News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lateral collateral ligament.

2. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    This is the beginning of the end of the NWSL.
    As it fades away and leads to be a bigger and brighter league .... the MPSL

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    More on the potential FCKC sale:

And no, Baer isn't involved with the Loons, to the best of my knowledge (after several searches on Google/Twitter/etc.). But it looks like moving FCKC to the Twin Cities isn't likely.

sitruc repped this.
  4. JamieMCFC

JamieMCFC Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Minnesota United FC
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct he isn't involved with the MNUFC ownership group.

5. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Interestingly his company owns Yeadon Fabric Domes which makes sports air domes. Wonder if he sees cross promotion with this. They list "United States Soccer Inc" as a client which I think means USSF as those are the only results I see.

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Nice article from the Kansas City Star, giving a ton more details about Baer, his current status with the purchase, and some of the nastiness among the current ownership group:
    http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/fc-kansas-city/article108823457.html
    Baer has already attended two FCKC matches from this past season, and reiterates that he has no intentions of moving the team.

kernel_thai and lil_one repped this.
  7. Fracas

Fracas Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Tulsa, OK USA
    Good read

8. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Just got my STH letter from the Red Stars with this interesting passage:

"We expect the number of home games at Toyota Park to expand to 12 or more .... If you act before we finalize our match calendar and we play more than 12 games, the other games are yours as a bonus...".

Obviously no World Cup or Olympic break next year... but still intriguing... 10 teams? balanced schedules??

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    12 home games = 24 games total, which would not go balanced between 9 (10-1) opposing teams. You could, in theory, do a 10-team balanced schedule with playing every opponent 3 times, but then you run in to the issue that no three-game series will be truly balanced in the home-away sense, as well as having some teams host 14 home games while other only get 13. (Which might not be a wholly bad idea in the "league average attendance" sense if the five teams hosting the extra game were POR, ORL, HOU, SEA, and WAS - but that's a different issue.)

Now, I think having a 24-game schedule that's 3opp*2g + 6opp*3g wouldn't be bad at all... But that's up for debate. Or maybe even a 26-game schedule where you player everyone 3g except for a single opponent that's only 2g.

Anyway, the bigger story I see from this is that NWSL apparently feels that having a longer season across the calendar is not prohibitive from an operational or financial standpoint. It means that at least some teams are okay with the added expenses of 2+ extra home games or an extra month of player salaries. The latter of which should be obvious just based on this past season - even NWSL wasn't playing during the Olympic break, the players were still being paid for that time - so I think the former is the bigger story, at least from the tidbit given by CHI*.

*Of course, this could just mean that CHI likes TP and plans to hold extra games, e.g. friendlies, even if the NWSL schedule doesn't expand. But that's much less likely, I bet.

10. Fracas

Fracas Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Tulsa, OK USA
    Games against UWS?

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Unless the Red Stars Reserves switch from WPSL to UWS, I kinda doubt it; while I'm sure UWS would love the publicity of interdivision games, I don't see how NWSL teams would agree to that, except as preseason matches.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Or to fatten the field if they tried to add a cup system

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    oooo I hadn't thought about a cup...
    Though I can't think of how they guarantee more than one extra home game with an added cup... Heck, a cup shouldn't even guarantee one extra home game to begin with.

14. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Or maybe there is going to be a preseason tournament like Portland had last year? That would be exciting - although Chicago weather in March/April, not so much.

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, I did consider preseason in response to Fracas' UWS suggestion, but I agree it's unlikely. Heck, I think fans would revolt if the only way to buy a season ticket package was to pay for preseason games

16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jen Cooper (host of Mixxed Zone podcast) has uploaded some WoSoCo 2.0 sessions to youtube. Here's a couple that are related to US women's professional leagues (not just NWSL, but WUSA and WPS):

The Nerd-off between Dan Lauletta and Jen Cooper (covering professional US woso trivia):

Dan Lauletta on all three of the WUSA finals:

BlueCrimson and sitruc repped this.
  18. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Ive been meaning to watch the WUSA Founders Cup video. I attended the first one in Boston but honestly dont really recall a lot about it besides rooting for the Cyberrays because Tisha Venturini played for them and Boston wasnt in it.

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's one more WoSoCo 2.0 video. This one is a Q&A session with Jen Cooper and Dan Lauletta in which they answer questions about NWSL expansion, MLS's relationship with woso, pre-determined championships locations, health of the NWSL, and more:

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Speaking of Cooper, Backline Soccer did NWSL awards and the Dash team got best broadcast.

http://backlinesoccer.com/the-2016-backline-soccer-nwsl-awards/

21. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Looking at the stats for 2016, I see that Christie Rampone played every minute of every game. Age 41. Amazing.

So, I'm too lazy to figure it out: who is the second oldest player in the NWSL?

22. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Barnhart most likely? Anyone else I could think of is younger than her.

23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC