 100%. I remember when Richie Burke was brought on as the Spirit coach with some controversy, as players from the boys' teams he used to coach had come forward saying he was somewhat abusive. Hearing him howling his lungs out at the two Segra games this past month made me mighty uncomfortable....

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, not really.

8. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Klingo3034 repped this.
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  11. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    https://equalizersoccer.com/2020/10...ounces-club-name-additional-owners-nwsl-2022/

More details about Los Angeles NWSL team:

-Angel City FC is the official name
    -New investors include Billie Jean King, Candace Parker and Lindsey Vonn
    -Natalie Portman announced this news on The Tonight Show! Yay for more publicity and promotion of the league.
    -A handful of new co-owners including ex-athletes and media personalities
    -Will begin play in 2022 season
    -Tentative color scheme appears to be salmon and peachy-orange, but official logo and colors to be unveiled next year.
    -No details yet on stadium. You'd think with this amount of money and celebrities behind the team, they will pony up for a new SSS stadium.

McSkillz, 59Amerinorsk, blissett and 3 others repped this.
  12. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Stadiums are expensive I’m sure. Better to use a large current one like LA Galaxy or something.

Reign Man and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  13. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money and celebrity don't make land appear by magic. Just ask NYCFC.

Klingo3034, Reign Man and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  14. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    We have two stadiums in LA. And this team is coming out in 2022 obviously you can't build a new stadium in just 2 years so these are the options. Los Angeles FC Banc of California stadium or the LA Galaxy stadium the Dignity Health.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Banc of Cal stadium reminds me a little of the Stade Oceane in Le Havre, where the USWNT played a game in the 2019 World Cup. (Hard to believe that was only 16 months ago. 2020 has been quite a decade.

McSkillz and Klingo3034 repped this.
  16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Those aren't the only two choices.

17. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the looks of the logo I’m fully expecting jerseys similar to the KC Wiz.

Maybe like IMG_5959.JPG

Or

IMG_5960.JPG

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Care to share the additional choices? Are there any suitable fields on local college campuses? UCLA, maybe?

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Worth the plug: NWSL write-up of their "season" this year. https://www.nwslsoccer.com/news/article/nwsl-completes-record-breaking-2020-competitive-schedule

Unsurprisingly, having seven games on broadcast CBS accounted for the seen most-watched games in league history. Maybe more importantly, social media mentions of the league are up over 150% and professional media mentions are up over 50%!

Hopefully the expansion draft, maybe a new expansion announcement, and a prompt announcement on how they plan to start the 2021 season can keep attention on NWSL from flagging too much this offseason.

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Okay so I know that NWSL *as a league* probalby doesn't have the resources to pull off a major partnership like this, but it still feels weird: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...rgest-all-girls-youth-soccer-organization-usa

*several individual NWSL clubs are participating in the Girls' Academy system, and of course some have WPSL teams too

As a side comment, do I have to mention how UTTERLY IDIOTIC it is that the two STL-based GA teams are in different conferences???

21. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd prefer "or something" please, you know right next to the coliseum?;):whistling:

Klingo3034 repped this.
  22. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Sadly Portland Thorns Academy joined ECNL.

23. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  24. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Or this.[​IMG]

McSkillz repped this.