News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #3126 SiberianThunderT, Mar 21, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    Remember that visibility =/= attendance. That's specifically why I focused on the playoffs in my post. People are well aware of the teams even if they aren't attending each week. (Special events in general, like this new Cup, will get people that don't go weekly.) Also, the previous year of LMFX playoffs drew better than last fall.

Besides, even if LMXF gets about 1/5 of what NWSL does on average, it's still a top three league worldwide for average attendance - only FAWSL exists between NWSL and LMXF, and there's a big drop to #4 after that. (In fact, LMXF outdrew FAWSL for most of the two's existence, with FAWSL only recently seeing an attendance bump.) That's not "nearly invisible" by any means.

blissett and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  2. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Did it? From what I'm seeing the Fall of 22 was a major outlier for them. Spring 23 averaged 12675 and that was inflated due to the 2nd leg of the final have 58156 show up, meaning the first 13 playoff games averaged 9177. Fall 22 saw a 19298 average for the playoffs. Spring 22 saw 10065 with 40462 for the final, so the first 13 averaged 7727.

Being top 3 isn't impressive when the numbers are so low. There's certainly room to grow, but if nobody is watching most of the time then the league is nearly invisible even if they're doing better than others. A few of the teams still only have Facebook broadcasts in Mexico and 7 have no US presence at all.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  3. Tony M

Tony M Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Club:
    --other--
    There is a group trying to bring a team to Cleveland, Ohio. I hope they succeed!

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NWSL re-launched it's website recently. I'm not sure I like it, or at least I'm having to re-learn where to find info on it. (I still haven't found some of the info that I look for...)

blissett repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not sure I like it either. :cautious:

6. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The website redesign is brutal.

The worst part is there's almost always one of the live games whose score isn't being shown and you have to click the back arrow to see it. I forgot NC and Seattle were playing just now because going to the website had that score off to the left as if it was a finished game.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The sale of the Reign has officially gone through. They are now majority-owned by the Carlyle Group, with the Seattle Sounders as minority (and managing) owners, and Sounders-majority-owner Adrian Hanauer as new Reign chairman. The Predmores sold their portion of the team a while ago, but Tony Parker still has 3% of the team in the new deal.
    https://www.sounderatheart.com/2024/06/seattle-reign-sale-sounders-carlyle-complete/
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/40365403/seattle-sounders-group-seattle-reign-purchase
    In related news, the sale of the Wave is apparently ongoing with a "two part-transaction" (instead of completed in march as previously reported) with a value between $113 million and $120 million. For reference, the Reign's sale now was "just" $58 million, which itself is an insane ROI for the OL Groupe's original $3.5 million purchase several years ago.

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    blissett and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not know there was a rule on attempted time wasting, as distinguished from time wasting. Can anyone find the rule? I can't, although it may be somewhere.

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I know the article explicitly mentions an "attempt at time wasting", but after all wasn't it, at least in some measure, a successful attempt? And anyway, couldn't the YC actually have to do with sportsmanship? Actually I am not sure if "unsportsmanlike conduct" is mentioned in the rules ad a YC worthy infraction, but I guess so.

14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Law 12, bold mine:

Referees must caution players who delay the restart of play by:
    • appearing to take a throw-in but suddenly leaving it to a team-mate to take
    • delaying leaving the field of play when being substituted
    • excessively delaying a restart
    • kicking or carrying the ball away, or provoking a confrontation by deliberately touching the ball after the referee has stopped play
    • taking a free kick from the wrong position to force a retake

JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you read this carefully, the bullet points apply only if the condition in the opening phrase is met: "...players who delay the restart of play by: ...." This means that the player must have delayed the restart of play. So an attempted delay that in fact does not delay does not violate the rule. I wondered about this, because it appeared to me that Smith retrieved the ball and gave it to Muller as soon as Muller was ready to receive it. Maybe there was a delay of a second or two. I guess technically that would fit within the rule. But I am not sure play would have been able to begin any earlier if Smith simply had not touched the ball at all and instead allowed it to roll where it wanted.

Maybe this point was made in the initial appeal and the decision was there was an actual delay. I would love to see the written appeal decision. But whatever the decision on that point, given the specific language of the rule and what I observed on the video, it seems unlikely to me that the appeal meets the "frivolous" test.

But then, I am a retired attorney who specialized in drafting and interpreting rules, some of them very technical and complex.

16. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would interpret it as those bullet points being considered inherently delaying actions. To give a caution for this offense, the referee must immediately determine that the caution is deserved and show the card. If she waits for the restart to happen in order to verify it really gets delayed, then at that point it's too late to give the caution.

As for what Smith actually did, Muller was walking toward the ball and about two strides away from it before Smith touched it. Smith grabbed the ball and put it behind herself under the bench. At that point Muller was standing right where the ball used to be and had to wait a beat for Smith to retrieve the ball (possibly a different ball?). It wasn't a huge amount of time, but it was an action that served no sporting purpose, and it made it more difficult for the active participants in the game to do a timely restart.

IMO also the threshold for deserving a caution for delaying tactics should be lower for non-participating personnel, who really shouldn't be doing anything that affects game play. If they are helpful by getting the ball to a throw-in quicker, fine, but anything that skirts the line, they should just not be doing it at all.

blissett and Read Only repped this.
  17. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've bolded the problem with your assertion here. Even you have admitted that Smith delayed the restart of the game. There is no time frame requirement in the rules, just that there was a delay in the restart by carrying the ball. If you watch the replay, Smith grabs the ball and pushes it under the bench. As a player on the bench, there is no reason why she would do that other than to delay restart of the game. Could the referee have let it slide? For sure, but there is a lot less tolerance for players on the bench interfering with the game, so its understandable why the referee had zero tolerance when they may have been more lenient for a player on the field.

blissett repped this.
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    2024 championship details have been announced:

CPKC Stadium, Saturday November 24th, 8pmET

Not a bad choice IMO, but sad that it's so attendance-limiting. But it's the current crown jewel of NWSL, plus if you wanted to pick a stadium of a team likely to win the Shield, ORL doesn't draw well yet and WAS already hosted recently, so that leaves KC.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  19. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    CNBC is reporting that Bob Iger and his wife Willow Bay are close to buying Angel City FC for a $250M valuation. That would make Angel City far and away the most valuable women's sports team on the planet.

toad455 repped this.
  20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Side note I was just made aware of: this year's Shield leaders have more points at the season's summer break (ORL, 38pts, 16g/26) than last year's Shield winners earned overall (SD, 37pts, 22g)

Noledavey, TheJoeGreene and blissett repped this.
  21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Croix Bethune (WAS) has won RotM for the third consecutive time this year.

Cheetah101 and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Temwa Chawinga (KC) has won PotM for June, following Barbra Banda (ORL, May) and Bia Zanaratto (KC, March/April)

23. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    MLS taking ownership of NWSL?

24. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023

toad455 repped this.
  25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Alright, I replied in the expansion thread before seeing these posts, but based on the above, it looks to me like MLS made an offer looking at the women's leagues as an investment - probably seeing how much the two leagues are poised to continue growing. Read another way, they're cold-calling an offer now because they know they probably won't be able to for much longer by being priced out. The fact that NWSL is shutting down the talk tells me that they didn't solicit the offer and they aren't entertaining it at all, probably because MLS is trying to "get in" to the investment opportunity as low as they can.

Not to mention that a quick Xitter search seems to suggest that no one (outside of maybe the MLS offices) thinks this is a good idea for any parties involved.

toad455 repped this.