News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah, game wasn’t bad, dominated by both teams what seems to be the current trend; high presses designed to force errors on opposing defenses & mids, and then the quick transition to take advantage of the turnovers. Since CRS looked exhausted after while, you got to think the Dash had their players better planned & conditioned for their press.

Like you, I don’t watch that much broso, but seemed like that’s what was happening at the men’s 2018 WC, as the previous famed styles like Spain’s tiki taca & Jorgie’s total futebol concept were disasters/or gave way to the forced errors/then quick counters concept

luvdagame repped this.
  2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting more fans and viewers is not going to be fixed by changing the rules of competition or not following FIFA laws. Not following them would make the NWSL look less than professional, and would be a way for potential male fans to dismiss the league as well (i.e. "these women can't even compete under the normal rules"). The problem is not that woso in the US, generally speaking, isn't exciting enough, or skilled enough, or whatever. (There were a couple snoozers in this tournament, but they also were the equivalent of preseason games.) It's more a question of marketing than the rules of competition.

blissett, Reign Man and CoachJon repped this.
  3. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #1603 Smallchief, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Here are the 2020 draftees who played the most in the challenge cup.

1. Weaver (Por) -- 424 minutes (No. 2 draftee)
    2. Sanchez (Was) -- 357 (No. 4)
    3. Merrick (NC) -- 315 (No. 28! Impressive.)
    4. Del Fava (UT) -- 297 (No. 12)
    5. Jacobs (Was) -- 148 (No. 13)
    6. Viens (SB) -- 137 (No. 5)
    7. Morse (Chi) -- 101 (No. 19)
    8. Bingham (Chi) -- 91 (No. 15)
    9. Stevens (Chi) -- 90 (No. 24)
    10. King (UT) -- 88 (No. 8)

4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1604 hotjam2, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    this group doesn't inspire much confidence in the USWNT's future; Weaver couldn't really take the place of the missing Tobin Heath.

Sanchez is entertaining with her fancy dribbling but coming down the left side, always seems to cut to the right, take an aimless 'cracker' of a shot, that usually wither bounces off a defender or goes way wide. now look in compariosn with the German sensation 18 year old named Klara Buhl, who scors the game winner vs England at Wembley last November; she cuts to the left, confusing the experienced ENG captain, Steph Houghton & the GK, with a perfectly aimed shot
    Klara Bühl - Der 2:1-Siegtreffer der DFB-Frauen gegen England - YouTube

thankly the rookies are just from one class(2020) & at least our u20 suqad looked really good this time/or at least at Concacaf(this would be a smattering of sophs, freshman's & high schoolers)

btw.........what ever happened to Taylor Kornieck of Colorado U(class of 2020) she's a mid that stands over 6ft/dominated play last season vs defending champs, Florida St

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Let's not forget that the player who's very likely the most promising one of the bunch (and 1st pick of her class), Sofia Smith, is out injured: I've seen her play when I was in France for U-20 WWC 2018 and I am persuaded she's just a different class from most of her peers.

CoachJon repped this.
  6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let us not forget that on the play that put favorite Courage out of the tournament, Weaver beat Merrick and scored.

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I thought there was a "the NWSL and racism" thread around here, but maybe I'm thinking of something in the USWNT forum or something... Hence just dropping it here in General News for now.

Anyway, Real Salt Lake and Utah Royals owner Del Loy Hansen opened his mouth earlier this week with disdain for the RSL players deciding to strike a game in respect to all the shit going down in Kenosha, WI, saying he felt personally offended by the players, like they stabbed him in the back, and that he was questioning his commitment to running RSL because of it.

That's bad enough, but in opening his mouth, it sounds like past/current players/staff notified the league of apparent past racist behavoir by the owner, which caused MLS and subsequently NWSL to open an investigation into DLH.

https://www.rsl.com/post/2020/08/28/utah-soccer-statement
    https://equalizersoccer.com/2020/08...-dell-loy-hansen-after-allegations-of-racism/

Will be, uh, interesting to see how this all plays out.

On a related note, there was an article in AllForXI the other days about how NWSL has fallen behind other leagues in supporting racial equality issues. This new development will be a big test of Baird & the league.

https://www.allforxi.com/2020/8/27/21403983/nwsl-lags-far-behind-wnba-social-justice-efforts
    https://www.allforxi.com/2020/8/27/...n-racist-statements-must-leave-ownership-nwsl

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Dell Loy Hansen is stepping away from day to day duties for a while

9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my earlier comments in the other thread, I was more willing to give Hansen the benefit of the doubt for his comments on the podcast...heat of the moment and all that. But, I just read the Athletic article about Hansen's history, and if the investigation substantiates any of it, then I firmly hope that Hansen is out for good (while also hoping for another group to be ready to come in and buy the team). Good riddance.

For those who don't have access to the Athletic, first, you should subscribe. But, to give the highlights of the article (or lowlights, I guess), he allegedly has used the n-word in front of other front office staff, has talked about lynching a black player, once asked a Black agent (while speaking English) "Is that how you speak African?", among other racist comments.

10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hansen is starting the process of selling:

I should also mention that I first saw this tweet with a response from JJ Watt saying he was interested.

toad455 and blissett repped this.
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  12. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When are they going to announce a schedule for this Fall Series? The supposed start of it is only six days away.

13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When they officially announced it on August 25, they said the schedule would be announced "in the next week." So, I'm expecting it to drop tomorrow, or possibly Tuesday.

And there is an unofficial schedule out there (possibly waiting on venue confirmation or something to be official?):

EDIT: X-posting unofficial schedule to Fall series thread.

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heeligan2 repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It was quite obvious but thanks for the correction. :)

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And now Carroll is taking leave, too:

Hopefully it becomes permanent.

Reign Man and blissett repped this.
  20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Speaking of teams being sold...

It sounds like the Dynamo are on the verge or being sold and rebranded, as reported by the Athletic sometime yesterday. I haven't seen any chatter as to what this might mean for the Dash yet. I don't have an Athletic subscription, but for anyone who does, there might be more info in the article itself:
    https://theathletic.com/2055205/2020/09/09/

Honestly, the Dynamo's branding has nothing to do with their poor presence in Houston. The team used to have great attendance, five years in a row above 19k, but it's dwindled in recent years as management has become complacent and/or apathetic. Obviously the Dash have seen similar attendance issues.

Brener leaving seems like a good idea in that sense but I would think keeping the branding would be more likely to get fans back than starting from scratch.

blissett repped this.
  21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You probably haven't seen any chatter because in the article the only direct comment on the Dash is that it is unclear if and/or how the Dash would be involved in a sale. ;)

blissett repped this.
  22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Geez, well that's helpful...
    /s
    :ROFLMAO:

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm sad it's a Challenge Cup set and not a 2020 set for purely selfish reasons - namely, if as the name would indicate I won't get any royalties as I am not one of the two league/ISI photographers at the Challenge Cup (and most/all of the photos will be officially license through the league's agency). But hopefully it's a good sign for 2021. I better be on my "A" game tomorrow!

CoachJon, sitruc, Reign Man and 2 others repped this.
  25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Significant enough news to X-post from the pbp thread:
    At the beginning of the Portland-Utah game, it was announced that Amy LePeilbet has been named Utah's interim head coach after Harrington and his assistant coach were placed on an administrative leave of absence. No news yet on why.

sitruc, SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.