News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah that's pretty damn sweet. I miss the majority-gold, but those mountains are a great design!
    To be fair, blue was always in Utah's color palette, and has been their primary's shorts color both years; this is just the first time it's be *so* prominent in the tops as well. At least there are multiple shades of blue in the league, and good mixes to help distinguish them further...

I think the only comparable one at the moment to Utah's primary is NC's primary. Chicago has a two-tone of medium and light blue, the Spirit also have their blue-and-red stripes, Houston's light blue is only in highlights as they're sticking with orange & white mostly, same with Orlando focusing on purple+white, TBD with Sky Blue, and especially TBD with OL Reign and their rebrand. But yeah, that's 8/9 teams with some shade of blue in their color schemes. But it's been like that for years - POR and the old WNY are the only two teams in NWSL's history to never have blue in their crests, while the rest have always included blue. Red, orange, yellow, green, brown, grey, and pink are all under-represented or not represented at all.

blissett repped this.
  2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure this is the new Reign jersey, but maybe its not an official announcement since they're not on sale yet (no idea what the secondary will be though):

Rumor on twitter is that the primary jersey for Sky Blue will be a light shade of blue...sky blue, if you will.

blissett repped this.
  3. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    jjmack repped this.
  4. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    [​IMG]
    Old Reign kit from 2017.

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for the logo. Was this their secondary jersey then? I honestly don't remember. Maybe they're keeping the secondary jersey the same, or maybe they just photoshopped it to announce the schedule.

6. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  7. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    [​IMG] They lucky to get that many sponsors in Swedish League.

[​IMG]

blissett repped this.
  8. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That is last year's away kit.
    They may play in the white kit, but it's not new.

They have been hinting at a new kit and new colors.
    I'm disappointed by all the change at Reign,
    but also i am tired of every team playing in blue.

lil_one and blissett repped this.
  9. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
  10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're starting to get more info that makes it look like the tournament is it for the season (see full thread):
    -No postseason/playoffs
    -No NWSL awards for 2020
    -"The only way [NWSL] plays a regular season is if there is a path to open the stadium to [large number of] fans, and that's pretty low." That's close to nil, I'd say.

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Makes sense.

In terms of the awards, at least, I hope the rules for allocation money are relaxed for 2021 so that they represent the two previous full seasons as opposed to the last 24mo.

Reign Man repped this.
  12. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    yeah, wasn't really expecting anything but the Challenge Cup this year. Prep for 2021 with the addition of Louisville and possible further expansion for 2022.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That makes no sense. Double spending is akin to what almost killed the NHL in the early aughts and let to two long work stoppages (including losing the entire 2004-05 season) to get the finances back into line.

You can't double spend in one year, then slash salaries the next. That doesn't happen in the real world on a plan.

Not only that, if there were changes it would be a reduction in allocation funds as teams are losing a ton more money this year than they do in a normal season.

The good news is that it's a sign that the league is stronger, and the teams are healthier than their counterparts just a few years ago.

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #1514 SiberianThunderT, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Uh what? I wasn't advocating for double spending at all... I think you massively misunderstood what I was saying. (I said two previous full seasons vs last 24mo - either way it was two seasons' worth of games, so I wasn't saying to pay players for two seasons' worth in one season. I wasn't even talking about salary amounts at all.)

One of the possible qualifications for using allocation money to increase a player's compensation is that they've won an NWSL award in the past 24mo. (Other possible qualification include previously being a subsidized player, being on an NT in the past 24mo, etc.) My qualm was that not having any awards in 2020 despite having a "season" (cup, w/e) means that avenue for qualifying for allocation money considerations is halved in 2021 unless they relax that qualification method.

I wasn't saying anything about how much teams spend on players - I was saying that they should tweak eligibility rules to make up for the fact that one of those eligibility avenues is getting short-changed by the lack of awards one year. That is, keep the eligible player pool size consistent.

Reign Man repped this.
  15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well I'll eat my words... The Spirit have largely shelved the red in their tops in favor of grey (or grey-blue?) as the second stripe color

Klingo3034 repped this.
  16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So.. How many non-blue teams are there in NWSL now? It seems like a lower number than the teams with blue...

Reign Man, lil_one and blissett repped this.
  17. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Didn't know they were sponsored by CVS.

18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1518 CoachJon, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    I just saw Sky Blue's black with sky blue lighting bolts - I like it.

With this year's splash of kits, it seems a sign of arrogance that the NC Courage went with a very plain navy kit - I kind of like that. In order of preference for me this year are: 1. URFC blue with the Wasatch Mtns and gold shorts, 2. POR black rose, 3. CHI Neighborhood

I like last year's WAS red better than this year's blue with stripes; ORL feathers are cute, but meh; HOU is doing better with their orange and blue combos, but this year's kit doesn't make me turn my head; I like the SBFC black, but I think the sky blue socks take away from it; I can't remember what the OLR kit looks like (it might seem and odd choice for me, but I did really like the neon yellow).

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who haven't seen it:

I like it, too, and others agree: the Sky Blue merch website went down for a bit, but I think its back up now.

CoachJon repped this.
  20. William49

William49 Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Chicagoland
    CoachJon repped this.
  21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feels like that to me, too. On primary jerseys, its actually tied:
    Shade of blue: NC Courage, Chicago Red Stars, Washington Spirit, Utah Royals
    Other color: Portland Thorns, Houston Dash, Sky Blue, Orlando Pride

We don't know about the Reign yet though, but blue is in their crest, so it's possible.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ...you didn't read the quoted part of my previous post, did you? :p

blissett repped this.
  23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I wouldn't really count Sky Blue as "other". The electric blue stripes look good up close, but those on black look very similar to all of the other dark-blue-dominant jerseys out there.

24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would have interfered with my snark. ;)

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Not only do the Spirit have a big new shirt sponsor, but so do the Red Stars:
    https://www.hottimeinoldtown.com/20...go-red-stars-land-meijer-as-new-shirt-sponsor
    This is part of a nice overall trend toward a big on-boarding of sponsorships, both league-wide and team-specific:
    https://www.allforxi.com/2020/6/26/21304191/nwsl-is-back-with-brand-overload

Granted, it's easy to sponsor teams/leagues for a one-month tournament, but hopefully establishing these sponsorships now means keeping them on for full-year competition next year.

Klingo3034 and CoachJon repped this.